UPS forcing deletion of posts on BrownCafe

Discussion in 'UPS Information Technology' started by Dfigtree, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Dfigtree

Dfigtree New Member

Since the Brown Cafe is "not sponsored or endorsed by UPS" and the "Brown Cafe is [a] privately operated internet community for UPSers." then shame shame shame on BC for allowing itself to be run over by a trucking company.

And since this is the case, you might want to lower the number of "eyeballs" visiting this site.

2. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

Please read "Posts removed".

Also, I would like you to consider that this site is run by a private person who certainly does not have the resources to go up against Big Brown. We do have to moderate *some* things that are posted here in order to avoid lawsuits.

3. pretzel_man

pretzel_man Well-Known Member

Hoax, please correct me because I'm making educated guesses...

Did UPS contact the Brown Cafe and ask for the post to be removed? Or did an individual contact you directly about a post you made?

P-Man

4. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

As usual, your educated guess is right on.
    It involved my use and misinterpretation by others of the phrase "intangible benefit". They thought I was implying "ulterior motive".
    I said I would remove my post since I was too busy to explain and they were too upset about it.

From a BC technical point of view, I learned that if you delete the original post, it removes the entire thread.

Much Ado About Nothing in every aspect.

5. The malls are still somewhat better in Wayne....otherwise you have to trip out to Short Hills and pay those snobbery prices....UPS delivers the goods to all of them however, without any ulterior motive. Wayne NJ also has the famed 'Pompton Queen' diner, a hallowed relic from my youth.

Go UPS!
    P71

6. pretzel_man

pretzel_man Well-Known Member

Hoax,

In the other thread, I posted that when the Morristown building opened, there were rumors that there were "intangibles" or "ulterior motives" then as well. There were not...

Its always funny that UPS saves money when we open a building and also when we close it.... In either case, its good that we constantly analyze the situation.

In either case, you did the right thing when you posted and also when you killed the thread.

P-Man

7. The choice of Mahwah in the late 80s was also a painstakenly fair demographically driven process. I also think the choice to move corporate to Atlanta was done with people in mind first and foremost (Conneticut taxes being a very close second).

Go UPS!
    P71

8. Bubblehead

Bubblehead My Senior Picture

So the First Amendment doesn't apply to UPS?
    This legislation does not imply that you remain anonymous when exercising freedom of speech.
    With the bulk of negative material posted on this site about UPS, I have to believe a potential lawsuit against the site was not a motivating factor in its deletion.
    Even if Hoax realized that he was mistaken, it should not have resulted in the deletion of the thread.
    A retraction in a subsequent post should have been sufficient to satisfy his conscience and critics in the corporate tower.
    Hoax, were you threatened??
    I would think that the First Amendment protects you in this incident.
    Something stinks!!!

9. Bubblehead

Why is this topic being hidden in this section of the forum?

10. Monkey Butt

Re: Posts Removed?

First Amendment rights only protect the individual from being censured by or retribution from the government. UPS is not a government.
    I was not threatened and the reason I removed the thread was because the person was so upset about it. I do not want my management who are very good, caring people, to be concerned over my actions. Respect and a good working relationship is a two-way street.

11. scratch

scratch Least Best Moderator Staff Member

And what is being "hidden"? The original thread that Hoax started had to do with this forum. He has already explained several times that UPS did not ask for it to be removed, no deep dark conspiracy of any kind here.

In ten years, UPS has only officially contacted Cheryl one time, and that was because somebody used Mike Eskew's name and picture as his Username and started posting some racially offensive stuff.

12. Monkey Butt

Structure of Brown Cafe
    Site
    Forums
    Threads
    It is not being hidden, this is the forum where the original thread was started.
    This thread was started by an IT employee.

or

It could be a conspiracy.

13. Bubblehead

Good answer, better watch your back.

14. upsgrunt

upsgrunt Well-Known Member

It's hidden over there on the grassy knoll, by the stockade fence, near the triple underpass bridge in Daley Plaza.

15. Bubblehead

Just didn't seem to be an IT issue to me.
    Current events, which I had no problem with by the way, would dictate the thread being moved to the discussion forum.

16. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

I say we move it to the Airline/Gateway forum.

17. whiskeyagogo

whiskeyagogo Member

Well, Morristown is an Information Services building, so the original thread was here. The placing seems to make sense since the people impacted are IT and not operations. my two cents

18. Bubblehead

My bad, I thought this particular thread was about "UPS forcing deletion of posts on BrownCafe".
    That's what it says in the title anyway.
    Wasn't following the original deleted post, but do now see the connection.

19. softshoe

softshoe Member

Funny Stuff!

20. Monkey Butt

I am constantly amused by people who were not trying to be amusing so I guess it is my turn. :wink2: