UPS Drivers Describe Unsafe Culture of Fear

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
No amount of intimidation will ever make me speed up a pre-trip. You have to know what is covered in DOT pre-trip. I usually get the guideline book, called the Green Book. It has all DOT regulations. Know the DOT required items, and stand your ground. If someone tries rushing you, just ask them, "Which part of the Federal DOT pre-trip are you instructing me to skip?" It will be the last you hear of them rushing your during a pre-trip, or, for that matter, instructions to drive when some kind of equipment is broke.

This kind of stuff never gets past the first time it happens, if ever. Our suits know better. Our problem, is we have an ever growing number of feeder drivers who just don't concern themselves with proper pre-trips, because they are in such a hurry. And not because management pushes them...they only do it out of sheer stupidity.
laziness is the word i'm thinking of.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
laziness is the word i'm thinking of.

Maybe, but these are the clowns that run hourly jobs like they're mileage runs. They don't do safety checks on the road. They work through their meals to get out quicker, they trash the tractors they use, they don't wipe windows and mirrors after washing and they drive around the yards like someone is chasing them. They're likely the drivers you see on the highway with a light out, as they blast by you. And almost without exception, they are the drivers that were burners as package car drivers. Just unsociable, out for themselves, junkyard scoundrels.

Oh, and most likely, involved in accidents and tearing up equipment.

Faceplanted

The people filing this lawsuit better be able to document all of these charges. If you have 34 people who can
testify and prove all these charges are true, UPS has a big problem. But how much is talk and how much is walk.
It's very easy if people filed greviences and there is a paper trail of harassment and retaliation.

I know if attorneys ever saw what goes on in my center during periods of "dark days" aka when a new center manager comes in gun ho... We would be getting paid tons of money as well.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The people filing this lawsuit better be able to document all of these charges. If you have 34 people who can
testify and prove all these charges are true, UPS has a big problem. But how much is talk and how much is walk.
Safety in numbers. And how much of it does UPS buy, to get the outcome they want. They have too much power.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Maybe, but these are the clowns that run hourly jobs like they're mileage runs. They don't do safety checks on the road. They work through their meals to get out quicker, they trash the tractors they use, they don't wipe windows and mirrors after washing and they drive around the yards like someone is chasing them. They're likely the drivers you see on the highway with a light out, as they blast by you. And almost without exception, they are the drivers that were burners as package car drivers. Just unsociable, out for themselves, junkyard scoundrels.

Oh, and most likely, involved in accidents and tearing up equipment.
i probably made an extra 5000 dollars a year cleaning and washing tractors before i could start my run and going to the shop to fix things that the previous driver didn't catch or more probably too lazy to write up.

the bosses would get onto me all year about getting out late but i recorded everything on the IVIS so they really couldn't do anything to me. they knew what the problem was but they would not do anything about it because those kind of drivers made their numbers look good.

smapple

"The drivers say Pearson demanded that each supervisor discipline an employee in writing at least three to five times each day, so that baseless charges are made against workers to keep them in fear. No one is allowed to miss a day of work even if they are injured on the job: One employee was hit by a forklift and was disciplined for an unexcused absence after spending three days in a hospital, according to the complaint.
Workers are denied lunch breaks, disciplined for stealing company property when they take a bathroom break, and supervisors even follow them into the bathroom, getting so close as to make bodily contact, looking over their shoulder while they urinate, according to the complaint.
The hostility and oppression reached a new level in April 2015, when armed guards with live ammunition were hired to patrol and keep watch over employees: This was an intentional policy instituted to accomplish nothing more than to terrorize and intimidate employees, and to foster a culture of fear and discomfort, the complaint states."

Aside from armed guards with live rounds, I've seen all the other stuff at my hub, especially the part about "stealing company property" when people take bathroom breaks along with sups following some people to the bathroom and watching them.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
i probably made an extra 5000 dollars a year cleaning and washing tractors before i could start my run and going to the shop to fix things that the previous driver didn't catch or more probably too lazy to write up.

the bosses would get onto me all year about getting out late but i recorded everything on the IVIS so they really couldn't do anything to me. they knew what the problem was but they would not do anything about it because those kind of drivers made their numbers look good.

Ditto. I get alone great with the mechanics now, but at first, it was rocky. Once they knew I was heading their way for something broke, they rolled their eyes. But they got used to it. I never wavered from that Green Book. For example, not many drivers, it seems, check that all valve stems have caps. But it is a DOT requirement. So when one was missing, to the shop I would go. It didn't take long before the mechanics gave me a bag of those caps to keep in my bag. For me, it keeps me in compliance, and for the mechanics, it keeps me away from the shop.

And my on-road sups? All they ever told to me, was go on breakdown as soon as I found a problem. Easy enough.

I like to think the burners and lazy drivers leave a trail of dollar bills behind them, and that is where I follow.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
All of the mgt is ups freight... I'm glad they are standing up for themselves but I was hoping it was a lawsuit dealing with ups pkg mgt