UPS Employment Tour

M

mr_roboto

Mr Roboto believes in sexual equality...that is why I am a clerk. The girl's in our preload want to replace me but I have no interest in pre-load or unload and I won't retire for another 28 years.

I admit they do an adequate job (for girls), certainly better than what I would, that's why they preload and unload and I clerk.

roboto

A

a.

Well...I went on the tour today! Although it was in the morning and cold, I thought it was very exciting. The tour director took us through the unload area and that was interesting. The only thing that worries me is that there is a shoulder level belt that you have to put packages on. I dont know if i could do that. But overall, I hope I get a call for an interview...but in the meantime I think I might apply at FedEx because they're hiring for package handlers too. How is FedEx compared to UPS? Thanks.

T

tieguy

Fedex is the best . In the summer they not only have air conditioning but fans for the air conditioners.

P

proups

Tie: what are you thinking? You did as good a recruiting job with that post as muncher.

T

tieguy

I hired for this company before. I would ask applicants "why are you here" . I hated getting the "because I need a job" answer. I wanted to hear that the applicant knew this was a strack club and that we prided ourselves on being the best. I wanted to hear that the applicant wanted to be one of the best. If not I'll help him find a "job"

D

deliver_man

Hey Tie. Where in the heck can someone go full time in just 3 years here? I've been at ups for just over 13 years and can't even get a combo. When I was hired they said it would take no more than 4 years, now they are saying somewhere around 15 years of parttime might do it. Sure would've liked to have known this 13 years ago.
Come on out to Northern Virginia, The last fulltimer we hired out of pre-load in my center had only been working here 3 months. We have been hiring off the street all year, basically every part-timer in the building who wanted to go fulltime already has, unless they have a bad driving record or something like that. Daily volume in our building has more than doubled in the last 10 years.

T

tieguy

Sounds like Dullas? Though I hear all 3 northern Va buildings are bursting at the seams.

F

fourty03

As far as the age thing.... it isnt nothing ... I have two employess that load with no problem, they are better than some of their 20 year younger co workers... One of them is a female. I have three female employees and they are better than the guys. Sometimes I help them with the over 70lbs .... but that isnt nothing. As far as dulles.... whoa!! I work at BalMd - u guys have a :censored2: load of work coming.... and the loads should look like brick walls , packed so tightly and nice. They dont even need load retainers.

D

dannyboy

Send some of that volume here, we can use it. We are still running routes like we run them in march, no splits.

Our newest drivers have been in delivery for 2 1/2 years, even with several retirements.

Funny how in the same state there can be such differences.

d