Ups future and upstart companies.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Can you take anybody serious with a name like Hyman?

Seriously, there have been numerous businesses that have tried to do it better or cheaper, or both, and they are all out of business.

I don't think $5 to ship a used dress to a customer is that bad a deal. I would not be worried about the $5, I'd be more worried about the used dress.

UPS and FedEx should cut her off and then listen to her whine. Her open mouth is only good for one thing....

CHALLY9TX

Can you take anybody serious with a name like Hyman?

Seriously, there have been numeous businesses that have tried to do it better or cheaper, or both, and they are all out of business.

I don't think $5 to ship a used dress to a customer is that bad a deal. I would not be worried about the $5, I'd be more worried about the used dress.

UPS and FedEx should cut her off and then listen to her whine. Her open mouth is only good for one thing....

I see your point. But I see ups being reactive instead of proactive . Just like peak this past year. Then I see this fedex vehicle today.
image.jpg
Instead we waste our money on something like ORION.

P

pickup

Rent a run way ships many of their packages 1st day or 2 day air. If the CEO is looking for an alternative to Fed ex and UPS, it better have a bunch of planes sitting on a tarmac.

clean hairy

@ things normally happen with these start up companies.
They will be fail, or be successful and be bought up by another company.
Look what has happened with Cell Phone providers such as Alcatel and how many others? They get swallowed up by the big players.
I see that could be the case with these new ones opening up.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Rent a run way ships many of their packages 1st day or 2 day air. If the CEO is looking for an alternative to Fed ex and UPS, it better have a bunch of planes sitting on a tarmac.
People are completely oblivious to the costs associated with shipping goods.

People were more willing to pay shipping charges 25 years ago than they are now. Even though now they ship 10x as much.

Purplepackage

All of these start up delivery companies look great on paper, but the truth is will this tiny companies be willing to work 14 hours a day around chirstmas to deliver thousands of packages? The answer is no

And also it sure looks like amazons delivery company is taking off, just google lazership and you'll find some great videos of their drivers

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Let's remember that as large as Amazon is , it still has not made a profit .
All these new shipping companies are serving a niche base , small in size & learning from their errors . Remember DHL had $5B to spend & still failed .
They have not taken into account the cost of doing business in most metro areas ; parking fines , daily traffic , & etc .
I would love to see one of these new companies take over the Pottery Barn or West Elm accounts .
How many oversize rugs will those little drones carry ?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
All of these start up delivery companies look great on paper, but the truth is will this tiny companies be willing to work 14 hours a day around chirstmas to deliver thousands of packages? The answer is no

And also it sure looks like amazons delivery company is taking off, just google lazership and you'll find some great videos of their drivers
I know first hand about lazership .
When I was working the Customer Counter people would always be dropping off their parcels as being left at the wrong address . I told the nice people to keep them since we were not the carrier and would only be throwing it into the trash .

F

FrigidAdCorrector

*shakes head*

Of course costs are going up over time. That's how things work. I dare her to build a company that can get her dresses from urban California to podunk Kansas overnight. You are always going to have a high cost in something when it comes to business whether it is product acquisition or running a building. If you want to let people rent clothes and send them back shipping is obviously going to be a big part of your business.

She should take a look at hourly costs for an aircraft. Her eyes would shoot wide open. Our 767s cost 5000 an hour to operate. That doesn't even include maintenance, crew, landing fees, cost to load and unload, etc. We have good margins, but we aren't stealing money from our customers...

barnyard

KTM rider
People were more willing to pay shipping charges 25 years ago than they are now. Even though now they ship 10x as much.

Free shipping is destroying the value in shipping. People will only value things they pay for. Free NDA upgrades are possibly one of the biggest destroyers of value.

werenotthepostoffice

deep down inside I really do not care
I run a van pick-up route and at least three days a week I have to double trip! Yeah,UPS is on the rocks and getting ready to go out of business. (stoopid :censored2: lady)

AutoZone

BrownPower
Free shipping is destroying the value in shipping. People will only value things they pay for. Free NDA upgrades are possibly one of the biggest destroyers of value.
Who offers free shipping?? Lol when you purchase something let's say, off of eBay, and it says Free shipping... It's not "free" lol.. The seller no matter who it is adds that to the purchase price, and is sometimes valued more then the actual shipping to add to their profit..

Example: I want $50 for this watch I'm selling.. I know to ship it will probably be about $5.. So I'll sell it for $59.99 with free shipping! So now I've actually made $55 on my sale and increased my profit.. Times that by the amount of items people sell and its free money/profits for the seller..

oldngray

nowhere special
Who offers free shipping?? Lol when you purchase something let's say, off of eBay, and it says Free shipping... It's not "free" lol.. The seller no matter who it is adds that to the purchase price, and is sometimes valued more then the actual shipping to add to their profit..

Example: I want $50 for this watch I'm selling.. I know to ship it will probably be about $5.. So I'll sell it for $59.99 with free shipping! So now I've actually made $55 on my sale and increased my profit.. Times that by the amount of items people sell and its free money/profits for the seller..

Mostly true but not always. I have bought things where the shipping costs would have been more than the cost of the item.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Mostly true but not always. I have bought things where the shipping costs would have been more than the cost of the item.

I bought my son a 6' HDMI cable on Amazon for less than $3 with free shipping. Granted, it was not a top of the line cable, but it more than served it's purpose.