UPS Hiring anybody off the street??

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Drumstickz82, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Drumstickz82

Drumstickz82 New Member

So, I went through regional training recently, I won't disclose the area. More of a very condensed version of integrad..

Only real test to pass, 5 seeing habits, 10 point commentary...that's it. And a couple safety rides. And the cbts..

Why are they hiring just anybody...people there in uniforms they put on right out of the bag(it was obvious), unshaven, most of the class didn't even have uniforms. Unpolished boots, and very I missing something here?

I come from a military background, so I take pride in my uniforms and boots, I'm here to get the job done and learn it to run efficiently...alot of lost souls in the class, and I don't think they know what they are in for...

It's just confusing to me...setup for failure from the start
  2. Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union Thug Eva Mendez Has A Nice (_!_)

Usually an "off the street" hire is someone already at UPS but from the part-time supervisor pool. It's usually a "fast track" hire. Meaning....current full-time supervisors where they work have been impressed with their managing skills and/or the candidate has brown nosed and/or kissed ass enough to get noticed by someone. Once selected they are meant to be a driver just long enough to quality (maybe longer) and will later be moved back into management as an "On Car Supervisor."

Everyone once in a while UPS will actually hire someone from outside UPS. That is extremely rare in most areas. For that reason whoever gets the call for that should consider themselves VERY lucky. Statistically speaking anyway.
  3. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Luck had nothing to do with it.

I got mad skillz.
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    • List
  4. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

People are being hired off the street all over the country right now.

Not even enough applicants here to fill the openings. So yeah they are hiring anyone that can drive a stick and pass a background check.
  5. bbsam

bbsam Moderator Staff Member

don't they have to promote part timers into driving first?
  6. Pooter

Pooter Active Member

For every 6 part timers they can hire 1 off the street.

It's sad that more part-timers aren't jumping on the opportunity.
  7. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Not if none of them qualify. Tickets, DUI, failed driver school,can't drive a stick, ect.
  8. Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union Thug Eva Mendez Has A Nice (_!_)

Not here. Only feeders is falling short.
    The ratio has to be six part-timers to every one "off the street." And it doesn't have to be six consecutive inside hires. Occasionally management will decide to hire off the street after only hiring four (for example) consecutive insiders. They might even skip the off the street hire for another insider. As long as the ratio stays the same.
  9. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 mouth breathers...everywhere

To quote YOU..."Yawn."
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

Interwebz Dave.
  11. cachsux

cachsux Wah

I'll have to hit you up for pointers on those skillz the next time I get in trouble and need to kiss the wife's ass.
  12. Drumstickz82

Drumstickz82 New Member

I'm an off the street hire from outside the company, seems like most of the class is as well...

I'm just stunned because some of these people are asking really stupid questions, like they never even researched the job and don't know what they are getting into..and are being pushed right can just look and tell they are got going to make it..they are only seeing $$
  13. We are getting off the street hires in the six for one ratio.
  14. joeboodog

joeboodog good people drink good beer

Can't force them to sign the bid sheet. I just hope the part timers passing on driving realize how rare this opportunity is. It has been almost 30 years since UPS has gone on such a hiring binge.
  15. 40 and out

40 and out Active Member

They have big signs outside my 3 center hub "hiring package car drivers and feeder drivers" These are not for seasonal. I've never seen these signs before. Very strange because there is a several year wait for part-timers to go driving
  16. Kicked Your Dog

Kicked Your Dog 22 Year South Cal UPSer

Sounds like you ARE all off the street the street to become on-roads!

1BROWNWRENCH Amatuer Malthusian

It's starting to show with all the damage. Had another 2014 Freightliner rendered unusable by a rookie a few days ago.:disgusted:
  18. mdnj88

mdnj88 Active Member

All the part timers are passing on driving or not making it and being sent back to hub. I came in with another off street hire 2 years ago and 3 off the street casuals were made full time after peak because we needed people so bad.
  19. salt

salt New Member

the area i work at as a part timer in WA is currently still at peek volume. i just went through and passed my driver training class an am waiting to get a call to go out driving. my class was 16 people deep and only 2 of them where "off the street" they both had worked peek either last year or the one before. as far as uniforms only 4 people out of the 16 had one because they are on back order. yeah ups is hiring drivers off the street because people don't want to work 11 hour days 5 days a week.... yeah most people don't know what they are getting into but ups has to get the packages out the doors not to mention the rate at which people "wash out of training". why are you so bothered by this? its a problem with people inside the company that don't want to sign the bids not the people off the street.
  20. joeboodog

joeboodog good people drink good beer

And they still force us old guys to drive ancient POS's.