UPS has two seasons

W

westsideworma

You're never safe at UPS.

Safety tip of the day: call in :wink2:, can't get hurt if you aren't here

know thats not the same type of safe you meant haha, but that was the running joke among loaders/etc when I loaded.

It really does seem like this company is looking for reasons to fire people lately. I'm not really sure what good can come of that. I know many will say lately? but overall our building was pretty good to work at, sure they expected the impossible (still do) but at least they weren't arrogant about it as they are now. Granted I'm one of "them" now, but I try to remember where I came from which is something not many people higher up seem to do.

oko

[Elmer has shot Daffy one too many times]
Daffy Duck: Shoot me again! I enjoy it! I love the smell of burnt feathers, and gunpowder, and cordite! I'm an elk! Shoot me, go on! It's elk season! I'm a fiddler crab! Why don't you shoot me? It's fiddler crab season!

pkg-king

You're never safe at UPS.

I used to think this too, but with all the new drivers (generation y's) that are so not good, it is virtually impossible to get fired. There are so many drivers that just want to do their own thing and can't get themselves to conform to the rules. All you have to do is show up and do the job the way they want, follow the methods and you can't get fired.:peaceful:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

P-king, while I would hope that their would be more to it than that, unfortunately, you are right. I am 47 and my main cover driver is 24 and he has all he can do to keep up with me.

pkg-king

P-king, while I would hope that their would be more to it than that, unfortunately, you are right. I am 47 and my main cover driver is 24 and he has all he can do to keep up with me.

Not to put down the young guns but, they're the ones not calling in mloads so they won't be asked to run them which would cause them to get done past 5pm, they also sheet packages NSN or NI1 and not even make an attempt. Or being rude to customers telling them to ship elsewhere because they have to get done early. Dont' get me wrong, there are some very good cover drivers, it's just amazing what the bad ones get away with until they get caught.

filthpig

The punk drivers I run into make me ill. They go out with a 1/2 empty ruck and still bring stuff back and then scratch their heads when they get canned. Sissies.

feeder53

ADKtrails
There is a different type of work ethic in the people coming up. I wish I could remember what I was like at that age and starting out at a good paying job. I worked on our farm and everything had to be done....there was no excuse. For what UPS pays, I would think the would have some ethics. It may be they are intimidated, but I always put my best foot forward no matter what. Time will tell........and just think that these are our future leaders........I see this at both my jobs.

feeder53

ADKtrails
Stinger, the word reputation is the key. What we do and how we do it affects the way people see and judge us. Keep up the good work. people do recognize it.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
4 drivers fired in my center in 20 years. You don't get fired unless you deserve it. A few others I could do without but they keep their job thanks to the union.

rod

Retired 22 years
4 drivers fired in my center in 20 years. You don't get fired unless you deserve it. A few others I could do without but they keep their job thanks to the union.

Heck in my little center you could always count on at least 1/4 of the drivers being fired for some stupid reason every year. Off the top of my head I can only think of 2 in 30 years that stayed fired permanently. For some reason they never fired anyone during peak season. Can you imaging that.:wink2:

rod

Retired 22 years

Heck at my little old center you could count on at least 1/4 of the hourlies being fired every year. I only recall 2 that never made it back. What a waste of time and $ on UPS's part. I guess it takes less energy to say "your fired" than it does to give a guy a tounge lashing or a warning letter. I've seen drivers fired for such things as leaving the rear door or the bulkhead door open. For awhile they were firing you if there were more than 3 drivers at the same restaurant taking a break. How about being fired for having a bird break your windshield. If it wasn't so pathetic it would be funny.

Last edited: