UPS Employee Dies After Being Pinned By Truck

Tiny Panda

I've always said the use of the horn in the yard is a bad idea, when the yard is busy and horns are going off all the time you dont know who is reversing and who isnt, i've always said having reversing beepers is the safer option, at least when you hear one you know that someone is reversing not have to look around every time you hear a horn

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I've always said the use of the horn in the yard is a bad idea, when the yard is busy and horns are going off all the time you dont know who is reversing and who isnt, i've always said having reversing beepers is the safer option, at least when you hear one you know that someone is reversing not have to look around every time you hear a horn
Add that to the 3 point seat belt. These will be found on the to-do list, which will be filed in the proper receptacle.:dissapointed:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Reversing beepers give the driver a false sense of security IMO but do give those outside of the vehicle notice; however, if you are in a busy yard with horns glaring what difference if any would back up beepers make?

This was an unfortunate incident in which someone did not follow the proper yard procedures and ended up with a fatality.

bluehdmc

This may sound crazy but I think the horn is better (IF IT'S USED). I used to work in construction around heavy equipment, all that stuff has backup alarms, after awhile, hearing them constantly they tend to get ignored. You almost can't tell where they are coming from. You even start to get used to the horns beeping, but how many times do you look up?

over9five

Staff member
They have two main rules for driving around the ramps and runways at Logan.

1. Aircraft always have the right of way. (not really applicable for the yard)

2. Pay attention!

Pay Attention. It really will save lives. The yard IS a dangerous place.

Tiny Panda

I know they wouldnt make a difference if safety procedures arent followed, in fact everything is useless if that isnt followed.

I understand what blue is saying about construction sites, there is numerous vehicles that have beepers like you say, i don't know what it is like in the US but here in the UK we have nothing at our place that has beepers, in the evening it is horns galore from driving into the warehouse, round the corner of the warehouse, backing up, tooting because someone is in the way etc etc, all the same noise so you dont know whether it is someone backing up or just saying hi to the washer guy walking the other way.

What i mean is that at least with a backing beeper you know that somone somewhere is backing up so can be aware, look up when you hear a horn and see someone to your right driving into the warehouse but to your left someone is backing up. At least the beepers are on the back end of the vehicle instead of 40ft away on the front of the truck the otherside of the noisy engine, not much use if you are behind the trailer

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
This may sound crazy but I think the horn is better (IF IT'S USED). I used to work in construction around heavy equipment, all that stuff has backup alarms, after awhile, hearing them constantly they tend to get ignored. You almost can't tell where they are coming from. You even start to get used to the horns beeping, but how many times do you look up?
I was pulling on to US1 this past Friday, and cleared the highway, before entering. As I pulled on to the highway I was suddenly startled by a loud truck horn. If I wasn't belted, I may have hit the roof of the cab. Turns out the horn I heard was the FedEx ground guy on the opposite side of the highway, saying hello.:knockedout:

They have two main rules for driving around the ramps and runways at Logan.

1. [-]Aircraft[/-] Pkg cars, Trucks and Yard equipment always have the right of way. (not really applicable for the yard)

2. Pay attention!

Pay Attention. It really will save lives. The yard IS a dangerous place.
There, I fixed it for ya.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Too many times a tragic injury or death is the results of cutting corners or taking a short cut.

Not too long ago, an employee was taking the shortcut out the loading dock door to another truck. saw the other guy backing in, but jumped out to save a few dozen steps. That action cost him both legs, one below the knee, the other right above. Was not at UPS, but the same thing happens at UPS as well.

Not trying to assess fault or blame to anyone, but man times looking back, something like this could have been prevented had we just taken the time to do the job correctly. Like wearing seatbelts? Like not backing as your first movement after delivery.

My heartfelt sorrow for the family that lost their loved one, and as well for the driver that has to carry the burden of this loss forever.

d And shame on the two UPSers that dont have better manners than to spout their petty crap on this thread. Kinda like doing it at the funeral home. Take if off thread guys.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Two different threads so far have discussed two separate accidents recently - both had a better chance of not happening if UPS were to use industry-standard, heck, worldwide standard devices - self-canceling directionals, and a reverse warning beeper.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Ya know, fault, blame, failure, yup, they were all part of the tragedies.

Problem is, the people that started this thread did so as a "internet wake" for those of us that care to leave condolences etc.. Who knows, the family of both might well be lurking and reading the posts. IT has happened in the past where the family of both employees read what was said.

If you want to comment on what happened as to fault, blame etc, start a new thread. But when its posted like this one was for those to post condolences, and some people without manners come slinging mud.....It just aint right.

You wanna disect what happened, fine. A good learning experience for sure. Start the thread to do that. But leave this one alone for what it was started for. And internet wake for one employee who will never go home, and another who's world has crashed and burned.

d

brown67

In our pcm they said the man who was killed was pinned between the door and the dock for 2 hours before they found them. Unloader opened the door and found him pinned there dead.

Channahon

In our pcm they said the man who was killed was pinned between the door and the dock for 2 hours before they found them. Unloader opened the door and found him pinned there dead.

Having been in managment for over 27 years and being accountable for hours worked by employees, if this unfortunate casualty of UPS was not found for 2 hours, then someone was not doing their job.

Be it the shifter or feeder driver? I don't know, as I never worked in feeders.

The management person is held accountable for hours worked, for their operation, had to audit the timecards for a post sort meeting. And if an employee had not punched out as expected, then someone should have known their whereabouts, and looked for the employee, prior to the next sort.

JMO