UPS Health Benefits Shock for Retired Union Employees

oldngray

nowhere special
I got same letter telling me me insurance costs will increase effective August 1, 2013 because the average cost per person exceeded $6250. No exact numbers or real explanation, just as everything else they do. Possibly a negotiation game because of contract ( looks at Aug 1 date ) or could be Obamacare. But to massively raise premiums 5 times as much ( for me ) with no real explanation is typical of their past practice. And my retiree health insurance IS UPS, not Central States. (Through Aetna). I make my check out to UPS and mail it to Atlanta.

TUT

Re: Health Benefit Shock

Good question..How do people survive? My question is..How did we survive in the 60's and 70's with healthcare back then.. You never heard a peep about medical costs back then...Now it is a national crisis..The cost goes up faster than gallon of gas

Figure 15% a year forever, until something is done. That is why I don't mock the new health care laws, something has to change, doing nothing is total fail. So you have to start somewhere and continue to improve that. The problem is the country is split 50-50 politically, so when one side makes a choice the other-side will sabotage it politically.

But it must be nice to work in an industry where you can just keep raising prices and such a rate. Also love being the country that pays for the drugs at full retail so the rest of the world can get it at a reasonable price, why? Because our system allows for nearly any price to be set and insurance just picks that up, where the other countries have universal health care with limits on what can be charged. So it's amazing how something here can cost $50 and the same thing elsewhere $5, because the industry has no choice, either get $5 or nothing, they take the fiver every time. Regualtion vs DeRegulation I suppose.

My father uses Humana under Medi Care, I was surprisingly amazed at how affordable it is and what they get in return. If what is stated here became reality, moving from $50/month to $750. I would consider looking into this plan instead.

kumet

it baffles me that a large % of that selfish 50% vote against their best interest but in the best interest of the greedy rich.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

it baffles me that a large % of that selfish 50% vote against their best interest but in the best interest of the greedy rich./QUOTE]
And how did those of us who voted against Obama do that? Since he won, why is health care premiums not going down? He said they would??????

The Milkman

Figure 15% a year forever, until something is done. That is why I don't mock the new health care laws, something has to change, doing nothing is total fail. So you have to start somewhere and continue to improve that. The problem is the country is split 50-50 politically, so when one side makes a choice the other-side will sabotage it politically.

But it must be nice to work in an industry where you can just keep raising prices and such a rate. Also love being the country that pays for the drugs at full retail so the rest of the world can get it at a reasonable price, why? Because our system allows for nearly any price to be set and insurance just picks that up, where the other countries have universal health care with limits on what can be charged. So it's amazing how something here can cost $50 and the same thing elsewhere $5, because the industry has no choice, either get $5 or nothing, they take the fiver every time. Regualtion vs DeRegulation I suppose.

My father uses Humana under Medi Care, I was surprisingly amazed at how affordable it is and what they get in return. If what is stated here became reality, moving from $50/month to $750. I would consider looking into this plan instead.

The Milkman

A little over 4 years then I will have to pick..untill I am 65 I guess I have no choice.....My wife is a few yrs older than me so I will have to wing it for about 7 months then I will just be paying for myself.....I will have to drop my handicapped son, as UPS is his secondary insurance anyway.........Figured someday this would come......

oldngray

nowhere special
It might be scary if Medicare is raised to 67 (as quite likely will happen) and UPS insurance ends at 65. Looks like there might be an ugly gap in coverage.

The Milkman

my guess ups wont end till medicare kicks in. also medicare age will increase according to your age .

Eventually as they keep raising the age..Most people will die well before collecting anything...Average life span for men is about 78...so bust your butt all your life, limp out into retirement, have them take a big chunk out for Part B...Then hopefully get to enjoy your remaining days in somewhat good health.....But for most UPSERS..you will leave with your body in need of some sort of repair.. I left at 55 with a Major Rotator Right shoulder cuff repair in 98, both elbows fixed in the following yrs, had carpal tunnel done, had my back messed up and my left shoulder fixed by surgery after a head on collison while stopped at an intersection in a P-700 in 2000......So when you do hang it up chances are you will be one of the few that leave in good physical shape..... I wasn't..........

kumet

old habits die hard. honestly i hope you an your have a great new years and things turn out better for everyone then you anticipate

moreluck

golden ticket member

A little over 4 years then I will have to pick..untill I am 65 I guess I have no choice.....My wife is a few yrs older than me so I will have to wing it for about 7 months then I will just be paying for myself.....I will have to drop my handicapped son, as UPS is his secondary insurance anyway.........Figured someday this would come......
The smart move is to use an ins. broker to get all your info. It doesn't cost and they do all the checking out of the different ins. companies and they can answer your questions on Medicare.

Our guy has been valuable in shopping around different med. ins. plans for us in the past dozen years.

The Milkman

The smart move is to use an ins. broker to get all your info. It doesn't cost and they do all the checking out of the different ins. companies and they can answer your questions on Medicare.

Our guy has been valuable in shopping around different med. ins. plans for us in the past dozen years.

Broker? I am just going on Medicare and will have to choose a Part B plan of some sort......Is that what you mean? Someone to sort it out for you? Every state I am sure is a little different..

The Milkman

QUOTE=UpstateNYUPSer;1074896]You shouldn't need an insurance broker to choose your Medicare supplement plan.[/QUOTE]

Thought so