UPS employee falls ill due to extreme heat

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
i like to tell roofers , lawn maint. people, construction laborers, (the list goes on and on) that i see working during the day how hot it is, and how i make 30 plus a hr doing it

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

To All,

I hope the employee refered to in this thread who suffered from heat related illness is ok.

If anyone has a follow up please post it.

Integrity believes that all UPS vehicles and facilities should be air conditioned.

It is a disgrace that this is not the case at UPS.

There are no acceptable excuses for this not to be so in the year 2011.

There is one and only one reason for this and that is greed and it is wrong.

Sincerely,
I

Air conditioning the vehicles and facilities, while a nice thing to do, would not make any sense.

D

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Most of the factories and warehouses I deliver to are air conditioned these days. Everything runs better. Machines, computers and especially the people.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
For me, acclimation is everything. I spend most of my time outside and prefer to really enjoy the ac away from work. Maybe if I had a mostly indoor route, which btw I wouldn't choose, I would want to stay acclimated to that as much as possible. If I were to get in and out of a cool cab all day my ass would be dragging. If they ever install it I'll be happy for you all and just turn mine off. 's why I said IMO. Don't hold yer breath. I prefer to spend my energy working on realistic goals like humane treatment. I am grateful to have a fan in my cab. Sad:true.

HomeDelivery

Fyi, the fedex cars here all have ac. Just saying. Some sups who don't work in them don't believe they need fans either.

not true in my fedex terminal... most of those workhorses, freightliners, and repainted DHL ford e350/450 stepvans only have buttons for AC, but they don't work... the only ones that has operating AC were the standard cargo vans, the sprinters, and the rental vehicles.

since my contractor has more routes than vehicles, i get one of those budget 10' trucks instead w/ AC :P

are you guys allowed to bring a 12v plug-in fan to the cigar lighter socket & just clip the fan in your package vehicle? that's what I had to do when I was assigned a package van without AC before...

-------------------

i prefer the dog days of summer over the blizzard/ ice / snow of peak season.

I bring a gallon jug of gatorade/tang/lemonade/fruitpunch (from a powdered mix) and another gallon jug of water, along with a small cooler filled with ice. then I also use 2 sport bottles & constantly hydrate myself... rotate the one sport bottle inside the cooler to chill the liquid while drinking out of the other. that seems to work for me for the past 6 years of summertime fun.

even with an AC vehicle, the constant changes from an AC unit to the outside hot/humid air (was like 90% humid one day) also took a toll on me during the peak of the day. I was lucky I only had 8 stops left on that day before ending my route...

sweat most of the fluids i was drinking most of the time & have a porta john just in case

also bring another uniform shirt, deoderant, spare socks to change out of if I feel like it. Sometimes having a dry shirt/socks gives me that 2nd-wind boost i need to get through my 10-14 hour days.

I also hear it on the purple side; they had to go to the hospital because they didn't prepare for those hot days ( & I cover a driver or 2 routes that had heat exhaustion almost every year) a few bucks spent on fluids is much better than the trip to the ER and getting an IV to re-hydrate & cool down.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Part of the enjoyment of the job is the appreciation I can take in simple things. Ice-cold water, Nabs, a cool bathroom and soap. A smile or a kind word, even a nod of acknowledgement.

If ppl really believe it's a safety issue, make some noise. The National leaves installation of fans up to individual districts. I intend to have different language in our 2013 supplement b/c they took ours out a couple years ago. It's 100+ here.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
So true: Anyone who follows cycling knows that sometimes your body just won't work as expected. Remember what happened in the 2006 and this year's Tour De France?
I agree package cars do not need air, at least where I am, I dont know about the historically hot places. Its only been really hot here as of late, and doesnt usually get that way, so for now, yes we suck it up. If we can. I dont know the answer for those who cant, prayer I guess. Or vacations.
The thread is about someone getting ill from the heat, hope he is Ok. Once it happens, you cannot stop it, unless you drop dead. And sometimes depending on age, health, etc of people, it can happen no matter what you do to prevent it. Sometimes the body just says screw this.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
not true in my fedex terminal... most of those workhorses, freightliners, and repainted DHL ford e350/450 stepvans only have buttons for AC, but they don't work... the only ones that has operating AC were the standard cargo vans, the sprinters, and the rental vehicles.since my contractor has more routes than vehicles, i get one of those budget 10' trucks instead w/ AC :Pare you guys allowed to bring a 12v plug-in fan to the cigar lighter socket & just clip the fan in your package vehicle? that's what I had to do when I was assigned a package van without AC before...-------------------i prefer the dog days of summer over the blizzard/ ice / snow of peak season. I bring a gallon jug of gatorade/tang/lemonade/fruitpunch (from a powdered mix) and another gallon jug of water, along with a small cooler filled with ice. then I also use 2 sport bottles & constantly hydrate myself... rotate the one sport bottle inside the cooler to chill the liquid while drinking out of the other. that seems to work for me for the past 6 years of summertime fun.even with an AC vehicle, the constant changes from an AC unit to the outside hot/humid air (was like 90% humid one day) also took a toll on me during the peak of the day. I was lucky I only had 8 stops left on that day before ending my route...sweat most of the fluids i was drinking most of the time & have a porta john just in casealso bring another uniform shirt, deoderant, spare socks to change out of if I feel like it. Sometimes having a dry shirt/socks gives me that 2nd-wind boost i need to get through my 10-14 hour days.I also hear it on the purple side; they had to go to the hospital because they didn't prepare for those hot days ( & I cover a driver or 2 routes that had heat exhaustion almost every ioyear) a few bucks spent on fluids is much better than the trip to the ER and getting an IV to re-hydrate & cool down.
I should clarify, the fedex express cars out here have ac, and drive with their doors shut tight. As for fedex ground, I believe they just have dash fans and finish work around 430-5 pm.

I doubt seriously any driver has ever died from lack of air conditioning.

Just a little medical fact ...should ones body temperature reach 108 degrees you are at serious risk of cardiac arrest. Not saying it HAS happened YET,but with the combination of 10-11 hr days,100 degree temps outside and 120 plus degreee temps in the rear of a package car Id say odds are its POSSIBLE and if it hasnt happened,it will. If it saved ONE life,it would have been money well invested.But no,UPS would rather sponsor a friend*%! racecar.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Oh yea the heat is bad this time of year, espeically down here, but the real killer is the humidity. Heat really isnt a problem to deal with, just stay hydrated. On the other hand, humidity will take any chance to cool down away. The body cools down by feeling wind on the skin when sweat is present. The more moisture in the air denies the body to cool itself down no matter how much wind is present. Thus the bodies responce to this is to sweat and sweat more and more, with no effect. Thats health 101.

I always hear those stories this time of year from the snow birds up north. It gets hot a few weeks out of the year, like 90-100, and people start dying. I feel bad, because A/C isnt really needed up there for that long, hence it would a waste. Its a tragic thing to hear about on the news, such as this. I've read most of this thread and I'm amazed with the debate.

I suggested to the soups about 4 months ago they should quarry to get some porters and clean the fans around the building. First, UPS pays for energy year round, estimated total, years end. The fans are extremely filthy. One person got the bright idea to take a broom from a package car and start hitting a fan. The dust and grime that came off and blown down filled the entire line of a dust clound. About 300 feet of smog. I ran off into a car for a bit to let it pass, trust me, it was a site. Plus, that cant be good for anyone, subjected to that day in and out.

The fans blow, your using energy. The dust build up could cut the efficiency ( of the fans ) way over 50%. Therefore, UPS is just wasting energy, like everything else, wasting.

Secondly and last, they have people, porters, that should be able to supply this task. And they should do it atleast once every six months.

Someone once told me that a soup stated to him that the fans really arnt for you, they're for the cars.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Just a little medical fact ...should ones body temperature reach 108 degrees you are at serious risk of cardiac arrest. Not saying it HAS happened YET,but with the combination of 10-11 hr days,100 degree temps outside and 120 plus degreee temps in the rear of a package car Id say odds are its POSSIBLE and if it hasnt happened,it will. If it saved ONE life,it would have been money well invested.But no,UPS would rather sponsor a friend*%! racecar.

If one's internal body temperature reaches 108 degrees friend they are either not working as instructed or are way too sick to be at work.

If one's internal body temperature reaches 108 degrees friend they are either not working as instructed or are way too sick to be at work.

OH! So sorry. I didnt realize thats how it works. Next time Im instructed not to let my body temperature rise I will be sure to listen.Thanks for the help!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
This is why when it is that hot, as well as staying hydrated you need to cool yourself with ice water, run through a sprinkler, dump ice water on your head, you need to cool your blood. It is not about IMO being sick.
OOPS I think hubrat was being sarcastic.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Outta all the folks saying suck it up, plus I worked in 101 degree heat today, he's reacting to me. Get a grip dude.

GoForBroke

PS - Peak comes every December, every year. I also believe its going to come every December for the rest of our lives.

Still catches management by surprise every year. They're not used to the sudden change in volume, our bodies aren't used to the sudden increase in temperature. Besides, what is work without a 'lil bi**hing here and there?

I understand we work outside and such and are subject to the elements, but our package cars are completely capable of being A/Ced as just about every vehicle produced today is. I honestly believe that within the next decade, they all will be. Reason is, the generation coming in now expects AC. They have grown up with it, it is everywhere. My parents never had AC in the house, roll the windows down in the car, etc. Now for me, I could not even imagine not having AC in the house....it just wouldn't be an option. Just like power steering, Auto's, etc....as they become more and more commonplace, they will be expected.

But having A/C in the package cars would be a waste! Our center averages 160 stops per car, when you're in and out that much what's the point. The cab will NEVER stay cool and that won't do anything for the back where the real oven is. What would really help would be some pop up vents in the cargo area. Something to get the air moving. If there was one in the front bringing air in, and one in the back letting it out, it would make a dramatic difference!

HULKAMANIA

I suffered heat exhaustion this year. I never thought it was a big deal until it happened to me. Some people can say its all about hydration while that may be true mine happened after a pick up. I had over 140 stops this day and over 30 pick ups. This one particular pick up had mass quantity of over 70's and the majority of their product weighs in at 30 lbs. I loaded over 150 this day truck was full top top to bottom front to back. Over the course of the day I had drank over 2 gallons of water, but after this pick up I felt horrible. I called the on car sup and was TOLD TO KEEP GOING!!! As long as I can?!?!?!?!? Then what was the purpose of calling???? So all the people that say that UPS backs up what the preach about safety I really dont know where they are coming from on that. He finally called me 30 minutes later asking where I was, at this point I was cramping to the point of not being able to walk, clutch the truck or anything for that matter. The second he showed up I threw up 8 times right infront of him. Was taking me to the ER ever mentioned? No it wasnt! Heat has NEVER bothered me before, when it happens it happens faster than you might think. I read earlier someone saying that a guy said he was delusional, that sympton is very true, it even affects your vision. Needless to say that was the worst night and most painful night of my life. All I can say is its pretty sad when supervisors should be trained on the dangers of heat exhaustion as much or more than we are. The moment they are NEEDED to do something like TAKE SOMEONE to the ER they act as if they have no knowledge of how bad a situation is, and to me thats unacceptable. Pretty sad the numbers at the end of the day are more important than someones health, and well being. Just my 2 cents.