UPS Health Benefits Shock for Retired Union Employees

kumet

hey. i just got a letter saying my retiree med insurance is going from 50 a month to 742.50.ouch 25% of my pre tax pension

moreluck

golden ticket member
Thankyou Obama !! May I have another, sir?

Maybe you need to look at it in context. If a member of your family needs chemo....maybe many months worth........it runs $11,000.00 a session now..........it was $9,000 in 2009. If they need 8 or 10 months worth, you are talking a ton of money. Makes $700.00 seem like little to pay. Thank goodness for coverage!

The Milkman

hey. i just got a letter saying my retiree med insurance is going from 50 a month to 742.50.ouch 25% of my pre tax pension

Nice Christmas present from UPS..Nothing like a slight increase...Guess alot of guys nearing retirement will have to rethink their plans.........Doubling the rate is one thing but this is way overboard.
:surprised:

upsrogue

I got the same letter. The price of $742.50 (for families) is per month billable in quarterly installments so Aug. 1 your insurance payment will be $2227.50. My initial take is that this is a contract negotiation ploy (contract expires Aug. 1) or UPS is counting on people to drop coverage in favor of Obamacare. The price doesn't change when you qualify for medicare, even though your coverage does. That means a husband and wife will be paying $495 per month for a medicare supplement.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
$50 a month was too good to be true to begin with. Ours is roughly $500 a month now on a 3K pension. I assume it will be $1000 a month by the time I retire. So be it, I should have no other bills.

DorkHead

I got the same letter. The price of $742.50 (for families) is per month billable in quarterly installments so Aug. 1 your insurance payment will be $2227.50. My initial take is that this is a contract negotiation ploy (contract expires Aug. 1) or UPS is counting on people to drop coverage in favor of Obamacare. The price doesn't change when you qualify for medicare, even though your coverage does. That means a husband and wife will be paying $495 per month for a medicare supplement.

That`s odd. I`m on Teamsters health care plan, not UPS`s. I didn`t get a letter.

The Milkman

Health Benefit Shock

I retired on Jan 1st 2008 with over 25 years of service..My pension was decent and my health benefits that were explained to me before I retired were to cost me only $50.00 a month..Yes only $50.00 a month..I switched over my plan a few years before my retirement to keep the same benefits..Yes I do see from other posts that other regions of this country pay a lot more than our local 177 in New Jersey..Well I got a letter today saying that on August 1st 2013 that my $50.00 will now jump to $742.50.....What are you kidding me!! I figured that maybe someday there would be a slight increase sometime before my 65th birthday, but this amount floored me..I guess UPS will eventually have an all P/T workforce with no benefits someday the way they are going..Little by Little inside friend/T Jobs are red circled and then replaced by P/ter's..While the Fat Cats in Atlanta call the shots enjoying their Fat Checks and Stock options off the backs of all the Brothers and Sisters who have made this company the Global Giant it is today, it saddens me that GREED again rears its ugly head..Lets just squash the little guy, the drivers now are nothing and have been nothing for years but a number, especially after going public..

So what do all those who still have kids and are planning on retiring in the next yr or so to do? Work till they drop dead on the Job? Yeah a lot of late 50 and early 60's guys who are already beat up from all the yrs driving. The old cars with no Power steering and high steps that have beat them down in the earlier years...Can they finally retire and recieve the benefits due them that for all those years and years of monies deposited into the benefit package on their behalf?? Seems like UPS forgot that they would not be where they are today without what Team Brown did for them..

Sad day for America again....Again I don't mind an increase but such a HUGE jump makes me wonder..I have 4 more yrs before 65 so I can wing it.....How would people feel if gas one day was $3.00 bucks a gallon then the next day it was $30.00 bucks a gallon??? I still feel that my pension and benefits for the most part are better than many out there, but in due time........... The Once Great Place to Work with Good Benefits will just fade away and be a distant memory in the minds of those who can remember the old saying "UPS is owned by its managers and Managed by its Owners" R.I.P.:sad2:

oldupsman

Rogue, did you just turn 65?

oldupsman

Re: Health Benefit Shock

I retired on Jan 1st 2008 with over 25 years of service..My pension was decent and my health benefits that were explained to me before I retired were to cost me only $50.00 a month..Yes only $50.00 a month..I switched over my plan a few years before my retirement to keep the same benefits..Yes I do see from other posts that other regions of this country pay a lot more than our local 177 in New Jersey..Well I got a letter today saying that on August 1st 2013 that my $50.00 will now jump to $742.50.....What are you kidding me!! I figured that maybe someday there would be a slight increase sometime before my 65th birthday, but this amount floored me..I guess UPS will eventually have an all P/T workforce with no benefits someday the way they are going..Little by Little inside friend/T Jobs are red circled and then replaced by P/ter's..While the Fat Cats in Atlanta call the shots enjoying their Fat Checks and Stock options off the backs of all the Brothers and Sisters who have made this company the Global Giant it is today, it saddens me that GREED again rears its ugly head..Lets just squash the little guy, the drivers now are nothing and have been nothing for years but a number, especially after going public..

So what do all those who still have kids and are planning on retiring in the next yr or so to do? Work till they drop dead on the Job? Yeah a lot of late 50 and early 60's guys who are already beat up from all the yrs driving. The old cars with no Power steering and high steps that have beat them down in the earlier years...Can they finally retire and recieve the benefits due them that for all those years and years of monies deposited into the benefit package on their behalf?? Seems like UPS forgot that they would not be where they are today without what Team Brown did for them..

Sad day for America again....Again I don't mind an increase but such a HUGE jump makes me wonder..I have 4 more yrs before 65 so I can wing it.....How would people feel if gas one day was $3.00 bucks a gallon then the next day it was $30.00 bucks a gallon??? I still feel that my pension and benefits for the most part are better than many out there, but in due time........... The Once Great Place to Work with Good Benefits will just fade away and be a distant memory in the minds of those who can remember the old saying "UPS is owned by its managers and Managed by its Owners" R.I.P.:sad2:
Milkman, Aug 1st is when the contract is up. I'm in the same position you are. Now I was always under the impression, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong,
that the health care was part of the contract. UPS can not change this unless it's agreed to in the contract. This could just be part of the negoiations. They scare the retirees
to go running to their locals. And they use that to get concessions somewhere else. Or still get an increase in the premium, but maybe not that much. I'm not going to panic
yet. But that Aug 1st date isn't by accident.

Camping Nana

Re: Health Benefit Shock

I see you are located in Arizona. Did you work in Arizona as a driver? Or did you move to AZ after retiring? Isn't Arizona part of the Teamsters Western Conference? Our medical insurance is $75 per month each ($150 for both of us) and we recently received a letter stating that our insurance would remain the same. DH was in Northern CA while working so maybe there was a NorCal "rider" that had to do with our insurance. ???

Forgive me... I just went back and re-read your original post. You must have been a driver in New Jersey?