UPS Employees get to keep Rewards points???

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Can you still take advantage of reward programs when you pay with a corporate credit card?

And it is important that the UPS Corporate Credit Card is a linking function only.

The credit card is actually in the employee's name and the employee is responsible for all risks, billing associated with the use and ownership of the card.

I tried to charge one item a month not related to UPS and for about a year I got a call from the credit card group that I cannot do this. I gave them the same spiel above and they eventually quit calling me.

When they came out with the automated expense account system, it had a check box that allowed the employee to designate charges as personal. I think I was not the only person pushing back on this control of an employee's personal credit card.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
If the company credit card is used for company business shouldn't the company receive any rewards?
Maybe but I don't know anyone that had a UPS Corporate Credit card.
Everyone I knew had a personal credit card that had UPS printed on it and all activities on that credit card were linked to UPS to facilitate an automated UPS Expense Account systems.
Furthermore, the rewards systems from various service providers I am aware of was between the individual and the service provider and the payment method was not factored in the rewards relationship.

upschuck

If the company credit card is used for company business shouldn't the company receive any rewards?
But companies let employee keep the rewards as a 'perk'. I know several people, from other companies, that use their frequent flier miles to fly on vacations all the time. Don't know if employee has to pay taxes on the perks, but they should.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
But companies let employee keep the rewards as a 'perk'. I know several people, from other companies, that use their frequent flier miles to fly on vacations all the time. Don't know if employee has to pay taxes on the perks, but they should.
Do you pay taxes on rebates you receive?
Same thing.

upschuck

Do you pay taxes on rebates you receive?
Same thing.
No, but I do pay taxes when UPS puts money on my sales lead card. Well not actually me, but UPS does, and it is included as monies earned. Does somebody pay income taxes on the rewards(free rooms/flights) that are received, and added to your W-2? I doubt it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
No, but I do pay taxes when UPS puts money on my sales lead card. Well not actually me, but UPS does, and it is included as monies earned. Does somebody pay income taxes on the rewards(free rooms/flights) that are received, and added to your W-2? I doubt it.
No because these rewards are rebates just like people who use the Discover card.

If UPS offered travel rewards to their employees, I can ensure you, it would be on those employees W-2.

For some reason, you and Upstate are obsessing on some Non_UPS related benefit that traveling UPS employees receive from service providers that have nothing to do with UPS.

Do you think UPS should pay taxes on the discount enjoyed by UPSers using UPS discounts with goods and service suppliers like GM, FTD, etc. and then put that on your W-2?

upschuck

No because these rewards are rebates just like people who use the Discover card.
If UPS offered travel rewards to their employees, I can ensure you, it would be on those employees W-2.

For some reason, you and Upstate are obsessing on some benefit that traveling UPS employees receive from service providers that have nothing to do with UPS.

Do you think UPS should pay taxes on the discount enjoyed by UPSers using UPS discounts with goods and service suppliers like GM, FTD, etc.?
UPS paid for the ticket/room, UPS should get the reward. What is hard to comprehend about that. UPS has never bought me a car, UPS has never used my Discover card, therefore UPS does not get the reward, I do.

I am not obsessing about it, I am just commenting on a thread that I have an opinion about. Just another thing I feel is not right in the world.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
UPS paid for the ticket/room, UPS should get the reward. What is hard to comprehend about that. UPS has never bought me a car, UPS has never used my Discover card, therefore UPS does not get the reward, I do.

I am not obsessing about it, I am just commenting on a thread that I have an opinion about. Just another thing I feel is not right in the world.
OK ... seems a bit silly to me and totally untrackable and unmanageable and hopefully there are much more important things to be concerned about and you actually spend time and effort on those.

Also, UPS normally does not buy the airplane ticket, motel room or rental card for their employees.
In 30 plus years of traveling with UPS, UPS never bought these for me or anyone else I know.

UPS requires their employees to pay for all these things out of their pocket and then request reimbursement via the UPS Employee Expense Reimbursement program. In this way, UPS defers "paying" for employee travel expenses for 30 - 60 days from the date of the actual expense.

upschuck

Also, UPS normally does not buy the airplane ticket, motel room or rental card for their employees.
In 30 plus years of traveling with UPS, UPS never bought these for me or anyone else I know.
Semantics
UPS requires their employees to pay for all these things out of their pocket and then request reimbursement via the UPS Employee Expense Reimbursement program. In this way, UPS defers "paying" for employee travel expenses for 30 - 60 days from the date of the actual expense.
That is not right either. Should be paid for on corporate card, with an online reason for expense.
OK ... seems a bit silly to me and totally untrackable and unmanageable and hopefully there are much more important things to be concerned about and you actually spend time and effort on those.
I agree, but then we wouldn't post here anymore.:clown:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Semantics
Not really.
The employee is responsible for charges on their AMEX card which has UPS on it and UPS reimburses the employee.

That is not right either. Should be paid for on corporate card, with an online reason for expense.
UPS does not issue their employees Corporate Cards.
UPS requires their employees to open a personal account that allows AMEX to transfer line item purchases/charges to UPS.

I agree, but then we wouldn't post here anymore.:clown:
I agree and I have enjoyed our exchange on this topic.
Carry on.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
That is ridiculous, UPS trusts no one.
If there is one over-arching principle or belief that I observed in 40 years at UPS, it is
"Trust no one".
It pervades everything at UPS.

I must admit, I never even noticed it for the last 30 years or so at UPS but if the topic came up it was "Yeah, what's your point?"

rod

Retired 22 years
I washed my personal pickup all the time on points I had received from filling up my UPS truck at a local gas station. They had a punch card and for every hundred gallons purchased you got a free car wash. In fact I washed my pickup free for about 3 years after I retired thanks to UPS.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I washed my personal pickup all the time on points I had received from filling up my UPS truck at a local gas station. They had a punch card and for every hundred gallons purchased you got a free car wash. In fact I washed my pickup free for about 3 years after I retired thanks to UPS.
Are you like Upschuck (and maybe Upstate) who think you should pay income taxes on the value of those carwashes?

Ok I did not mean to cause such a huge discussion. My point is through the hotel companies for the stays they offer you up front parking, or travel x amount of days you stay free. I didn't mean to imply you use any points from a credit card being paid for.

Like I said I'm the wife and talking about my experience. So I'm sorry if I caused a heated discussion.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Ok I did not mean to cause such a huge discussion. My point is through the hotel companies for the stays they offer you up front parking, or travel x amount of days you stay free. I didn't mean to imply you use any points from a credit card being paid for.

Like I said I'm the wife and talking about my experience. So I'm sorry if I caused a heated discussion.
Hey ... heated discussion?
That's what we live for!