UPS Driver's Pregnant Wife, has Swine Flu.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I guess I'm old fashioned, Danny. In my marriage, it's my job to bring home the money. I'm sure my wife wouldn't want me holding her comatose hand all day for weeks maybe while we fell behind in the mortgage and the kids went hungry.

As I said, my opinion. I know it's a touchy feely feel good thing that I'm not good at.

But I'm good at working, and I pay my bills.

In a serious enough situation the only thing you can think of is to spend one more minute with someone who might not be here the next. I told my sup at the time that I wasn`t coming in even if it meant I was going to quit. Fortunately they knew the situation and were kind enough not to take me up on it.
You guys both have valid points, but I'm more like 9/5 in this case. I think more along those same lines. When I'm not working I'd be by her side.

You guys both have valid points, but I'm more like 9/5 in this case. I think more along those same lines. When I'm not working I'd be by her side.

If she passed while you were off humping packages how would you feel? If your talking from a standpoint of how you would deal with such a stressful situation by working then I understand. But,at least in my opinion,to put work ahead of a loved one in a serious event like this is something I couldn`t do. Not saying that you or O9 would either but I look at this from 180 degrees opposite. I couldn`t,and didn`t,stay away.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
If she passed while you were off humping packages how would you feel? If your talking from a standpoint of how you would deal with such a stressful situation by working then I understand. But,at least in my opinion,to put work ahead of a loved one in a serious event like this is something I couldn`t do. Not saying that you or O9 would either but I look at this from 180 degrees opposite. I couldn`t,and didn`t,stay away.
I totally get you, cach, but for me, I think the best place would be working. I think my wife would want it this way. Her family would be by her side the whole time and I'd just be in the way. Funny how two family oriented guys could see things in an opposite light.

storm4

Here's another thing to consider. The patient who has family present in a hospital usually receives better care than the ones who are alone. Also, she may be in a coma and not know what is happening, but her body is going to be feeling the loss of her child. At least with her husband there, there is a chance that she will feel his presence and hopefully that will give her the will power to fight to stay alive. Given what she is going through, she needs him now more than ever and given what he knows, he needs to be with her not only to grieve the loss of his baby, but for his own healing. I cannot imagine anyone going through this being able to focus on work and if he is driving, it could be dangerous. As part of the UPS family, we all need to reach out and pray, offer support, and if it is possible, send financial support to help them through this time. My prayers are with this family.

Part of it may how long of a hospital stay is involved. The longer it went the more I worked but I still went there as soon as I punched out. Initially I left the hospital maybe three times in the first two weeks.

over9five

Staff member
Cachs situation is a little different in that his gf was almost killed in an accident.

The woman in the story was in a medically induced coma.

Actually, that's a huge difference.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Cachs situation is a little different in that his gf was almost killed in an accident.

The woman in the story was in a medically induced coma.

Actually, that's a huge difference.
But we are powerless in both cases. God is good and I trust Him to be there when I'm not and even when I am.

My wife was never conscious but was placed in a medically induced coma initially for brain swelling severe enough to require part of her skull to be removed but also to allow the series of surgeries,eleven in the first eighteen days,to repair the most serious damage in order to stabilize her.
It`s hard to describe what the feeling is and I hope you guys never experience it. The best way to describe it is it is almost impossible to focus on anything outside of that hospital room and there is a fear that if you leave that will be the instant that you are needed.

over9five

Staff member
In the medically induced coma, there is no surprise, no shock. I assume the woman knew about it, discussed it with hubby, and decided to be put into the coma. I would have let my wife know that I would be there every night after work.

In an accident there is no deciding. There is shock, pain, and trauma. Huge difference in the two scenarios.

You have a point there in how sudden it happens. One thing that has come of it is my wife has a living will against being placed on life support like that ever again.

over9five

Staff member
You have a point there in how sudden it happens. One thing that has come of it is my wife has a living will against being placed on life support like that ever again.

But why is that? In her case, it saved her and gave her many good years.

Just curious, really I'm with her on that.

She says,and despite speaking to numerous doctors and therapists,that she remembers being in the coma and hearing people speaking about what to do with her and her trying to speak or move in response. The doctors say these are memories from outside of the initial two weeks as she was brought out of the coma. Being back in this type of situation terrifies her,something she describes as "drowning". Also she had many severe injuries that still cause her varying amounts of pain to this day. Most days shes fine but she can have anything from body aches all the way to having to go to the hospital and be placed on I.V. painkillers. Fortunately those days are few but she worries about having them more often as she gets older.
So when we had our wills and trusts revised after our second child she made them put that in to hers.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
In this situation, there is no right or wrong, different people handle things differently than others. And that is alright. there is no one size fits all in this discussion.

The issue is that while the wife is in the coma, she really is not aware of what is going on. But the fact that she is in very serious condition changes the picture at least for me. And of course the death of the baby is also a factor.

But everyone handles things differently. And for sure, I am not advocating spending months at her side either.

Somewhere there is a balance, for some it is closer to one way, for others the other direction. There is no loss of respect for either side from my viewpoint.

d

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
In this situation, there is no right or wrong, different people handle things differently than others. And that is alright. there is no one size fits all in this discussion.

The issue is that while the wife is in the coma, she really is not aware of what is going on. But the fact that she is in very serious condition changes the picture at least for me. And of course the death of the baby is also a factor.

But everyone handles things differently. And for sure, I am not advocating spending months at her side either.

Somewhere there is a balance, for some it is closer to one way, for others the other direction. There is no loss of respect for either side from my viewpoint.

d
Well said!

bigbrownhen

Im with Cach on this one guys. I would be there not at work. My mind wouldn't be on the job anyway, talk about distracted driving. I could see once immediate danger of death was over to go back to work, but not if it was still very possible.
I think I would be able to feel my husbands presence on some level, and it would be a comfort. If the unthinkable would happen, we would both be at each others side if possible. Just the way we are I suppose.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
This is starting to be like the Poseidon Adventure. Cach and his followers are going to what used to be the top of the ship, while 9/5 and his crew are trying to get to the engine room.

[video=youtube;Wv606_OTZas]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv606_OTZas[/video]

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Stug

In the example you gave, there was a logical wrong and right way.

But in this situation, each participant is different. And that difference needs to be respected by those that take the opposite view.

I would have a hard time staying focused while my wife or child was at risk. And a distracted driver is an unsafe driver. Dont you agree?

That being said, there are those that would welcome getting their minds off the matter, and do better when they are very busy. Thats OK too. To each their own.

Not here to make a judgment call, it just is what it is, for both parties.

I just thank God we do have a choice.

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
When I got the call that our friend had passed away, there was no way I could work. I would not have made it thru the day having to work and deal with that. It was the one day that I was truly glad that I had a sup on board. He was a godsend that day. He wasn't even one of my sups. He was up helping get PAS set up.

I can't even imagine what this driver is going thru. My prayers.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Got to admit you lost me on that one.
It was a try at humor. I'm right, you're wrong, but I was kidding.:happy-very: We do what we do and that's it.

Stug

In the example you gave, there was a logical wrong and right way.

But in this situation, each participant is different. And that difference needs to be respected by those that take the opposite view.

I would have a hard time staying focused while my wife or child was at risk. And a distracted driver is an unsafe driver. Dont you agree?

That being said, there are those that would welcome getting their minds off the matter, and do better when they are very busy. Thats OK too. To each their own.

Not here to make a judgment call, it just is what it is, for both parties.

I just thank God we do have a choice.

d
I agree that if this scenario is that much of a distraction, then you shouldn't drive. I just wouldn't have a problem is all I'm saying. I'll be quiet now.:peaceful::whiteflag: