UPS Economic cleansing!!

Beat'n Black n Brown

Non-union DHL just went belly up, while unionized UPS posted a $1.6 billion profit last quarter.
DHL is not non union.........They are 705 in the Chicagoland area...
None of the auto companies or airlines made $1.6 billion last quarter.

When our contract expires in 4 1/2 years, if UPS is losing money then it might be necessary to talk about concessions. Until then, I see no reason to give anything back.

I would be willing to discuss a temporary plan to freeze full-time wages in exchange for minimizing layoffs, as long as that plan had some sort of sunset clause that is directly tied into volume levels.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
My father is manger of transportation of a large power company in the South and southeast, and says that DHLs situation and volume has already been worked out. The volume for the most part isn't coming to UPS. I am not saying that NO volume will come of it for UPS, but that does not sound good. Usually he has the inside word and knows what he's talking about.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
My point with DHL being a non-issue is really very simple, and I have a hard time accepting that the more astute posters on this forum don't get this;

Let's say DHL's last day is January 10th (whatever it is). It is not like on January 11th there will be a million DHL customers for UPS to pick & choose from, to pick up as customers.

ALL large DHL customers have already chosen their new delivery service, be it FedEx or UPS. All others that have lived in a cave for the last year and caught unaware at DHLs demise add up to a handfull, no more than what is already out there as UPS sales leads.

Mark my words - you heard it here first - the UPS-saving DHL volume won't even cause a noticable bump in sales figures. Any significant volume has already changed hands. The time to sell these customers was 6 months ago, not after the horse got out of the barn.

tellitstraight

Here we go -- check out UPSERS.COM - UPS is closing the NDA sorts in CAE (Columbia SC) and DFW in Feb. This looks like it could effect about 40 flights or 20 aircraft per night. This is huge - also just read in the paper we are pulling out of Decauter Il on Feb (2 more aircraft). I have been with UPS for over 15 years and up until now I have only seen us grow - this is scary!