UPS Employee Dies After Being Pinned By Truck

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Having been in managment for over 27 years and being accountable for hours worked by employees, if this unfortunate casualty of UPS was not found for 2 hours, then someone was not doing their job.

Be it the shifter or feeder driver? I don't know, as I never worked in feeders.

The management person is held accountable for hours worked, for their operation, had to audit the timecards for a post sort meeting. And if an employee had not punched out as expected, then someone should have known their whereabouts, and looked for the employee, prior to the next sort.

JMO
Was probably blown off as a forgot to punch before going home. Wonder if this played into whether it was a fatality or not?:dissapointed:

bluehdmc

Two different threads so far have discussed two separate accidents recently - both had a better chance of not happening if UPS were to use industry-standard, heck, worldwide standard devices - self-canceling directionals, and a reverse warning beeper.

Backup alarms are not a requirement, see previous post where people get used to hearing them and almost get run over. Another post mentions looking up when a horn blew and it was someone saying hi to someone on the wash rack, BUT.......it made them look.
Most heavy trucks and buses do not have "self-canceling" directionals, as one driver where I worked once said, "You use your pinky on your left hand to cancel the turn signal."
I'd say one of the biggest contributing factors was the individual was not wearing a vest, if it's true he was listening to an MP3 player that makes it worse.

Backup alarms are not a requirement, see previous post where people get used to hearing them and almost get run over. Another post mentions looking up when a horn blew and it was someone saying hi to someone on the wash rack, BUT.......it made them look.
Most heavy trucks and buses do not have "self-canceling" directionals, as one driver where I worked once said, "You use your pinky on your left hand to cancel the turn signal."
I'd say one of the biggest contributing factors was the individual was not wearing a vest, if it's true he was listening to an MP3 player that makes it worse.
You're right, backup alarms are not required by law, but why does it have to be required by law before it is in place? All kinds of arguments can be levied as why not to use them but none of them really make any sense.
The one factor (if it is even true) is the MP3 player plugged into the ears. The vest or no vest can be irrelevant, the brightest vest made can't be seen in the trucks blind spot.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer

Not law, no - I said, roughly "Industry/Worldwide Standard simple safety items that cost nothing and add another warning/layer of safety". It is a no-brainer. To say they shouldn't be used because they are ingored is an argument for getting people to pay attention, nothing else.