UPS fined by OSHA in midwest for egress

bluehdmc

( I'm not insulting you at all )

I'm pretty sure if there was a fire in a building with little to no egress, we would find some extremely motivated employees that day, lol!

I didn't take it as an insult. Usually when a bunch of people die in a fire (in clubs, etc) it's because they end up trampling each other at the exits, which it what I see as a possibilty if the ever was an emergency in a building.

C

chuchu

5/2005: OSHA inspected the Sharonville, Ohio Hub. Inspection #308788140.

6/6/2005: OSHA issued Citation and Notification of Penalty

8/14/2007:Administrative Law Judge Ken S. Welsch issues Decision and Order finding UPS guilty of not maintaining unobstructed 28-inch wide exit paths.

10/3/2007: Occupational Safety And Health Review Commission found UPS guilty:
Secretary of Labor v. United Parcel Service, Inc.
OSHRC Docket No. 05-1115
- - - -

1/9/2009 proposed nationwide Corporate Settlement Agreement (CSA) between OSHA and UPS posted in Sharonville, Ohio Hub includes:

Training of all employees by 3/31/2009.

Applies to all package facilities nationwide.

UPS must prove violations have been abated in Sharonville.

UPS pays $4,400 fine.

UPS agrees 28-inch wide exit path applies to entire path, from work area to outdoors, not just by the exit door. Path must be kept clear at almost all times.

Sort Aisle C-slides, occasional packages, and irregulars (bulk) train may obstruct work areas in limited circumstances.

All employees will be required to obey a new set of work rules and undergo annual training in keeping exit paths unobstructed. [Basically UPS signed a CSA to solve its problems with OSHA by obligating us to assume the responsibility of keeping exit paths clear. Just like they solved a previous OSHA problem by obligating us to know all those Depth of Knowledge safety questions. If you have been threatened with discipline if you didn't know your D of K answers, this may be deja vu all over again!]

UPS doesn't admit guilt. [Naturally. They're just spending millions of dollars fighting this three-plus year battle and agreeing to major training requirements and work rule changes nationwide for the heck of it.]

OSHA needs no warrants or subpoenas to access UPS facilities or obtain UPS documents to verify UPS is complying with this CSA.
- - - -

I believe the Case is still going on! I have the Egress Case Decision (32-pages, 1,232kb), the proposed Egress CSA (10-pages, 680kb) and a few other documents, but each exceed BrownCafe's file attachment size requirements. Unfortunately, they are scanned files so they are "pictures" of the pages, rather than text files. I searched for "OSHRC Docket No. 05-115" but only found a Friend of the Court brief by the Chamber of Commerce. Any ideas for getting these files posted online so everyone can download 'em?

The Decision and proposed CSA are interesting reading and show how UPS fights and delays OSHA's safety efforts up until UPS looses the battle. Then it embraces the safety proceedures and enforces them on us! If you didn't know about all their anti-safety lobbying and court suits over the years, you'd think they were a very pro-safety company. Every Safety Committee member should get a hold of these (and similar) documents, as well as the safety grievances decided by the National Safety & Health Committee. It will open your eyes.
Are any of you getting training????

Last edited by a moderator:
C

chuchu

UPS Preloader

5/2005: OSHA inspected the Sharonville, Ohio Hub. Inspection #308788140.

6/6/2005: OSHA issued Citation and Notification of Penalty

8/14/2007:Administrative Law Judge Ken S. Welsch issues Decision and Order finding UPS guilty of not maintaining unobstructed 28-inch wide exit paths.

10/3/2007: Occupational Safety And Health Review Commission found UPS guilty:
Secretary of Labor v. United Parcel Service, Inc.
OSHRC Docket No. 05-1115
- - - -

1/9/2009 proposed nationwide Corporate Settlement Agreement (CSA) between OSHA and UPS posted in Sharonville, Ohio Hub includes:

Training of all employees by 3/31/2009.

Applies to all package facilities nationwide.

UPS must prove violations have been abated in Sharonville.

UPS pays $4,400 fine.

UPS agrees 28-inch wide exit path applies to entire path, from work area to outdoors, not just by the exit door. Path must be kept clear at almost all times.

Sort Aisle C-slides, occasional packages, and irregulars (bulk) train may obstruct work areas in limited circumstances.

All employees will be required to obey a new set of work rules and undergo annual training in keeping exit paths unobstructed. [Basically UPS signed a CSA to solve its problems with OSHA by obligating us to assume the responsibility of keeping exit paths clear. Just like they solved a previous OSHA problem by obligating us to know all those Depth of Knowledge safety questions. If you have been threatened with discipline if you didn't know your D of K answers, this may be deja vu all over again!]

UPS doesn't admit guilt. [Naturally. They're just spending millions of dollars fighting this three-plus year battle and agreeing to major training requirements and work rule changes nationwide for the heck of it.]

OSHA needs no warrants or subpoenas to access UPS facilities or obtain UPS documents to verify UPS is complying with this CSA.
- - - -

I believe the Case is still going on! I have the Egress Case Decision (32-pages, 1,232kb), the proposed Egress CSA (10-pages, 680kb) and a few other documents, but each exceed BrownCafe's file attachment size requirements. Unfortunately, they are scanned files so they are "pictures" of the pages, rather than text files. I searched for "OSHRC Docket No. 05-115" but only found a Friend of the Court brief by the Chamber of Commerce. Any ideas for getting these files posted online so everyone can download 'em?

The Decision and proposed CSA are interesting reading and show how UPS fights and delays OSHA's safety efforts up until UPS looses the battle. Then it embraces the safety proceedures and enforces them on us! If you didn't know about all their anti-safety lobbying and court suits over the years, you'd think they were a very pro-safety company. Every Safety Committee member should get a hold of these (and similar) documents, as well as the safety grievances decided by the National Safety & Health Committee. It will open your eyes.

If you still have them, could you email me copies to [email protected]? Thanks in advance.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
In our Phoenix building it seems they have severely cut down on the irreg train moving through parts of the building and instead have an area inside where they are transferring the irregs to those carts that can be connected to the train car. Then they push those carts to the trailers on at least two walls, maybe more as I don't get around the building much. What really helps is when they get rid of those ridiculous roller setups and go to the Siemens extendos. That frees up a ton of room in the aisle.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
40 billion dollars can burn in hell compared to the lives lost to people trying to put food on the table. I understand where you are going, but you cant compare the two.

the quantified value of a human life is around 8 million $

can you honestly say you'd pay 40 billion dollars to save the life of any human being on earth? Hitler? Osama?

further, how many workers die per year, or ever for that matter due to insufficient egress?

justsayin.jpg
justsayin.jpg

upsman68

It's kinda funny how the government can fine us for various issues in the operations but can't seen to find leaders of ponzi schemes until it's too late. Trust me, I'm not advocating a lack of egress, but it seems like the some priorities are out of whack. Boxes on the sort aisle don't jeopardize 40 billion dollars worth of investments (fraudulent or not).

M-

Apples and Oranges

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
the quantified value of a human life is around 8 million $

can you honestly say you'd pay 40 billion dollars to save the life of any human being on earth? Hitler? Osama?

further, how many workers die per year, or ever for that matter due to insufficient egress?

View attachment 8148

As of 2007, 3% of workplace fatalities were due to fires and explosions. Thanks to OSHA and their egress standards these numbers remain low. Would you like to go backward and maybe become like China where 14 women were killed recently in a factory fire or Bangladesh where 112 workers were killed in a factory with no fire exits?

Egress problems still exist. You just have to look.

p1.jpg

People are supposed to be able to work in this area cleaning trailers. It's a maze of pallets.

p2.jpg

Between the cardboard, plastic, and pallets, one tenth of our building would go up in flames with one spark.
p1.jpg
p2.jpg

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
As of 2007, 3% of workplace fatalities were due to fires and explosions. Thanks to OSHA and their egress standards these numbers remain low. Would you like to go backward and maybe become like China where 14 women were killed recently in a factory fire or Bangladesh where 112 workers were killed in a factory with no fire exits?

what does any of that have to do with what i specifically directed at local804?

i have no problem with egress standards; i have an issue with his assertion that human life is priceless, which it's not, never has been, and never will be

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
what does any of that have to do with what i specifically directed at local804?

i have no problem with egress standards; i have an issue with his assertion that human life is priceless, which it's not, never has been, and never will be

You asked how many were killed by insufficient egress that's what it has to do with it. Other countries haven't quite caught up to our standards so we're seeing these high body count examples. As to your other assertion, I'm sure you'll feel differently when it's you or someone you love who is staring at death because someone else thinks it's too expensive to prevent it.