UPS Feeder accident in Orlando 8/27

CFLBrown

No clue what was the cause for the accident. Traveling from Jacksonville, FL to Fort Myers, FL according to the story. All sites seem to have a very short, similar story.

over9five

Staff member
Thats what I was wondering. The tractor didn't look like a sleeper unit, so I hope he had a supervisor on board.

And if it was a sup, the driver will have someone to back up the "mechanical problem" issue.

Tie will probably know more.

Nimnim

The Nim
I wouldn't want to believe it either, but I trust the word of my mechanics. They said something about another tractor not being available, but I'll guess that's just an assumption.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
I am from that area. Ft Myers doesn't drive to JAX. They meet a JAX driver in orlando. Too far apart.

EDIT: I am not in feeders so I do not know if the meet point is still where is used to be, but Fairbanks ave is north of the meet point that I know of therefore it could be ASSUMED that it was the JAX driver.

SECOND EDIT: One of those stories must have updated. It said Craig Roy is the UPS driver and he was alone and from JAX. The second injured person was the driver of the car he side swiped. Both are fine. He was running doubles and one trailer was a total loss.

Also, what happens now? The Ft Myers Driver only has enough hours to make it halfway (orlando) and back. Does he go on to Jax, shack up in a hotel for ten hours and drive his tractor back on Sunday while raking in the overtime?

Last edited:
Driver was going from Jax to Barnum city (hwy27 and I-4) to a meet point where a Ft. Myers driver was to take it the rest of the way. The tractor was having problems and they stopped in Daytona. Daytona is a small bld with no xtra tractors so from what I understand they took the yard tractor (Short nose international with prob. well over 1,000,000 miles) Driver had an on road Sup. with him and from what I understand the axle broke and that caused him to lose control. Driver was ok and so was driver of other vehicle but (again) from what I heard the Sup. had a broken nose.

Nimnim

The Nim
Driver was going from Jax to Barnum city (hwy27 and I-4) to a meet point where a Ft. Myers driver was to take it the rest of the way. The tractor was having problems and they stopped in Daytona. Daytona is a small bld with no xtra tractors so from what I understand they took the yard tractor (Short nose international with prob. well over 1,000,000 miles) Driver had an on road Sup. with him and from what I understand the axle broke and that caused him to lose control. Driver was ok and so was driver of other vehicle but (again) from what I heard the Sup. had a broken nose.

Heh, you pretty much said everything that was in my post that got moderated as I gave enough info to identify myself. So my previous comment that's still present makes a little more sense if you read this one first and know that someone else posted they hoped no one would be making the decision to take a yard tractor out.

pkgdriver

This is the info I got also. center manager said the sups facial injuries were from a radio that was strapped in the cab

Place your bets on whether they did a full pretrip or did a "cmon we got hot trailers (no pun intended)" quickie. Either way they got off lucky.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Place your bets on whether they did a full pretrip or did a "cmon we got hot trailers (no pun intended)" quickie. Either way they got off lucky.

MY bet is on the hot load and the sup was up the drivers ass, pushing. If this is the case then he deserved the broken nose.

over9five

Staff member
Nope, can't blame the sup. Even with a full pre-trip, I don't think you could have prevented an axle breaking later on.

Crap happens, let's just be thankful everyone's ok.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Nope, can't blame the sup. Even with a full pre-trip, I don't think you could have prevented an axle breaking later on.

Crap happens, let's just be thankful everyone's ok.

If there was evidence of a problem that would have or should have been caught on a pre-trip .........................

It IS good that there was no serious injuries.

over9five

Staff member
If there was evidence of a problem that would have or should have been caught on a pre-trip .........................

Definitely.

But I don't think there are many UPS Feeder drivers who will let some sup push them into skipping/shorting a pre-trip, ESPECIALLY on some unknown yard dog tractor. I think it probably got a very thorough pre-trip. I think you would have caught a broken axle, but not one that was going to break later.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Definitely.

But I don't think there are many UPS Feeder drivers who will let some sup push them into skipping/shorting a pre-trip, ESPECIALLY on some unknown yard dog tractor. I think it probably got a very thorough pre-trip. I think you would have caught a broken axle, but not one that was going to break later.
I would absolutely agree with you if we knew for sure this was an experienced and seasoned feeder driver. Do we know that?

Definitely.

I assume you are being sarcastic because we got a whole batch of drivers that are former package car jackrabbits that are now feeder jackrabbits and will hop into any shizbox that starts without so much as a look at a pretrip. As far as bad axles, try and find any minor cracks in equipment covered in years of dirt and grease. Years back we had a batch of new Fords,now made by Sterling, that had bad axles from the factory. The whole group of them had to be tagged.

My money is on the "hot loads , gotta go" bet. Happens all the time here. Why would it be any different anywhere else.