UPS Fires 250 Drivers For Protesting Termination

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS Fires 250 Drivers For Protesting Termination - Queens Tribune

United Parcel Service drivers who organized a protest against a former colleague’s termination are now being shown the pink slip as well.

Two hundred and fifty UPS drivers have been fired for temporarily walking out of the job late last month to protest the firing of Jairo R, who worked there for 24 years, and not receiving the hearing that workers are entitled to.

In an emailed statement, UPS said it took an “appropriate and justifiable” action to fire the employees for an illegal and unauthorized work stoppage.

upschuck

Are they still working, or are they at home now? I would think the other thread would have stated that they are not working anymore, since this story was dated March 20,2014. Wishing them well.

Island

Sounded to me like their badges were taken. It'd go easier on the company to slowly replace them all properly but if they are all sabotaging service quality then the company would probably get its revenge by doing it all at once. I'm not saying I agree with the terminations, though.
If their local had a better hold on management then the workers would not need to strike without waiting the necessary "warning the company about the strike" period which is the whole thing the company is firing them over, not doing a notification and then waiting the couple days before actually doing the strike. Walkouts might get corporate to visit but it won't go well for your career...
And I really feel for these guys. I know if my coworkers were getting fired for BS reasons left and right and my BA asked me to walkout, I would. And if my local sold my job back the company as 804's leadership has done to these guys then I would be taking it very, very personally.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Are they still working, or are they at home now? I would think the other thread would have stated that they are not working anymore, since this story was dated March 20,2014. Wishing them well.
Working termination...Even with 12 buildings in local 804, 250 is about 85% of the total drivers in Maspeth. Big brown can't walk all of them out, and still cover routes.

Returntosender

Working termination...Even with 12 buildings in local 804, 250 is about 85% of the total drivers in Maspeth. Big brown can't walk all of them out, and still cover routes.
This why Glennlake is sending UPstate, downstate to help out.

Jeff Bezos assistants if you guys read Browncafe. 250 UPS drivers in NY can become your Amazon fresh drivers when Amazon fresh expands in delivery service.

member6045

This why Glennlake is sending UPstate, downstate to help out.

Jeff Bezos assistants if you guys read Browncafe. 250 UPS drivers in NY can become your Amazon fresh drivers when Amazon fresh expands in delivery service.

Will these rallies save these drivers!!

Remember? When a TDU local steps in poop! What do they do? Blame someone else!

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
This is not the time or place to be divisive. Stop playing the, "I hate TDU and want to post non-stop about it on BC" game.
Your post was inappropriate.

realbrown1

But the contract will. With the new information that is starting to come out on BC in the last 24 hours, it's looking like the BA and drivers are correct in their interpretations of the wording in their contract.

I think UPS is now looking at how to save face. They screwed up big time. If they push for these drivers to be terminated, they will be slapped down either in arbitration or in court.

And they have to answer for failing to follow a signed teamster agreement. Violating the contract will not be tolerated in local 804.

member6045

But the contract will. With the new information that is starting to come out on BC in the last 24 hours, it's looking like the BA and drivers are correct in their interpretations of the wording in their contract.

I think UPS is now looking at how to save face. They screwed up big time. If they push for these drivers to be terminated, they will be slapped down either in arbitration or in court.

And they have to answer for failing to follow a signed teamster agreement. Violating the contract will not be tolerated in local 804.

Many of our members have stated board to the e board that we work until our arbitration! Many have been stormed out the door bye ups as BA walks member off property!!! You tell me why now and not then?? drivers will be on the streets for a year??? Then brought back with no backpay!!! Why now! Seems like you have picked your battles!!! Sounds like Liam could have done this same deal for many other members in maspeth! But a local union activist pays more dues I guess than another member!!

Last edited:

Island

Many of our members have stated board to the e board that we work until our arbitration! Many have been stormed out the door bye ups as BA walks member off property!!! You tell me why now and not then?? drivers will be on the streets for a year??? Then brought back with no backpay!!! Why now! Seems like you have picked your battles!!! Sounds like Liam could have done this same deal for many other members in maspeth! But a local union activist pays more dues I guess than another member!!

I think you need to calm down before you post. What are you talking about when you say union brothers walked out because a BA walked out with someone?

member6045

I think you need to calm down before you post. What are you talking about when you say union brothers walked out because a BA walked out with someone?

When a member is terminated! A business agent walks the driver off the property.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah

If it comes out that the drivers are right in this unfortunate situation, they should sue the living hell out of the company. The company has to learn a lrsson at some point that their shady behavior and abusement of rules will no longer be tolerated by its workers. Some of you may disagree but it has to stop and the only way they will stop it is if those employees hit them super deep in the pocket and they are exposed horribly in the press. Their already exposed everyday anyway with the drivers. Those idiots don't think drivers dogg them to customers? Lets be real customers are dumb yes, but their not that dumb when they see a driver pulling up to their loading dock or garage and it looks like WORLD WAR 6 in the truck like a bomb went off in their truck. They keep freaking themselves more and more each day. The cat is out of the hat with how bad a company they are already.

realbrown1

Please read you post. Incoherent ranting of someone who's crazy. It makes no sense.

I am not picking this as my battle. I always support my brothers and sister teamster if there is even the slightest chance that they are right. All my teamster brothers and sisters, just not the ones who I politically agree with.

If you have proof or evidence that Liam, or any of the E-BOARD has done ANYTHING wrong to you or any other teamster, please post your proof here ASAP.

If you don't have proof, then as I thought, you are nothing but a blind, Hoffa follower who will do anything to tear down all TDU locals or other non-affiliated locals.

So here is you chance to make your point that Hoffa is great, and others including TDU need to go away. All you have to do is prove anything in your rant of a post.

member6045

I clearly know that during a termination a BA will walk a member off the property and tell him he will stay on touch! Which this conversation will be the last he hears from an 804 board member unless they call the hall! I also support my fellow members! You don't support Hoffa and you criticize me? So I can't criticize the board? They caused the job action! An arbitrator could have decided this case on it merit! Not 248 members!