Ups Freight You Have A Choice!

My terminal is all ready to join the union. 80% of us know that the future of any UPS company is with the Teamsters. Once the Indy contract is reached, then we will join. We don't expect much from the first contract, but we are all looking to get some real job security. Without the teamsters in our corner we don't feel we have a chance. The overnite way is over, suggs is gone and we are now UPS and UPS is a Teamster company.

I don't know which terminal your from, must be one with less than 20 , every driver I have had the pleasure to visit with has said, IBT NO WAY WILL I SIGN WITH THEM. We have all done fine with out them , beat them before, can do it again. But if were to join a union it would be APWA, long before ever joining IBT.
They agree all Freight Co's that went Belly Up were IBT repersented if that doesn't tell us what we need to know, we are over looking the obivious.
Remember , Ask questions, get the answers, be sure what your getting into.

NOT, we are signing because UPS is a Teamster Co., Most UPS drivers have seen where their headed and seen the change in the IBT, so ask them also their thoughts on their future.

There have been blurbs about this story for the past year as far as I know in local paper's business section and in Wall St. Journal. It is true, group of ICs in Mass. and in California have had enough with being self employed, lease their truck, buy their gas, get suckered into it by thought of making big $$$ and after all is said and done, they are living below poverty. That's after working 14 hour days. To top it off, as ICs you would think you work for yourself, but from what I read and heard, there are more and more FedEx managers telling them what to do. If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck...sounds to me that they are EMPLOYEES of the Fedex empire. Gotta give a tip of the hat to those dudes who got the ball rolling. Some were fired, harrassed, probably :censored2:ed with in other ways for testifying to NLRB. I guess you don't mess around with Fred S's "business model" of having the efficiency of three of his company's drivers do the job of one UPS driver. (dripping with sarcasm i hope you realize.

Once Fred has to take on the full labor costs involved--employees, their payroll, their benefits, vehicles ,fuel, maintenance, and actually pay these ICs who really are employees--whatever profits he thought he was going to make will be a wash. His outperforming stock will tank also.

Unions had their place when our grandparents were working in factories at the age of 5 and working 25 hours a day. I have been a Teamster, a supervisor at UPS, a courier at Fedex. They have their place in today's world also, but if they can't manage UPS's contribution to the Teamster pension fund, and do it without mismanagement, I'd be concerned if I was a UPS Teamster.

You have to believe that as much of a-holes your immediate boss may be, UPS is the largest contributor to that fund, correct. I would bet they make their payments promptly for the benefit of their own employees receiving a pension when they retire. What happens when the IBT screws with the money, you go to retire and the IBT tries to blame no money or mismanagement on UPS?

Hate to say it but the brotherhood doesn't have a real good reputation with handling things. If there was an alternative, it may be worth looking into. IF I was the one writing those checks to the IBT, I would want to be damned sure it went to my (UPS) employees. Yeah you are all brothers, but in the end do you really give a crap about the teamster working for Joe's trucking when it comes to getting your pension? When it comes to money, give me mine and I'll decide what charity I want to share it with. Just food for thought.

This is great advise from someone who has been there, experienced different levels and view points, of the worker ,his advise sounds very good to me. I agree Uncle Rico.

Ironshot

This is great advise from someone who has been there, experienced different levels and view points, of the worker ,his advise sounds very good to me. I agree Uncle Rico.
Finally I hear some sanity! Even, and I say "Even" (being very hard on the APWA) The APWA can't get this first contract perfect, then it will surely do better the next time. One can't do any worse then the IBT as it stands now.
UPSF Harrisburg was visited last week by company smucks trying to tell employee's that they don't need the APWA. Thanks' UPS for telling everyone you're recognizing us!!! Sign the APWA card and lock the IBT out.

local776

Local,
You're naivety is really showing through here. You're simply regurgitating the lines that your BA gave you. But just to bring to light the hypocrisy of your point, where does the IBT get its money? How does the IBT fund the pension plans? How does the IBT pay for the BLOATED SALARIES of their officers? How does the IBT pay for its party in Vegas they had a few weeks back? How does Hoffa and Keegel pay for the over-priced portraits of their over-sized egos?

WITH THE MEMBERSHIP DUES AND PENSION CONTRIBUTIONS THAT WERE EARNED WITH OUR HARD WORK

It's our money! Not the IBT's money!! And when the APWA is voted in, their budget will be supplemented the same way, by the membership dues and pension contributions. Fortunately for us, the oversight and transparency that they have written into the charter will prevent such wasteful management of our money. People have educated themselves on the better services and representation that the APWA can offer. And people who have chosen the APWA, believe Van and Danny because they have the numbers to back up their claims, and they dont mind telling the truth, regardless of whether it hurts or helps their position. Integrity----something that has been lacking in our union representation for a long time. And people recognize that. Thats why when you look at the poll on the APWA, 61% of those who voted find them more appealing than the Teamsters.

What say you?
sorry for your luck i have no B/A. i am just a person asking questions.
lets say the APWA gets 1875 nationwide employees to give 150.00 = 281,230. but what have you gotten for the 150.00 you paid? NOTHING
------------------------------------------------------
now lets say they APWA retains 5 terminal in 1 year. those terminals there were 1875 employees, lets say the dues were 40.00 per month
this would equal out to 75,000 per moth and 900,00.00 per year PLUS the 281,230.00 for membership.= 1,181,230.00 THIS IS JUST DUES NO PENSION ummmm where would the money go since there would not be NO overhead such as:buisness agents, Local Halls, receptionist, etc. seems like somene is makeing a penny here. You speak of VAn and DANNY speaking the truth when they would not answer a direct question and are misleading people in our area(HRS Terminal) they are Central States when in fact they ARE NOT.

Ironshot

lets say the APWA gets 1875 nationwide employees to give 150.00 = 281,230. but what have you gotten for the 150.00 you paid? NOTHING
now lets say they APWA retains 5 terminal in 1 year. those terminals there were 1875 employees, lets say the dues were 40.00 per month
this would equal out to 75,000 per moth and 900,00.00 per year PLUS the 281,230.00 for membership.= 1,181,230.00 THIS IS JUST DUES NO PENSION ummmm where would the money go since there would not be NO overhead such as:buisness agents, Local Halls, receptionist, etc. seems like somene is makeing a penny here. You speak of VAn and DANNY speaking the truth when they would not answer a direct question and are misleading people in our area(HRS Terminal) they are Central States when in fact they ARE NOT.
local776,
Trouble is you ask the same questions... As for "where" the monies go? Hello it's a NON PROFIT organization. The funds are salaries or op costs anything else is in the APWA accounts. Again "IF" you really wanted to know? The APWA has in its constitution that the officers can be fired by vote at anytime. Can you do this in the IBT? If you really wanted to know you would have attended the meetings and sat thru it. The BA's are to be district or regional, if a location actually feels the need for a "local" the APWA will give them one as stated by Skillman. The dues are $68 for the first six months then are cut in half under the constitution. That is $34. No increase in dues can happen without a 66 percent yes vote of the voting rank and file. ( Hoffa just increased the teamsters on his own recently right?) Now, stop being a IBT hack and get your future under control by getting with the APWA program. Ask the Local776 president "How many Indianapolis UPSF employees are on the negotiating committee"? The answer is "Zero" 'Cause Hoffa knows what you want! So stop asking questions of others you can really get on your own and withdrawal from the donkey and cart crowd. As far as "they" (Van & Danny) not being in the Central States. You are again not being honest, I have the CS Statements for their pensions. I was just in a meeting and Van or Danny had no trouble answering all the questions. Oh and a few of the International Officers came all the way from Washington DC to look stupid directly outside our meeting room. Must be nervous in "horse and buggie land"... For not being a "real" union the IBT is acting pretty nervous. LOL

nospinzone

Local,
You make an excellent point here on how the APWA is going to provide more bang for the buck. As I'm sure you know, the only true weapon/threat that a union has is the ability to call a strike. And this is limited by how long the union and its members can hold out financially. So where will all of that extra money go to?.................ONE BIG FAT STRIKE FUND. That correlates into some strong negotiating power. And that is with the cut in membership dues that Iron mentioned. Thanks for pointing that out for us, Local!

MAN I GUESS IT IS TRUE.... if you talk enough crap people will believe anything you say. non profit means they it for no money right???????? i must be missing alot here. a brand new union can promise you gold out of :censored2: but it still smells crappy. tell me how they are promising this great retirement(pension) with no proof what so ever just a bunch of numbers????? take there figures they promise go to a financial person and they will have a good chuckle....

As a proud member of thr IBT, I want to let you UPS/Frieght driver know that we are not going after your pension. We are trying to help you have the chance to win a great contract, where you would get compensation for the overtime work you do appropately after 8 hours instead of 40 hours. And give you the ability to speak your minds with out retaliation of voicing your opinions. Ask any of your new fellow UPS counter parts how they feel about the representation they have, give the Teamsters a chance, they won't let you down!

Ironshot

As a proud member of thr IBT, I want to let you UPS/Frieght driver know that we are not going after your pension. We are trying to help you have the chance to win a great contract, where you would get compensation for the overtime work you do appropately after 8 hours instead of 40 hours. And give you the ability to speak your minds with out retaliation of voicing your opinions. Ask any of your new fellow UPS counter parts how they feel about the representation they have, give the Teamsters a chance, they won't let you down!
Ya, whatever, we at Overnite know you and your union all to well. As for the we aren't after your "pension" line? Once again, either ill informed or lying.

Ironshot

MAN I GUESS IT IS TRUE.... if you talk enough crap people will believe anything you say. non profit means they it for no money right???????? i must be missing alot here. a brand new union can promise you gold out of :censored2: but it still smells crappy. tell me how they are promising this great retirement(pension) with no proof what so ever just a bunch of numbers????? take there figures they promise go to a financial person and they will have a good chuckle....
Everyone, here is another IBT hack, trying to pass himself off as a real worker. Critizing what he doesn't know or want to know. Meetings are open to all package and freight employees, so if you are in this group and can behave yourself at a meeting then you could listen, ask and learn that the world isn't flat. Last check UBS and New york Life are real companies.
Hey, Teamster why don't all UPS package workers get full credit for the contributions made on their behalf in any IBT Pension Scheme? Why is Fred Gegare, Union chair of Central States Fund, VP at large have 4 yes 4 pensions? By the way what does a VP at Large do? After all the "Contributions" are in financial centers "we" hope? Sounds like more waste.
Why does 'ol Fred get a Million dollar lump sum option also with the retirement? Also why does he get "Free" healthcare for Life? Do any of the
actual principles in the IBT get this? "Principles" meaning the workers paying the dues! Oh! sorry the workers are "working" for the IBT, not the other way around. This information was gracefully provided by the TDU.
I'm just forwarding it. And for TDU members, I am sorry you got screwed again.

mittam

I did take the numbers t a financial expert, he saw what UPS puts in each week and what we have when we retire, he apologized for laughing then paused , got serious and said,"you guys are getting royally screwed"

local776

local776,
Trouble is you ask the same questions... As for "where" the monies go? Hello it's a NON PROFIT organization. The funds are salaries or op costs anything else is in the APWA accounts. Again "IF" you really wanted to know? that the officers can be fired by vote at anytime. Can you do this in the IBT? If you really wanted to know you would have attended the meetings and sat thru it. The BA's are to be district or regional, if a location actually feels the need for a "local" the APWA will give them one as stated by Skillman. The dues are $68 for the first six months then are cut in half under the constitution. That is $34. No increase in dues can happen without a 66 percent yes vote of the voting rank and file. ( Hoffa just increased the teamsters on his own recently right?) Now, stop being a IBT hack and get your future under control by getting with the APWA program. Ask the Local776 president "How many Indianapolis UPSF employees are on the negotiating committee"? The answer is "Zero" 'Cause Hoffa knows what you want! So stop asking questions of others you can really get on your own and withdrawal from the donkey and cart crowd. As far as "they" (Van & Danny) not being in the Central States. You are again not being honest, I have the CS Statements for their pensions. I was just in a meeting and Van or Danny had no trouble answering all the questions. Oh and a few of the came all the way from Washington DC to look stupid directly outside our meeting room. Must be nervous in "horse and buggie land"... For not being a "real" union the IBT is acting pretty nervous. LOL
you dont no what your TALKING ABOUT. many unions are non profit check it out for yourself, "IF you have the knowledge."
The APWA does not have a constitution. All they have is a statemant. you can look at their web site under " A new look what makes the APWA better"
Before you open mouth and insert foot try reading the post. What was said is: The apwa is tryng to mislead ( The employees from Mechanicsburg Pa) by saying they are central states, to spell it out for you Van and Danny are central states but the people here at "HRS. UPSF are not.
Next we will touch on the meeting. I have been at 2 meeting here in Pa and since there is a guard standing at the top of the stairs checking employees ID I find it funny that the International Officers would be able to get to the ground floor to begin with ,next you must have xray vision to see the IBT outside when the APWA has closed door meetings.

Last edited:

Teamster251

PSST Drvr Local 251 PRORI
Ya, whatever, we at Overnite know you and your union all to well. As for the we aren't after your "pension" line? Once again, either ill informed or lying.

Ill informed or lying?
How about you don't know of what you speak of.

Overnite/UPSF's pension is protected under law and is the property of UPS. The IBT has no right to it legally or morally. I suggest you get off your step stool and do some research and thinking for yousdelf instead of being led around and misinformed by the company and the APWA.

To be quite honest I have only read your last few post and you are typicall of an Overnite puppet. I wouldn't be surpridsed if you were one of those Internet wannbees Overnite hired and placed on others boards in the past to look like legit employees. Everyone knows, especially UPS ?Overnite upper management tha ta split vote between IBT and APWA will end in a 51% company victory.

APWA has about as much support as a bowl of Jello.

What bothers me the most it to see hard working UPS freight guys dupped into thinking the things you guys think. You suck up all the Overnite progranda about the IBT like gravy off a Thanksgiving plate.

Don't sweat it though Iron, Overnite can be APWA little experiment and when they fail you have nothing to fall back on but yourselves. The Teamster won't be there to catch you, just ask anyone from NewEngland Motor Freight. They choose another union, are getting porked, and have no one to blame but themselves. The Teamsters don't want or need them back

Enjoy the day, T251

Buckethead

NOT, we are signing because UPS is a Teamster Co., Most UPS drivers have seen where their headed and seen the change in the IBT, so ask them also their thoughts on their future.

Wait a minute, no one likes the Teamsters of the past, present and now future?! Boy, I wish I had the same Crystal Ball that y'all have.

You don't like them the way they are and you don't want them to change. Sounds too middle of the road for me. Even if they did every thing you pro apwa's wanted to the letter you still wouldn't be happy.

brownman170:

There's alot of us that are going to give the IBT a chance, in fact, were counting on it!

I was happy to see ups buy our companies, but they haven't shown us much yet. Some of us just want the taking away to stop. You see, for some of us the pension isn't the only thing to worry about. It's all about the big picture.

Dogbite56

Dogbite56
I don't see why you guys would want to splinter the union. In 1978, when our contracts were all bargained by either region or district, a strike was called in Philadelphia. What did the company do? They closed down Philly for a year, and came back in '79 and hired all new employees. All deliveries in Philly were handled by out of district drivers. Still UPS, still Teamsters, but Philly was shut out. Now, if you're talking a whole region signing with APWA, then you have some power. If not, you're looking at the same thing that happened to Philly. Shut down any area the company feels is making unreasonable demands. Not even necessarily that. Just to provide a lesson.

As far as pensions are concerned, no, we do not want to take over your pensions. In Western Regional, we're funded to over $30B, as I recall. I just qualified for my 80 points, but know I'll have to work for another 5 years. What's the point of retiring at 50 if the pension won't compare with my 55 hour average paycheck? Even if I scale down my lifestyle, I figure to be that much more secure if I put in a few more years. My health is just fine, so I don't see that as a problem. I feel just a tad insecure about the way the country is moving toward socializing the pensions, hope it doesn't come to that, but I figure those who have the brains to help provide for their retirement when it comes, should be ok. It's great to be able to buy UPS stock at a 10% discount, and they're solid on the way they're paying their dividends, but even that isn't the only stock I own. Don't keep all your eggs in one basket. I don't want to have to depend solely on any one part of my retirement preparations, but hope that every precaution I've taken will see me through however much time I have left when I do retire.