UPS Hiring anybody off the street??

Daalcaar

31184-large.jpg

http://english.learnhub.com/lesson/6889-the-lottery-full-text
This story is really good. This is actually where the Hunger Games books originated from.

UPS lottery? Really??

Yea, really.

Being in the right place,at the right time, for the right opportunity, is akin to buying a winning lottery ticket.
You could have just had the opposite luck and stepped in front of a bus while crossing the street to go to the employment office. With your track record that is the safer bet.

You got the job, have kept it for 25 years, congrats. But don't have any misconception that it was anything more than the above that landed it for you.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Ability-able to sheet EAM'S in the building so they won't show late.

Military service-knows somebody who knows somebody.

Mad skillz-what Cach said.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

All kidding aside, I do realize how fortunate I was to have been in the right place at the right time. Luck may have opened the door but it was my ability and work ethic that has allowed me to stay for 25 years (and counting).

As for by-passing some PTer, I actually have more classification seniority than 2 other drivers. This was the contract you guys ratified, not me.

All kidding aside, I do realize how fortunate I was to have been in the right place at the right time. Luck may have opened the door but it was my ability and work ethic that has allowed me to stay for 25 years (and counting).

As for by-passing some PTer, I actually have more classification seniority than 2 other drivers. This was the contract you guys ratified, not me.

That's a fair way to look at it. Thank you.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
It is a gasser. Backed it hard into an immovable object. Crushed the door header in so far that the door won't open and tore the roof open. Claims he was only backing at 1mph and hit a tree. I don't see any bark...

We had a kid a long time ago do that in an old GMC 800. "Only" backing at walking speed, but the pole he hit put a perfect 'u' in the back bumper.

His old man owned the building we were in at the time. Can you say "swept under the rug?"

oldngray

nowhere special
We had a kid a long time ago do that in an old GMC 800. "Only" backing at walking speed, but the pole he hit put a perfect 'u' in the back bumper.

His old man owned the building we were in at the time. Can you say "swept under the rug?"

When I was on vacation one time the cover driver put a "u" in my back bumper. He reported it and got charged with accident like should normally happen. No nepotism that time.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I had one put out to pasture when the driver claimed his foot slipped off the clutch in reverse. The back wall was smashed in on the right and the drop floor was buckled. Man, that old 292 must have been at 4000rpm for that. LOL.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I had one put out to pasture when the driver claimed his foot slipped off the clutch in reverse. The back wall was smashed in on the right and the drop floor was buckled. Man, that old 292 must have been at 4000rpm for that. LOL.

Not to derail the thread, but I was given an old Ford 600 one year with the big six in it. center manager told me I'd get my truck back after peak. After peak, I was told that the truck was scheduled to be ADA'd, and as soon as that happened, I'd get a new one.

I learned real quick how nearly impossible it is to kill a 300 cu. in. Ford 6 cylinder.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Not to derail the thread, but I was given an old Ford 600 one year with the big six in it. center manager told me I'd get my truck back after peak. After peak, I was told that the truck was scheduled to be ADA'd, and as soon as that happened, I'd get a new one.

I learned real quick how nearly impossible it is to kill a 300 cu. in. Ford 6 cylinder.
Shame on you. Let the rookies or incompetent oil checkers do it.