UPS Hiring anybody off the street??

the area i work at as a part timer in WA is currently still at peek volume. i just went through and passed my driver training class an am waiting to get a call to go out driving. my class was 16 people deep and only 2 of them where "off the street" they both had worked peek either last year or the one before. as far as uniforms only 4 people out of the 16 had one because they are on back order. yeah ups is hiring drivers off the street because people don't want to work 11 hour days 5 days a week.... yeah most people don't know what they are getting into but ups has to get the packages out the doors not to mention the rate at which people "wash out of training". why are you so bothered by this? its a problem with people inside the company that don't want to sign the bids not the people off the street.

I wouldn't say overly bothered by it..just surprised I guess, knowing it's a kind of military type structure, I guess I was expecting more quality than anything else.

Hearing questions like "how many stops do we make a day? 40?", or "are we finished up by 5 at the end of the day?" (I know that on will bring out the BC commentators) ..or "do we only have to work 8 hours?" ....misinformed, or not at all..and setup from failure from the start, getting their 5 and 10 worksheets the first day of class......

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to trash anyone. I'm just going to do what I need to do, not trying to stand out.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I wouldn't say overly bothered by it..just surprised I guess, knowing it's a kind of military type structure, I guess I was expecting more quality than anything else.

Hearing questions like "how many stops do we make a day? 40?", or "are we finished up by 5 at the end of the day?" (I know that on will bring out the BC commentators) ..or "do we only have to work 8 hours?" ....misinformed, or not at all..and setup from failure from the start, getting their 5 and 10 worksheets the first day of class......

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to trash anyone. I'm just going to do what I need to do, not trying to stand out.
No this is what's so funny about management. All we hear is how much better off the street hires are and how the appreciate the job more.

Now we can't even find anyone off the street to fill the positions and the ones that do apply are just as you describe. Management is mad now "why don't you all recommend some people you know? These guys don't have a clue about what the job is like."

It's comical if you ask me.

Cyrex

Anyone want to tell me where the areas (at least states) are that actually need drivers? I was told that I would not be considered for seasonal even if I moved for it witch I would have loved to do. However they would consider me if it was FT. I already have a CDL with doubles and triple and getting tired of my area so a change would be nice. I then could run package car or feeders.
Just I don't know what places need them.

The only thing I really look for is decent pay and home every night or moring instead of sleeping in the truck. If my wife was not from Russia, needed to learn stuff, and could work and drive right away I would not mind the being away.

I am from a military background as well. A lot of the stuff that comes with the job that people talk about here does not bother me becaues it could always be worse.

Last edited:

ups1990

Can't force them to sign the bid sheet. I just hope the part timers passing on driving realize how rare this opportunity is. It has been almost 30 years since UPS has gone on such a hiring binge.

Some PT's are passing up their spot because in my opinion they are plain scared and or intimidated because they load our trucks, they see and hear what today's drivers are going through. By 2020, a good number of drivers will have retired, so we might just see the unimaginable of seeing off the street hires as full time drivers.

Some PT's are passing up their spot because in my opinion they are plain scared and or intimidated because they load our trucks, they see and hear what today's drivers are going through. By 2020, a good number of drivers will have retired, so we might just see the unimaginable of seeing off the street hires as full time drivers.

2020?

In the Chicago area it's happening now.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I don't get this grudge against off the street hires. I have seen my fair share of both off the street and inside hires and it boils down to whether they can do the job or not.

I don't get this grudge against off the street hires. I have seen my fair share of both off the street and inside hires and it boils down to whether they can do the job or not.

Whether they can do the job but also give some respect to those that put some time in. They won the UPS job lottery, don't get a big head over it.

oldngray

nowhere special
31184-large.jpg

http://english.learnhub.com/lesson/6889-the-lottery-full-text