UPS freight driver wages

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I don't understand their hostility that some freight guys have toward the rest of us on the package side. We are all UPS employees that will either sink or swim with this company. I for one love UPS even though as we all know some days really suck. The pay is second to NONE, and I encourage anyone and everyone to look for a better compensation package for our line of work. Really why can't freight guys wave back when I wave at them?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't understand their hostility that some freight guys have toward the rest of us on the package side. We are all UPS employees that will either sink or swim with this company. I for one love UPS even though as we all know some days really suck. The pay is second to NONE, and I encourage anyone and everyone to look for a better compensation package for our line of work. Really why can't freight guys wave back when I wave at them?

The logo may say UPS but the mindset is still Overnite.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over this.

Buckethead

I work for freight, and I have no issues with anyone or any other division that is part of UPS. But maybe this will shed some light on the feelings of the freight side.

Yes we are paid very good and our raises are very good, but if we dont get the mileage what good are the raises? Example, we had multiple high mileage runs 3 years ago, but over the past 3 years, they have just about disappeared. Contractors and rail have taken their place. 50% of the road board at our barn have only a 2-day bid run.(20 hours worth of work) The rest of the week we are begging for work.

Alot are complaining about the 401k, and that they are loosing money every year that goes by, since we lost the match.

The over all feeling (especially exOvernite) is that it would have been better right now if ups would have purchased another company.

I dont see it that way, then again, I never worked for Overnite. I worked for the other company that was purchased.

With that being said, is that a reason to have an attitude towards other employees, in any division? No.

But, as im sure you have seen for yourself, in this occupation, we arent the most rational group of people.

jomaha

i'm a retired teamster-retired in 1996-was very fortunate to come from a teamster dad-joined in 1959-glad you upsers still holding on to good jobs. i was a freight hauler-for a regional until the early nineties and then was lucky enough-thanks to the local-to get on with a big company on a relay operation for the last 41/2 before i retired. it's sad what has been happening in this country the past 20+ years-i think it all started with the air-traffic controllers and reagan in '80-but hope you guys keep the faith-i was very fortunate-retired with full benefits and 30 yr pension. wish the super rich weren't so intent on sucking all the money to the top of the food chain and putting the working man into poverty level jobs. but i pray all you guys and gals will be as blessed as i and live to see a good pension!

Jim12663

Considering UPS Freight. Have applied and been called. While they say they pay 39.5 cents per mile (I currently make more) they say the avg driver makes 59K per year. Benefits aren't as important as my wife works for large co w/great benies. They claim I would be home two nights per week during the week and every weekend. Not sure how they calculate as the 1800 miles they say is the minimum, times the CPM is equal to a little over $700 a week.

Would like to hear the "real deal" from those who currently work there. Are the wages what they claim? Better? Worse? Hours better or worse???

Thanks!