Ups////Fedex 2 questions

redshift1

You've obviously never driven package car. And if you have, you have a cream puff route and are blind to what happens to your fellow drivers. Yes we make 60 to 70k a year and some of us make 100k on our extended routes. Package car is one stress after another with time commits and then, if we don't get done in a timely manner, we get grief from our management to kick it out more. Some of the routes I've done are impossible to get done in a timely manner and then they have the gall to demand that we magically find the time to get sales leads. I get the feeling that I could turn in 10 sales leads in one day and still get in trouble for being over dispatch.

In the case of utility drivers I would agree with you but a competent experienced driver on his own route has the time to make sales calls on a normal day. Of course late air, inclement weather and misloads can diminish the time available.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
1. I don't doubt this, but on the other hand I have heard that UPS won't take a pkg just to have it--they have to have a profit from it (What about the LL Bean acct UPS will be taking over soon?). DHL was a lo-ball carrier, most of the customers they had were not nearly as concerned with service as they were with $$ per pkg.

2. You have to understand where this guy is coming from, his job is SALES. His job performance is measured by SALES--he's not in the operations side of the company. If I turn in 3 sales leads from my rt and they are successful, I 'get' to work 10.5 hours a day instead of 'only' 10 that I work now. You give me and my fellow drivers some help, and bring our dispatches down I will be happy to hand over potential leads.

You nailed it, especially #2. Sales is what it is, and they generally don't know (or care) squat about Ops. That's why the Sales Rep tells the customer picking-up 200+ pkgs at 6pm "won't be a problem"...he or she doesn't get it. They just want to get credit for more sales.

FedEx did pick-up some major accounts from DHL, notably Dell Computer. We are in major cut-back mode, but FedEx is still making money, just not as much.

InTheRed

If I turn in 3 sales leads from my rt and they are successful, I 'get' to work 10.5 hours a day instead of 'only' 10 that I work now. You give me and my fellow drivers some help, and bring our dispatches down I will be happy to hand over potential leads.

If the route grows another route should go in to alleviate the extra volume/stops. When the route dries up a route comes out and areas expand.

29th Christmas

Sorry, it doesn't happen that way. In the decades I've been delivering my center is always "short on drivers" or loaning them out to another ctr clear across the state!