UPS Employee DHS Employment Verification

companal2

HR Supv
Hey, don't waste time filing grievances. The guidelines from the Department of Homeland Security regarding the I-9 verfications are very clear and you WILL NOT be paid for your time completing it. This re-verification process is larger than UPS or the Teamsters. All companies that have any type of contracts or sub-contracts with the Feds will have to re-verify the I-9s for their employees as well. All union and non-union employees will have to complete the form. Oh, btw, the consequences for not completing the I-9 will lead to termination.

over9five

Staff member
Hmmm, It says that after we do the online form, we have to meet with a HR person to show our IDs to. Is the HR person getting paid to do this? Did the HR person do their own I-9 info on their own time? I betcha every management person at UPS did this during their normal work hours.

Just sayin.....Devils Advocate and all that....

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
So I logged on to the UPSers.com site with every intention of providing the required information.

The form to be filled out requires that I type in my Social Security number online.

Nope. Sorry. Aint gonna happen. I have no way to verify what part of cyberspace that information will wind up in.

I do not have a passport. I do have a drivers license, a social security card, a birth certificate, and a concealed handgun permit. If UPS needs to see any of this stuff, I will be more than happy to provide it.... in person... but there is no way in hell I am doing it online.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
In our PCM we were told that if we hadn't completed this process by Jan 31st we would be terminated. Also told that if you couldn't do it online just go up to HR and they would walk you through it.

Kae3106

You don't need a passport. However, if you do have a valid US passport, it will be the only document you will need to show as it establishes both your citizenship and serves as a photo ID. Without a passport, they require one doc that proves citizenship (The Social Security card or birth certificate) and one doc that serves as a photo ID (Driver's license, state issued ID card, etc.)

There should be a list of acceptable documents listed online. It's one from Column A (establishes citizenship and ID like the passport) OR a combination of one from Column B (citizenship doc) and one from Column C (photo ID).

EmerCond421

In our PCM we were told that if we hadn't completed this process by Jan 31st we would be terminated. Also told that if you couldn't do it online just go up to HR and they would walk you through it.

Read the paperwork that came w/ the pcm. If I recall correctly - stated March 15, 2010. Termination/separated is the policy. HR is all well and good, but it's 200 miles away!! Wondered what if someone doesn't have a computer? HR for most people is only a few steps away but our last retired driver was computerless and computer illiterate and would have had to drive 300 miles one way.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Read the paperwork that came w/ the pcm. If I recall correctly - stated March 15, 2010. Termination/separated is the policy. HR is all well and good, but it's 200 miles away!! Wondered what if someone doesn't have a computer? HR for most people is only a few steps away but our last retired driver was computerless and computer illiterate and would have had to drive 300 miles one way.
Someone should man up and push them on this to see if they really try and fire you. Maybe Thelus, since he's already filing a grievance over the lost time.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

If someone doesn't have a computer we are allowed to log in at the center and complete the form. For many, this will be the first time on UPSers.com.

Re: Feeder Driver DHS Employment Verification

Generally speaking, I would tend to agree with you.

However....I work for a company that will spend literally hours of time investigating and threatening discipline over a one-minute "discrepancy" in a drivers recorded lunch time based upon a Telematics readout.

So...is it stupid to file a grievance over the minute or two of time spent filling out a DHS form? Probably....but that is a mentality that the company created.

If mgmt is spending hours on a driver's a minute discrepency there is more to the story than that.

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
Someone should man up and push them on this to see if they really try and fire you. Maybe Thelus, since he's already filing a grievance over the lost time.
Its simple call me into the office during my shift,have me fill it out, let me go on my way and there will be no grievance

D

Dis-organized Labor

Not me! Made the cutoff! I`ll just be waiting patiently here for the word to active the sleeper cell I`m in charge of. Muhahaahah:devil3:

Meant to say this earlier today

Cach, may I redirct you to the "Suspicious Behavior" thread

Cheryl, Do we have a "Department of Brown Cafe Land Security"? (DBS). I don't even trust myself shaving anymore.
Cach may be a mole that got himself a CDL license and I don't know, I'm not capable of comprehending what he and his cell are up to.
All I know is that I am very afraid!:dead: His smiley is making me very suspicous

EmerCond421

If someone doesn't have a computer we are allowed to log in at the center and complete the form. For many, this will be the first time on UPSers.com.

We, unfortunately, do not have a computer or internet service at our center. The last computer we had about 5-6 years ago, before it was removed, was running windows 95! :knockedout:

soberups

Re: Feeder Driver DHS Employment Verification

If mgmt is spending hours on a driver's a minute discrepency there is more to the story than that.

The story is that they just spent tens of thousands of dollars wiring the center up with Telematics and training the management people to use it.

That expense must now be justified....which means that if they cant find a problem to solve they will simply make one up.

Its not about solutions; its about manipulating metrics and producing reports in order to create the illusion of an accomplishment.

soberups

Which doesnt change the fact that I refuse to put my Social Security number onto some Internet website.

I'm not objecting to the fact that I need to provide the documentation; I'm objecting to the manner in which they are insisting that it be collected.

As I recall, I showed them a SS card and a drivers license 23 years ago when I got hired. Why am I being required to do it again?

bluehdmc

It just seems a little redundant to me. If I fill out the form online, then have to go to HR to show the proper documents anyway why waste my time twice? We haven't heard anything about this although I'm a feeder driver with an airport ID and had to get fingerprinted, employment background. I also have a Hazmat endorsement on my license, have to get fingerprinted everytime I renew my license (at about $90 my cost), again Homeland Security.

Halliburton must be making a fortune off of this stuff.
Do any other feeder drivers go to a railyard with the touch screen terminals?
That's another Homeland Security thing, used to be you gave the feeder card to the clerk in the booth and he told you where to put the trailer. Now you put your railyard ID into the touch screen (have to "touch" the screen 2-3 times sometimes), put the trailer # in. Put the seal numbers in, then the clerk, who now sits inside the building, scans the back of the trailer to check the seals. Certainly isn't a "timesaver", system always tells you to put trailer one place, railyard personnel tell you to put it somewhere else. (so shifters can put it on the train). "Modern technology", the only ones making out on this are the geeks, (and probably Halliburton).

The part that bothers me aside from sending my SSN over the internet is that the form states that it is an electronic signature and the company will automatically apply YOUR ELECTRONIC SIGNATURE to FUTURE documents.

What does that mean? They get to put my signature on documents I haven't seen or read?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The part that bothers me aside from sending my SSN over the internet is that the form states that it is an electronic signature and the company will automatically apply YOUR ELECTRONIC SIGNATURE to FUTURE documents.

What does that mean? They get to put my signature on documents I haven't seen or read?

This will be limited to documents needed for the I-9 verification only.

iowa boy

Nothing on UPSers here yet. No PCM, no stupid flyer hanging by the timeclock, nothing at all here.

Got onto UPSers.com this morning, and found the link to do the verification. Started filling out the form online and got to my SS# spot, and my SS# showed up plain as day. No black dots in place of the numbers, just all my numbers plain as day. Website said it was secure, but sorry, I'm not taking any chances here on my end. I will fill out the paper work in person, not online.

over9five

Staff member
I think you guys worry too much!

I'll tell you what's going to happen: The company will say, "OK, just bring your SS number to HR, and we'll take care of it there".
Then, as soon as you leave, they will enter it for you on the secure web-site.
AND THEN, they will throw the lil piece of paper they wrote your SS# on INTO THE WASTE BASKET. Where the custodian will find it and steal your identity.

I truly believe it's safer on the secured web-site than in an HR persons hands.