UPS Employees are working unsafe why doesn't the Union correct this problem?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
And the Wisdom and Blessing you perhaps show in honoring the Creator, He gives you sir.
I see your "And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith". Matthew 21:22 at the bottom of your post.
You seem not ashamed of the Gospel.
The Most High Blesses those that seek and look to Him.
Rejoice in HIS benefits.

How does that work for an atheist?

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
Integrity,

What do you do at UPS. I'd like to know. I don't care where.....just what and how long.

The reason people are saying you are answering questions you know the answer to (rhetorical) is because you seem so far removed from the obvious truths.

Love,

​LTC

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Why doesn't the leadership of the IBT and the local unions put a stop to the unsafe work practices perpetuated by their own membership?

I don't see where anyone.... could glean anything else, that somehow the Union is culpable for employee's work practices. From your perspective.

Are you telling me that the Union is powerless to stop unsafe work practices in UPS?

If a member files a grievance, alleging safety concerns.... it is the Union's legal obligation to vigorously defend that grievance.

This discussion is more focused on the unions response to unsafe work practices.

If you are not suggesting that the Union should be discovering safety concerns, {And then, informing the company about it's own members}

I fail to see what your point is.

-Bug-

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Integrity You ask a question you know the answer to. Work safe have you ever see some of these trucks. The way they are loaded. Front to back and floor to ceiling, over weights mixed in. You bring it to supervisors attention. They say sorry we have no where to put it. I respect the questions you ask but come on. I am not one to complain, I do it I keep quiet. it just takes longer....

Yes on these industrial type routes we know all these guys r crawling under shelves and such to get packages. If you "worked safe" and by the book.these drivers could take out 100 packages to get to one. Do that everyday and run 4 hours over consistently and they will make sure your looking for a new job soon.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
To all Teamsters,

For Discussion:

UPS employees chronically work unsafe.

You know, we all know it.

Why do they chronically violate the UPS safety training they are given?

Most even sign the training saying they have been properly trained, yet they violate this training anyway.

Why?

In Article 18 of the Master Contract the IBT leaders state that the safety of the employees and the general public is of the utmost importance.

Why doesn't the leadership of the IBT and the local unions put a stop to the unsafe work practices perpetuated by their own membership?

There must be a reason.

Please share if you will.

Sincerely,
I

Ok here's a perfect example for your. Our BA was in town last week and we had a driver who have almost 400 pieces on a p700. Stuff crammed everywhere not what I would say is a safe load.

The driver grabbed the BA and said we need to talk to the center manager. the BA asked what it was about. The driver took him to the load and explained it happens all the time. The BA laughed and was like what do you want me to do. Go out do your best and if u have a long day file 9.5.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
If a member files a grievance, alleging safety concerns.... it is the Union's legal obligation to vigorously defend that grievance.

Ok here's a perfect example for your. Our BA was in town last week and we had a driver who have almost 400 pieces on a p700. Stuff crammed everywhere not what I would say is a safe load.

The driver grabbed the BA and said we need to talk to the center manager. the BA asked what it was about. The driver took him to the load and explained it happens all the time. The BA laughed and was like what do you want me to do. Go out do your best and if u have a long day file 9.5.

Some things.... are self revealing.

-Bug-

UnconTROLLed

perfection
"UPS employees are working unsafe why doesn't the union correct this problem?"

Mgmt and union brass are currently working on correcting the problem, they're heading up the fairway on the 16th right now discussing it.

Integrity

Binge Poster
This is true,Integrity means well but his truths fall on deaf ears.
DS,

These are not Integrity's truths.

The are the contractual truths of the IBT.

See page 47 of the Master Contract if you don't believe me.

I can't control or help whoever doesn't honor or follow the collective bargaining agreement.

That doesn't change the contract.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Integrity,

What do you do at UPS. I'd like to know. I don't care where.....just what and how long.

The reason people are saying you are answering questions you know the answer to (rhetorical) is because you seem so far removed from the obvious truths.

Love,

​LTC
LongTimeComing,

I choose not to answer those types of questions. I focus on principles not personalities while engaging in discussion on this site.

Just because you and many who come to this site don't know or care to realize the written truths of the Master Contract that doesn't change the truths that you hide from.

Obivious truths they are.

Sincerely,
I

packageguy

littleboybrown,

What specific safety violation is being addressed when this issue is being addressed to management?

Have you ever had any minor injuries that you have not reported?

Sincerely,
I

no minor injuries, if i was to get hurt i would report it, if and when my truck is blown out, I start with the bulk in middle of truck, over weights stacked in middle of truck,, we have had drivers Spain ankle for stepping on packages because its so blown out, drivers hurt there shoulder with copy paper on top shelf.

I would say the biggest problem is copy paper on top shelf, and the little over weights that fit on the shelf.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I don't see where anyone.... could glean anything else, that somehow the Union is culpable for employee's work practices. From your perspective.

Are you telling me that the Union should not confront their members and ask them why they are working unsafely?

I cannot argue this point.

If you are not suggesting that the Union should be discovering safety concerns, {And then, informing the company about it's own members}

I fail to see what your point is.

The Union should know and challenge any rank and file member who is not following safety training immediately and firmly.

They should tell the member that they expect safety training to be following, they should also instruct the member to refuse to work in an manner contrary to UPS safety training.

They should also enlighten the member that there is very little they can do to defend clear safety training violation discipline.

-Bug-

Sincerely,
I

-Bug-[/QUOTE]

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
LongTimeComing,

I choose not to answer those types of questions. I focus on principles not personalities while engaging in discussion on this site.

Just because you and many who come to this site don't know or care to realize the written truths of the Master Contract that doesn't change the truths that you hide from.

Obivious truths they are.

Sincerely,
I

I'm not hiding from any truths. When have I failed to realize these truths? It's quite the contrary. Many people realize and acknowledge what is written in the contracts, yet the REALITY of the particular situation, whatever it may be, tends to be much different.

The reason I was curious about your UPS history was to shine some insight on the perspectives and reasons you ask the questions that you do. Questions that, at times, seem like you don't have a clue as to what happens day to day in these buildings. I am also aware that you ask certain questions just for the sake of discussion or to get a response. This can be perceived as trolling when these questions have highly debatable answers or no clear answer (based in reality) at all. I am not here to flounder in the frame of someone else's entertainment. Simply allowing some of us to connect perspective with reason regarding your questions may open people up a little more.

Corporate management? High level administration? Long time, upper level teamster? Have you worked at the bottom, ever? Everyone else is fairly candid about what they have done...on a general basis. As long as you aren't plastering your emp ID and exact name and building, you aren't divulging too much....