UPS Feeder qualifications

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
In other words, you don't need 1 year of safe UPS driving even in central.
You do if you're full time. If no FT'ers bid, then as a PT'er, you just need to be 1 year without an accident on your driving record.

So in a sense, as a blanket statement, you are correct. In a way. We grieved it and lost.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You do if you're full time. If no FT'ers bid, then as a PT'er, you just need to be 1 year without an accident on your driving record.

So in a sense, as a blanket statement, you are correct. In a way. We grieved it and lost.
My point is that the OP is a clerk and numerous people in this thread have he can't bid feeder unless he has 1 year safe driving which is just not the case. UPS can't require 1 year of safe driving from employees who don't drive as part of their job, assuming that the bid is open to employees in that job classification.

oldngray

nowhere special
UPS had feeder school to get potential drivers their CDL's. They just need that CDL with no experience except the clean driving record when they sign a bid for a feeder opening.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
To be eligible you must be a FT Combo/ FT package car driver + Seniority.
BTW, Signing your name on the bid list won't hurt anything...Your seniority is a PLUS so Let see what is going on.
Once again, giving wrong information. YOU DON'T WORK HERE... WHY ARE YOU STILL TRYING TO GIVE INFORMATION YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT?

Once again, giving wrong information. YOU DON'T WORK HERE... WHY ARE YOU STILL TRYING TO GIVE INFORMATION YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT?
Chill!

scooby%20snacks.jpg

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Once we got our CDL before we started feeder class, we were told by instructors that they preferred drivers who didn't have any experience driving a big rig. They even downplayed experience in package cars, except for safe driving accrued. They wanted to teach you to drive tractors "The UPS way," before you acquired too many bad driving habits. So someone who pushes a desk might be just as good on the road as anybody else. We had a mechanic who was supposed to sign a bid sheet. Don't know if he ever did, cause I left. He was required to have a CDL to work on the tractors, tho.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
My point is that the OP is a clerk and numerous people in this thread have he can't bid feeder unless he has 1 year safe driving which is just not the case. UPS can't require 1 year of safe driving from employees who don't drive as part of their job, assuming that the bid is open to employees in that job classification.
In the Central they can. And they won a grievance at the state panel over this.

There was a clerk in a center in my district that wanted to go into feeders. UPS said he could not. He grieved it.

I was at the panel the day they heard it. He lost. The panels decision was no contractual violation.

Per the Central Region Supplement, said driver did not have 1 year UPS safe driving. Inelegible to bid feeder school.

Pickles

I'm in Central. Had a combo job and had never drove for UPS before and am in Feeders now. Just needed 1 year accident/ticket free on my driving record.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I'm in Central. Had a combo job and had never drove for UPS before and am in Feeders now. Just needed 1 year accident/ticket free on my driving record.
I would assume you got in in the past year. UPS needed so many feeder drivers, that in the Central, the union and company agreed to open it up to combo and part time, since they couldn't get enough package drivers interested.

They were going to take them all from the street, but we told them we would grieve the 6 for 1. So the deal was made.

The qualification was 1 year without an accident, same as with outside hires.

From my understanding, this was a 1 time only deal with no precedent set.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I would assume you got in in the past year. UPS needed so many feeder drivers, that in the Central, the union and company agreed to open it up to combo and part time, since they couldn't get enough package drivers interested.

They were going to take them all from the street, but we told them we would grieve the 6 for 1. So the deal was made.

The qualification was 1 year without an accident, same as with outside hires.

From my understanding, this was a 1 time only deal with no precedent set.
I'm pretty sure it's in your supplement that before they hire from outside they have to consider other employees as long as they meet the same criteria as those hired from outside.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I'm pretty sure it's in your supplement that before they hire from outside they have to consider other employees as long as they meet the same criteria as those hired from outside.
No it is not. Up until last year, in the Central, a combo, clerk, porter has never had the chance to go into feeders. If no package driver, or FT air driver, wanted to go to feeders, off the street they came.

You needed 1 year UPS safe driving. If you had a job where you did not drive, did not participate in the safe driving program, you were ineligible for feeder school.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
No it is not. Up until last year, in the Central, a combo, clerk, porter has never had the chance to go into feeders. If no package driver, or FT air driver, wanted to go to feeders, off the street they came.

You needed 1 year UPS safe driving. If you had a job where you did not drive, did not participate in the safe driving program, you were ineligible for feeder school.
Article 3 Section 14 - Tractor Trailer School:
Before hiring from the outside, the Employer will consider other
employees to fill tractor-trailer openings if they meet the same criteria
as those employees hired from the outside.