UPS Feeder Drivers - CDL

beentheredonethat

Greetings: I am a former Independent Contract owner operator commercial driver for Fed Ex Custom Critical. I've always heard how well UPS Commercial Tractor Trailer drivers are compensated and taken care of while on the road. I currently have a Class A CDL from the state of Texas with HazMat, Tanker, Double/Triples and Passenger endorsement. I currently reside in the Houston Texas area and I am looking to start a commercial driving career with UPS. Does UPS hire qualified CDL drivers who have not been previously employed by UPS? Is there a contact person at a UPS Houston Hub that I can contact to apply for a CDL driving position. Are there CDL Commercial driving employment opportunities that are open but not on the website. I've looked on UPS' official website and I've never seen an opening in the Houston area, however I always see CDL commercial drivers in the Houston area driving tractor trailers. Does anyone have any advise

Can it happen? Yes...
Will it happen? Highly unlikely. As you've seen from most of the other posters, feeders is a coveted, higher paying job that high seniority drivers pursue. There will be hires of temps during peak time period. There's always a possibility some could stay on.. But again... highly unlikely (At least up where I'm from (New England)..

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Do yourself, him and the rest of us feeder drivers a favor: tell him to go try to be a package car driver.

Kevin211

Rianna,
Let me give you first hand how feeders works, I've been with ups for 4 years (hired off the street fulltime) I work all night shift 9pm till 5,6,7,,8,9 am depends on my night. We are a small hub, so i have a summer vacation along with a winter vacation.
I DO not make 90-100k but i do know guys that do and they work 60hrs every week. Where I'm from we can not transferr but as stated before can quite and get rehired.

Lesley Demiter

My husband works for UPS and has for 23 years. We live in So CAL He started out as a package driver and made about 70,000 yearly. Now that he is a feeder driver (big rig) no lifting involved he earns with overtime about 95,000 year. Not all feeder drivers drive cross country, that is their sleeper team. They do that to save money on next day air. They just meet up with other sleeper teams from the east coast and exchange trailers. That job actually pays by the mile. I felt UPS didn't compensate the drivers enough for that job. My husband just stays local now. It is a great company to work for. We have all our medical,prescriptions,vac pay, sick pay, 401k and the best will be his pension when he retires in 4 years. Pay is based on the state you live in and the price of living. The hourly wage as of 7/09 with a 50 cent raise coming in August is $30.16