UPS Drops A Very Important Package

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Brian O’Shea seemed like great guy to me, I knew he was sick,but only learned of his death from this article, sad situation ,but not at all surprised. I hope his sister can get his pension restored for his family, if she's anything like Brian, she will work hard and get the job done !! RIP Brian !!

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
What you call legalese is actually contract language designed to protect both the employer and the employee. Any deviation from this language would create a precedent in the event something like this happens again in the future
First of all, this guy is in no way covered by any contract that covers us. Hopefully his sister can do something on his behalf to make sure his kids are taken care of. I don't see the company doing it on their own volition. They have already spoken by their actions. Maybe if they get enough bad publicity they would flip flop. We all know how important bad pub is to this outfit.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
First of all, this guy is in no way covered by any contract that covers us. Hopefully his sister can do something on his behalf to make sure his kids are taken care of. I don't see the company doing it on their own volition. They have already spoken by their actions. Maybe if they get enough bad publicity they would flip flop. We all know how important bad pub is to this outfit.
I know this is a new concept but there are contracts outside of company union contracts.
There is a contact in place between UPS and the UPS Pension Fund.
Some things are bigger than a Texan brain can figure ... go figure. :wink-very:

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
We can discuss or agree to disagree, but to insinuate that because I'm from Texas, that I'm somehow slow or brain challenged is an insult. I might expect that from some trolls on here, but certainly not a staff member.

Z

ZQXC

We can discuss or agree to disagree, but to insinuate that because I'm from Texas, that I'm somehow slow or brain challenged is an insult. I might expect that from some trolls on here, but certainly not a staff member.

Well, he's from Georgia.

The only good thing that ever came out of Georgia was an empty Greyhound bus.

purplesky

UPS Drops A Very Important Package - 06880

Brian O’Shea got a job with UPS during college, and never left. He worked his way up the management ranks, doing important undercover theft work up and down the East Coast.

In late 2008 he was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer. He kept working through brutal chemo. In fact, he used vacation days for treatment. When his supervisor encouraged him to take disability leave, he refused. His motto: “I live for my work.”

“Brian was so proud when he signed the paperwork UPS sent in December,” his sister Sharon recalls. “He was very happy, knowing UPS would take care of his 4 children after he died. They each would receive a monthly stipend for 10 years. That would be a life-changer for them. He had total belief in UPS, and was so dedicated to them.”

Brian died February 21.

“Someone in Atlanta headquarters said that because he died 7 days before he officially retired, he was still an employee, so he was not entitled to retirement pay.”

Hopefully he accumalated a decent amount of UPS stock,401k,etc. plus hopefully his minor kids will receive social security to help this situation?

Just hoping for the best for his family.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The legal entity that is denying the deceased employee's heirs his retirement is NOT UPS, it is the UPS Employee Retirement Program.
It is set up as a separate legal entity so UPS cannot influence decisions made in the distribution of funds, funding of the program, etc.
I remember that the UPS Board and Management Committee wanted to offer pre-55 management early-retirement and they could not do so because of the "tightness" of the legal language of the UPS Employee Retirement Program.

oldngray

nowhere special
His family should have stuck dear old dad in the freezer for a week then said he died (just kidding). Where he got screwed was UPS policy is his employment terminated when he died even though he was still on vacation.

beentheredonethat

I thought at first he wasn't 55, but it says he is. So does this mean that if I'm 55+ and decide to keep working then I drop dead my wife wouldn't be entitled to the spousal share of my retirement?

rod

Retired 22 years
Reminds me of when my Dad died. When my brothers and I were taking care of his stuff we stopped at the Social Security office to see what was needed to be done to stop his SS checks. (We didn't know at the time that the funeral home did this as required by law). I happened to have his last un-cashed check sticking out of my shirt pocket. The gal asked to see the check. I thought she just wanted to get some info off it so I handed it to her. She grabbed it and said "he isn't entitled to this check because he died on May 30 and he would have had to live until midnight May 31 to claim it". Let that be a lesson to any of you who go through this situation. I've talked to many people after that who say the had cashed their loved ones last check and nothing was ever said.