UPS Guilty of Race Discrimination? Shocking! July 27, 2010

Popeye

I can find fault with UPS for many things but racial discrimination is not one of them.

My building is in a predominantly white area, but our Division Manager who oversees the entire facility is black. Other than one driver and one on-car sup, he is the only black face among over 500 employees there...and he runs the show.

There are also a large number of other minorities and women in positions of authority. And it has been my experience that they are indeed qualified for the jobs they hold, rather than merely being a token hired to fill a quota.

Its unfortunate that UPS is obsessed with quotas in other aspects of the business, but at least hiring and promotion doesnt seem to be one of them.

Probably a lot of white people discriminated against to put him in that job. Oh, sorry, I forgot. That's not considered discrimination. The question isn't whether they're qualified. It's whether they were THE MOST qualified.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Probably a lot of white people discriminated against to put him in that job. Oh, sorry, I forgot. That's not considered discrimination. The question isn't whether they're qualified. It's whether they were THE MOST qualified.
That fact that you make that assertion without any evidence at all to support is indicative of the real problem. If a white guy was in the job it wouldn't even occur to you that he might have got the job over a more qualified black person even though that's precisely what has gone on in this country for years. In your mind, there is always a white person who can do the job better than a black person, so therefore the only people who ever get discriminated against are white, and the only evidence you need for that is that a black person got the job.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That fact that you make that assertion without any evidence at all to support is indicative of the real problem. If a white guy was in the job it wouldn't even occur to you that he might have got the job over a more qualified black person even though that's precisely what has gone on in this country for years. In your mind, there is always a white person who can do the job better than a black person, so therefore the only people who ever get discriminated against are white, and the only evidence you need for that is that a black person got the job.

Jones, although he could have worded it better, Popeye does have a point, especially in his last sentence. I don't agree with the first part of his post but that last sentence does have merit and has been the cause of many reverse discrimination lawsuits.

I was passed over 3 times for a promotion...Was told because I looked white...But that was 20 years ago...That doesn't happen today, does it?

Popeye

The chip on your shoulder is showing. I don't think race or gender should be factors in promotions at all, but they are. And the simple fact is that if you're non-white and/or female you are given an advantage in the promotion process. The number of "minorities" and females being promoted is disproportionately high based on the percentage of the employee population they represent. I agree that in the past the shoe has been on the other foot. But that doesn't make what's going on now any less disgraceful. The result either way is someone besides THE best person getting the promotion, and that's bad for the company.

<<I don't think race or gender should be factors in promotions at all, but they are.>> Let's not forget age as a factor. Let's not forget religion. (Actually religion is kind of iffy but I always felt the pressure.) Heck I got a call in my office from my boss who was at a "peer review meeting" asking me for my age and for my direct reports gender and color. I guess he just wanted to know.

U

upsman39

I'm here 27 years and ups is very racist. And no i'm not black.you have to be italian jewish irish white to get over at ups.

moreluck

golden ticket member
UPS in years past have bent over backwards advancing minorities to the extreme of reverse racism. It happened and it's been witnessed, so don't poo-poo it!!

rod

Retired 22 years
I'm here 27 years and ups is very racist. And no i'm not black.you have to be italian jewish irish white to get over at ups.

In my old center you had to have blond hair and big hooters---------------------------------------------------------and be female.

Nimnim

The Nim
correct------------------------------------------------I figured I would clarify it before someone asked the inevitable question

Hey, we're talking about race discrimination not moob discrimination.

Anyways, any company that has been around for a hundred years is bound to have some skeletons in their closet, both past and present.

A

an anonymous guest

You're all correct but why does UPS support marathons and not sprints, 5Ks, and 10Ks...that's the real race discrimination.

Happy New Year!!

Go UPS!
P71

brownIEman

Just to point out something here about the original post -
The title is "UPS Guilty of Race Discrimination..."

That statement, based on the link the original poster himself provided, is false.

In October 2000, Fischer, an African American, sued UPS in federal court, claiming race discrimination, retaliation, and harassment. UPS obtained summary judgment on the race discrimination and retaliation claims, and the harassment claim proceeded to trial in December 2001. Fischer's supervisor, Alison Jarlett, testified for the defense. The jury returned a verdict in UPS's favor.

He sued for discrimination, retaliation, and harassment. The discrimination and retaliation claims were thrown out and not even allowed to go to trial. The harassment claim went to trial and he lost.

The trial he later won was a trial in which he sued the company for retaliating against him for suing them in the first place. It had nothing to do with race.

The original poster was trying to confuse and mislead you, and in some cases appears to have been successful. Perhaps the negative rep given to the OP was justified.

Where is Integrity when you need him?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Just to point out something here about the original post -
The title is "UPS Guilty of Race Discrimination..."

That statement, based on the link the original poster himself provided, is false.

He sued for discrimination, retaliation, and harassment. The discrimination and retaliation claims were thrown out and not even allowed to go to trial. The harassment claim went to trial and he lost.

The trial he later won was a trial in which he sued the company for retaliating against him for suing them in the first place. It had nothing to do with race.

The original poster was trying to confuse and mislead you, and in some cases appears to have been successful. Perhaps the negative rep given to the OP was justified.

Where is Integrity when you need him?
brownIEman,

I have reviewed this thread and I agree with your assessment of the situation.

Sincerely,
I

DS

Fenderbender
brownIEman,

I have reviewed this thread and I agree with your assessment of the situation.

Sincerely,
I
I nominate you Ombudsman of the browncafe,your intentions seem pure and your integrity, genuine, you stand up for the people.
Keep up the good work.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I nominate you Ombudsman of the browncafe,your intentions seem pure and your integrity, genuine, you stand up for the people.
Keep up the good work.
Ds,

I thank your for the kind words.

I certainly would be glad to help in any way I can.

Change will come when each person does their job and handles their concerns with Integrity and not against him.

Sincerely,
I

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
Where did you pass the bar? "It appears the company was not allowed to present evidence it felt would help their case." Just admit it..They lied as usual.
the problem with the rep system is the scoring . it should be there to tell someone you agree or disagree with their posting certain information. The scoring system turns it into a punishment / reward system. the threads would be easier to read if you did not have to weed through the agree/ disagree +1 posts.

I can see the negative rep on the post. the winning of this lawsuit does not mean the company acted in a discriminatory fashion only that the guy was able to win his case in court. Reading through the case it appears the company was not allowed to present evidence it felt would help their case. as a mid level manager I know opportunities are presently enhanced for minorities. we are asked to identify minority candidates that can be "fast tracked" for promotion. The op has a right to post this information here. Socks also has a right to question the motives of the OP for posting this information and to thus neg rep him for his percieved intentions. The question is of all the relevant ups info the op could have posted why did he feel it necessary to post this bit of information. Its all part of the message board format to ask these questions.