UPS Health Care 2010 in VISION - Non-union

airbusfxr

Well I didnt read the non union part. Sorry but Grade 20s pay and what is fair for Grade 20s is fair for all non union. Hopefully alot of these groups will decide to unionize. Years ago we had alot of BPs and they say the light, I suggest you do the same.

air_upser

options are 80/20 or 85/15 co-insurance. Annual deductable must be met before any claims are paid. Only coverage options are self and self+family (no more self+spouse). Self+family annual deductible is $3000 I think. Haven't seen the entire presentation yet. In any case.....it's not pretty. No change in dental/vision.

brett636

UPS contracts with United Healthcare for a regional solution; it's not just Kentucky.

The market distortion is the concentration of market power in the hands of too few insurers. I have no problem with a uniform set of standards, as long as they are 'median' standards, not a race to the laxest or loosest standards.

When a person is insured in Kentucky the policy must meet the state of Kentucky's mandates for what kind of coverage that person is entitled to. The same goes for a person insured in Indiana, Ohio, etc. In Connecticut there is a mandate for hair replacement surgery. What if I lived in Connecticut and I wanted to buy a policy, but due to my genetics I don't need hair replacement surgery? I still have to pay coverage for it even though I will never need it. Now if I could buy a policy from Vermont where that mandate does not exist than perhaps I could get a cheaper policy. Some states mandate coverage for alcohol and drug abuse, but if you don't overuse alcohol or abuse drugs then you are paying for coverage you don't need. That is simply the point I am trying to get at. Nothing more.

:)

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
When a person is insured in Kentucky the policy must meet the state of Kentucky's mandates for what kind of coverage that person is entitled to. The same goes for a person insured in Indiana, Ohio, etc. In Connecticut there is a mandate for hair replacement surgery. What if I lived in Connecticut and I wanted to buy a policy, but due to my genetics I don't need hair replacement surgery? I still have to pay coverage for it even though I will never need it. Now if I could buy a policy from Vermont where that mandate does not exist than perhaps I could get a cheaper policy. Some states mandate coverage for alcohol and drug abuse, but if you don't overuse alcohol or abuse drugs then you are paying for coverage you don't need. That is simply the point I am trying to get at. Nothing more.
:)

And I agree that that sort of regulation can be confusing and raises costs. However, some of the regulations make sense, and there should be some sort of floor for coverage that includes the basics. If drug and alcohol abuse is optional,then it should be optional everywhere at the same price.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
Has anyone heard anything regarding retirees insurance? This change for retirees would be horrible.

Nothing in my mail yet, but I'm pretty sure we get the same plan as non-bargaining unit, assuming we have enough 'credits'. At least, that has been my experience in the two years since I retired.

For those who don't have enough 'credits', UPS had joined something that made reasonable care available in a group, so they weren't dumped on the individual market.

Of course, this is only good until 65, then we go on Medicare like everyone else.

Went to our meeting today. All I can say is that, once again, middle-management and the administative employees are being raped by our "leaders." The Traditional plan for 2010 will cost a family 3 times what they payed in 2009. How much further can middle-management's and professional employees' backs bend without breaking? It's outrageous that a company that makes money hand-over-fist can't take care of its employees any better. How can an administrative employee's family pay over $3000 for a plan (plus 15%) and a union employee's family pay $0?

Any suggestions on how to change the downward spiral before everything we have disappears?

airbusfxr

Call you local Grade 20 and tell him about your struggle. This is the way the company will clean house, middle mgt, overstaffed AOTs, and BPs. It is sad and when the drivers are asked to pay in the next contract expect a strike because it will come to that. UPS pays the Grade 20s and above to run the business, they figure it is better to have people quit instead of laying off sups. Health care can pay for your health care, dont let them trick you.

nervIS

Call you local Grade 20 and tell him about your struggle. This is the way the company will clean house, middle mgt, overstaffed AOTs, and BPs. It is sad and when the drivers are asked to pay in the next contract expect a strike because it will come to that. UPS pays the Grade 20s and above to run the business, they figure it is better to have people quit instead of laying off sups.

What the hell is a grade 20, and how do I find out who s/he is? I do not think that any new UPSers know what that term means. Is a grade 20 a Application Manager, Portfolio Manager, Project Manager??? Does IS use that grading system? I thought we had levels in IS. CIM uses the grade system (I think).

Health care can pay for your health care, dont let them trick you.

Is this some kind of Laurel and Hardy routine?

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
What the hell is a grade 20, and how do I find out who s/he is? I do not think that any new UPSers know what that term means. Is a grade 20 a Application Manager, Portfolio Manager, Project Manager??? Does IS use that grading system? I thought we had levels in IS. CIM uses the grade system (I think).

Grade 20 is payroll speak for DISTRICT MANAGER.
An Operations Manager is grade 19. A Division Manager is grade 18. A center manager (business manager, whatever) is grade 16.

These are NOT the IS levels, which run from 33 to 93 or something.

Hubrat98

An Operations Manager is grade 19. A Division Manager is grade 18. A center manager (business manager, whatever) is grade 16.

A division manager is a higher grade than an operations mgr. Otherwise the boss would make less than the managers that report to him/her.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

These are NOT the IS levels, which run from 33 to 93 or something.

A division manager is a higher grade than an operations mgr. Otherwise the boss would make less than the managers that report to him/her.

Actually, this is the order of Grades in the Non-IS world at UPS:
Region Mgr - 24
District Mgr - 22
Region/Corporate Staff Mgr - 20
District Operations Mgr - 19
District Staff/Division Mgr - 18
Center Mgr - 16
Center Supervisor - 14

Last edited:

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
back to the thread -

can anyone rationally break down the options for 2010 and how the might effect a normal family? I know,we will be paying more - I am more confused about the options. being in sales, they usually "forget" to send us an invitation for the town hall when they give you the options.

i want to enter a no spin zone - how much is each really going to cost?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
back to the thread -

can anyone rationally break down the options for 2010 and how the might effect a normal family? I know,we will be paying more - I am more confused about the options. being in sales, they usually "forget" to send us an invitation for the town hall when they give you the options.

i want to enter a no spin zone - how much is each really going to cost?

You did not miss anything ... presentation is pretty much worthless. Typical UPS sales pitch (no offense).
:puppet:

The bottom line is - wait until the package comes and figure it out from there. On second thought, don't wait. Pull together all your receipts and expenses from this year and last year so you can figure out which way to go. One thing HR made perfectly clear, it is up to the individual to figure this out.
Hopefully some IE or Accounting person will put together a spreadsheet to help figure this out.
:geek:

As far as planning for next year, don't get sick and don't go to the doctor.
:bloodshot:

One thing is pretty obvious ... UPS's long term plan is to freeze their medical related costs (adjusted to Net Present Value) at a mid-90's level and have the employee to pickup the additional cost. UPS Health Care will still protect employees from catastrophic medical costs up to a point ... after that you are expected to die.
:doctor:

Last edited:

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
You did not miss anything ... presentation is pretty much worthless. Typical UPS sales pitch (no offense).
:puppet:

The bottom line is - wait until the package comes and figure it out from there. On second thought, don't wait. Pull together all your receipts and expenses from this year and last year so you can figure out which way to go. One thing HR made perfectly clear, it is up to the individual to figure this out.
Hopefully some IE or Accounting person will put together a spreadsheet to help figure this out.
:geek:

As far as planning for next year, don't get sick and don't go to the doctor.
:bloodshot:

One thing is pretty obvious ... UPS's long term plan is to freeze their medical related costs (adjusted to Net Present Value) at a mid-90's level and have the employee to pickup the additional cost. UPS Health Care will still protect employees from catastrophic medical costs up to a point ... after that you are expected to die.

lol. my medical expenses were next to nothing last year, but with the new baby, I have no clue which one would be the best.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
options are 80/20 or 85/15 co-insurance. Annual deductible must be met before any claims are paid. Only coverage options are self and self+family (no more self+spouse). Self+family annual deductible is $3000 I think. Haven't seen the entire presentation yet. In any case.....it's not pretty. No change in dental/vision.

My take away:
Get all your surgeries and medical procedures out of the way this year.
I am planning to have my quadruple bypass surgery before the end of the year.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
by claims, do they mean doctor appt?

for instance,, go get a physical - total cost from doctor is 1000...does that mean you pay 20% - $200....or do you have to pay the whole annual deductable first?

OR does that mean if you break your arm, they arnt covering it at all until you hit some deductable number?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
by claims, do they mean doctor appt?

for instance,, go get a physical - total cost from doctor is 1000...does that mean you pay 20% - $200....or do you have to pay the whole annual deductable first?

OR does that mean if you break your arm, they arnt covering it at all until you hit some deductable number?

You pay the full deductible first and then pay 20% thereafter (I'm pretty sure I remember that correctly).
Max out of pocket for the year for a family is $6000.
I'm waiting for the packet to come so I can be sure on these things (as I said the presentation was poor).