UPS Falls as Peak Season Costs Crimp Annual Profit, 2015 Outlook

Discussion in 'The Latest UPS Headlines' started by cheryl, Jan 23, 2015.

1. cheryl

cheryl I started this. Staff Member

UPS Falls as Peak Season Costs Crimp Annual Profit, 2015 Outlook - Bloomberg

United Parcel Service Inc. (UPS) fell the most in more than six years after it said 2014 earnings were below prior forecasts as an overexpanded program to handle a deluge of holiday shipments left its network underutilized on some other days.

“UPS invested heavily to ensure we would provide excellent service during peak when deliveries more than double,” said David Abney, UPS chief executive officer. “Though customers enjoyed high quality service, it came at a cost to UPS. Going forward, we will reduce operating costs and implement new pricing strategies during peak season.”
  2. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

So they are pre-reporting before they report........when will they learn. Can we expect a huge fall when they actually report? Probably.
  3. Jkloc420

Jkloc420 Active Member

Ups screwed up so bad in 2013 that customers went away from them in 2014. It is going to take a few years to get that volume back. Management won't get that though.
  4. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Pre report triggers an early sell off then people buy on the bounce. I think that is what UPS tried to do anyway. If there was a bad report with no warning it would tank worse.
  5. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Ups will make cuts this peak in order to save on profits which will make this peak a disaster. Next peak they will invest again and go round and round like a dog chasing his tail.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
    Lasted edited by : Jan 23, 2015
  6. bbsam

bbsam Moderator Staff Member

I think UPS will go back to 2013 standards and let the public adjust to a "new normal".
  7. undies

undies Active Member

Extra overtime and less productive drivers due to Orion cost money! Driving 1-2 fewer miles, priceless.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. rod

rod retired and happy

All I know is that I bet no one is bragging next year that "it's the easiest peak I've had".
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. Jkloc420

Jkloc420 Active Member

It was a pretty easy peak. It is funny because UPS should have been on top of peaks from the begainning. You can't just go all out from one peak and expect outstanding results. You screwed people over in previous peaks, the customer isn't going to keep coming back. Their going to find alternative solutions.
  10. RealPerson

RealPerson Active Member

11. jacket6504

jacket6504 Member

Been with the company for 11 years and have a chance to go full time package car in the next few weeks if I accept the position. But this 4th quarter news has me a little scared jumping in knowing that management will overreact to the headlines! What do you guys think? Will this be one the worst years ever for a package car driver?
  12. silenze

silenze Lunch is the best part of the day

Every year is the worst year ever
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List

CHALLY9TX Active Member

This peak I expect to work no more than 60 hours a week. Just like always.
  14. Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union Thug Eva Mendez Has A Nice (_!_)

But eventually ORION will be in every center in America. ALL IS SAVED!
  15. undies

undies Active Member

Except that they turn it off during peak.
  16. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

Don't forget the change in dot hours.
  17. brown bomber

brown bomber brown bomber

wasn't last year the first peak season that UPS experienced ??