UPS employees might be busy writing letters to their U.S. senators on behalf employer

airbusfxr

Re: UPS employees might be busy writing letters to their U.S. senators on behalf empl

The guy posting at the end of the article comments about how hard it is for pilots and mechanics to get a contract from UPS hit the nail on the head. FDX is an airline and UPS is a trucking company. UPS should mind their own business and let FDX operate theirs. I bet no line pilots and no hourly aircraft mechanics will write any letter except to the union on why we have contract after 4 years.

airbusfxr

Re: UPS employees might be busy writing letters to their U.S. senators on behalf empl

The only work group unionized at FDX is the pilots, and they have a contract only second to UPSCO. The mechanics at FDX have a set of work rules and make almost what we do, they do not have free insurance, 401k match, and defined contribution but then FDX does not lay off and try to enforce crazy work rules on them. FDX aircraft mechanics have had card drives for years and evey time it falls short. AMFA would represent the FDX mechanics because the IBT has a history of not treating the airline people as good as ground workers due to the sheer numbers of dues paying members. It is better for them to have 300k paying 60 bucks a month instead of 1k paying 150 bucks. The IBT knows airline workers are small numbers so why try to satisfy a small group when the majority rules. UPS ground workers get a fair contract each time, pilots and mechanics get 4 or 5 years of the UPS "runaround" and when it comes to back pay it is taxed to death. FDX hourly workers would rather be family then just workers.

705red

Browncafe Steward

I got my rear end chewed today by the dm because some of us are not writing these letters on behalf of UPS.

He called my agent and my agent reminded him last year when the union pulled a dozen or so UPS'ers out on an organizing drive at fedex. My agent asked him and the labor manager for metro Chicago if UPS would be interested in paying 4 hours for each of us employees and the local would pay the other 4. The labor manager rejected this offer and said its not UPS's fight.

This same labor manager ripped me when I was talking about the benefits of becoming union to a fedex employee while we were both in the same dock doing pick ups. He told me that I was stealing time and i could not do that on UPS's clock.

Its amazing the tune they are signing now, but over a year ago they were threatening to fire me over it.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

I got my rear end chewed today by the dm because some of us are not writing these letters on behalf of UPS.

He called my agent and my agent reminded him last year when the union pulled a dozen or so UPS'ers out on an organizing drive at fedex. My agent asked him and the labor manager for metro Chicago if UPS would be interested in paying 4 hours for each of us employees and the local would pay the other 4. The labor manager rejected this offer and said its not UPS's fight.

This same labor manager ripped me when I was talking about the benefits of becoming union to a fedex employee while we were both in the same dock doing pick ups. He told me that I was stealing time and i could not do that on UPS's clock.

Its amazing the tune they are signing now, but over a year ago they were threatening to fire me over it.
That's very interesting, red. Are you going to write the letter and encourage others to do the same or will you not? What's your stance and where do you think this will get UPS?

705red

Browncafe Steward

That's very interesting, red. Are you going to write the letter and encourage others to do the same or will you not? What's your stance and where do you think this will get UPS?
Steve from my understanding our local is the only local not taking part with UPS in this effort. Now this does not mean that we are not endorsing this bill, it means that we will not stand side by side with UPS and encourage people one way or the other.

No stewards worth anything in my building have wrote the letter for UPS. Yes some of us have written emails and letters on our own time, before UPS has offered it.

And we will be grieving the time if it is not paid at overtime for full timers and over the part timers guarantee of 3.5 hours. Writing these letters is not part of our regular scheduled day.

I have not told anyone not to write nor have I told anyone to write it. I have just explained that we are not working with UPS on this issue. Its kind of hard to encourage members to band together and unite as one to encourage FedEx to unionize, while we as UPS employees see our contract violated daily, and grievances that the company is dead wrong on deadlocked and drawn out through the arbitration process. IMO

705red

Browncafe Steward

What's your stance and where do you think this will get UPS?
I am all for an employee to have the say to either join or not to join a union. Could the Teamsters use FedEx employees for members absolutely! In order for us current members to receive pension payments long after we are retired we need more current members paying into the pension.

Now at the same time everyone sees what is going on with YRC and if YRC goes belly up, it will be very hard to encourage anyone to join a union. People will be scared and would rather take the security of knowing that they are working a lower wage job then not knowing if joining a union would cause them to lose their job.

The UAW has been dismantled basically because they were to greedy, plus the cars they made were not as dependable as some imports.
Think about this for a minute, if FedEx employees unionize and even if they go up about $2 or $3 dollars to about $25, $26 an hour at the end of this contract we will be at $32 and change an hour. How much more can we go up if our unionized rival is making less than we are?

A full time FedEx driver makes similar hourly to what our part time air drivers make. Crap our part time air drivers make more then any YRC feeder driver.

If they do join a union it would help to level the playing field, but at whose expense? UPS? The employees of UPS? Or the employees of FedEx? I guess only time will tell.

But rest assured one way or another we will be in for a fight in our next contract. This is my opinion and my opinion only!

Omega man

Think about how badly this company has treated us over these last months... and now they want us to write a letter on their behalf? We should all punish UPS upper management and refuse. How dare UPS treat their people in this manner?

kingOFchester

Think about how badly this company has treated us over these last months... and now they want us to write a letter on their behalf? We should all punish UPS upper management and refuse. How dare UPS treat their people in this manner?

Cutting off the nose to spite the face :peaceful:

outamyway

If you believe the decision will have anything to do with letter writing or phone calls, then you haven't been paying much attention to what's been going on in congress the last 7 months.

over9five

Staff member

If you believe the decision will have anything to do with letter writing or phone calls, then you haven't been paying much attention to what's been going on in congress the last 7 months.

Next your gonna tell me it all hinges on how many [-]bribes[/-] donations the Senators get....

pretzel_man

Actually, I have paid attendtion to what's been going on as well as spoken with multiple UPS Public Relations people from Washington.

Seems to me like they have the right plan.

P-Man

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

Steve from my understanding our local is the only local not taking part with UPS in this effort. Now this does not mean that we are not endorsing this bill, it means that we will not stand side by side with UPS and encourage people one way or the other.

No stewards worth anything in my building have wrote the letter for UPS. Yes some of us have written emails and letters on our own time, before UPS has offered it.

And we will be grieving the time if it is not paid at overtime for full timers and over the part timers guarantee of 3.5 hours. Writing these letters is not part of our regular scheduled day.

I have not told anyone not to write nor have I told anyone to write it. I have just explained that we are not working with UPS on this issue. Its kind of hard to encourage members to band together and unite as one to encourage FedEx to unionize, while we as UPS employees see our contract violated daily, and grievances that the company is dead wrong on deadlocked and drawn out through the arbitration process. IMO

I am all for an employee to have the say to either join or not to join a union. Could the Teamsters use FedEx employees for members absolutely! In order for us current members to receive pension payments long after we are retired we need more current members paying into the pension.

Now at the same time everyone sees what is going on with YRC and if YRC goes belly up, it will be very hard to encourage anyone to join a union. People will be scared and would rather take the security of knowing that they are working a lower wage job then not knowing if joining a union would cause them to lose their job.

The UAW has been dismantled basically because they were to greedy, plus the cars they made were not as dependable as some imports.
Think about this for a minute, if FedEx employees unionize and even if they go up about $2 or $3 dollars to about $25, $26 an hour at the end of this contract we will be at $32 and change an hour. How much more can we go up if our unionized rival is making less than we are?

A full time FedEx driver makes similar hourly to what our part time air drivers make. Crap our part time air drivers make more then any YRC feeder driver.

If they do join a union it would help to level the playing field, but at whose expense? UPS? The employees of UPS? Or the employees of FedEx? I guess only time will tell.

But rest assured one way or another we will be in for a fight in our next contract. This is my opinion and my opinion only!
As usual, red, well said. Thanks.

City Driver

they told us anybody who dont write the letters will be forced to have a sit down meeting with the center manager

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Count your lucky stars you work for UPS. Have you lost your pension or had your benefits cut lately? I would walk a mile in my bare feet over broken glass to get your wages and benefits package. While I don't agree that they should force anyone to write a letter, in the long run it's in your best interests to do so because UPS stands to gain a lot if the RLA exemption for FedEx goes away.

airbusfxr

We have tried to get the aircraft mechanics to join and they had rather loose pension and 401k than unionize. They pay alot for health care and they cry about their pension deal getting taken away but they would rather take that than fight. When we leave the FDX mechanics on the ramp we just laugh at them for their view on getting xxxxxx.

Pip

Wrote my letters yesterday, nobody forced me to do it. I guess I look at it differently. Maybe 15 minutes wasted for nothing, but if it passes. Most everybody will benefit from it, especially the employees at fedex, regardless if they go union or not. Instead of Fred pocketing all the profits, he might be forced to spread the wealth out a little more to the people that are actually doing the work for Fedex, in the form of better benefits and wages.

FedEX 4 Life

Count your lucky stars you work for UPS. Have you lost your pension or had your benefits cut lately? I would walk a mile in my bare feet over broken glass to get your wages and benefits package. While I don't agree that they should force anyone to write a letter, in the long run it's in your best interests to do so because UPS stands to gain a lot if the RLA exemption for FedEx goes away.
No one lost thier pension and what benefits have been cut?Tell us.

Stop spreading your made up lies.If you would walk a mile in your bare feet over broken glass to get UPS wages and benefits,why havent you quit Fedex and applied over at UPS?Its not like its so hard to get a job there.I am seriously doubting that you even work at Fedex.Sound like a troll to me.

airbusfxr

FDX airline mechanics took a big pension cut last year. The also pay ALOT for health care.