UPS Drivers Who Avoid Accidents for 25 Years Get Arm Patch and Bomber Jacket

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS Drivers Who Avoid Accidents for 25 Years Get Arm Patch and Bomber Jacket - Wall Street Journal

Chadd Bunker says his friends and relatives tell him he drives like an old man. Roll through a stop sign? He would never do that. Exceed the speed limit? Not on your life. He makes three right turns to avoid a left. He can be annoying.

But Mr. Bunker, who is only 48 years old, is no ordinary driver. He recently became one of the proud, lucky few to reach the delivery driver equivalent of Eagle Scout—the United Parcel Service Inc. UPS's Circle of Honor.

The award goes to those who manage to drive their big brown trucks without having an "avoidable" accident, for years and years. That isn't easy since UPS considers nearly every kind of accident avoidable. A scratch on the truck while backing up, or a tree branch hitting the vehicle and breaking a mirror, they both count as accidents that might have been avoided.

rod

Retired 22 years
I wonder if UPS would trade my orange sport coat (blazer) we got for joining the circle of honor club for a bomber jacket---actually something a person could wear.

I like the way he parallel parks at the end of the video. I bet he carries a can of brown paint with him at all times. By the way---where is the on/car riding with him yelling faster-faster.

Last edited:
We were still getting a choice of the blazer or the bomber a few years ago but no was picking the blazer so it may have been eliminated.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
I wonder if UPS would trade my orange sport coat (blazer) we got for joining the circle of honor club for a bomber jacket---actually something a person could wear.

You mean when you go to Long John Silvers for a afternoon lunch you don't wear your Yellow Jacket. That is just ridiculous.

Packmule

Does the patch accurately say "lying sack of $@(/" ?
In our building, they once retired a Circle of Honor driver that, among other minor things,bragged of having killed 25 dogs in his less than 30 career. Today you get crucified for one.
I ran into him one day and he told me the secret to safe driving awards is don't admit to nuthin'.

rod

Retired 22 years
In our building, they once retired a Circle of Honor driver that, among other minor things,bragged of having killed 25 dogs in his less than 30 career. Today you get crucified for one.
I ran into him one day and he told me the secret to safe driving awards is don't admit to nuthin'.

And stay friendly with your center mechanic. He has control over the replacement mirrors and brown paint.

sryno

TGIF@1845
Wow... The dude has what looks like just a few packages on his car... Hope mine looks like that when I'm at his age.....

Sent using My busted body.

Upsking

You guys sound a lil jealous and petty And by the way the bomber jacket sucks. Low quality crap. I also got jipped out of my 20 yr award cheap bastards.

Sent using BrownCafe App

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
The only choice I had was the century 21 jacket, then they cut out the banquets. I asked my manager if he could get me one of those bomber jackets and he said he'd look into it. yeahrightsure If they complain about not being able give you uniforms because the monthly budget is shot on the 2nd of the month, fat chance they would swap out jackets. I was dreamin lol.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The only choice I had was the century 21 jacket, then they cut out the banquets. I asked my manager if he could get me one of those bomber jackets and he said he'd look into it. yeahrightsure If they complain about not being able give you uniforms because the monthly budget is shot on the 2nd of the month, fat chance they would swap out jackets. I was dreamin lol.

Even if you were able to swap out jackets where in the hell would you wear it?

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
1. Well, there is a very slight chance I'd wear the leather jacket. but a 0% chance I'll every wear the century 21 jacket. 2. It would cost UPS money to give me a leather jacket, and I'm all over that.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

True That!!!

Sent using BrownCafe App

modee

I was awarded with a very nice leather jacket and have my name and Circle of Honor emblem with my name on the sides of my car. It looks like a bullseye.