UPS hiring

browner89

One question that always popped up on interviews was: how do I know if I'm doing a good job? I would answer: if I meet the expectation safely and efficiently and earn the trust of my supervisors. Not sure if this was a good way to answer?

They hire bodies, there is probably a DOL law requiring certain types of questions are asked in interviews, I don't think the answer really matters as long as you tell them you're willing to do what they ask.

They'll give you safety quizzes and briefs near daily and not follow a single recommendation. It's a show, nothing more.

browner89

The law is more about what questions are not allowed to be asked than simply what to ask.

But knowing what not to ask has created a general guideline of what to ask for an employer.

Unless your job involves direct contact with your customer than your answers shouldn't matter outside of the ones pertaining to your legal working status and how capable you are of completing the job.

Most PPT employees start out loading trucks. Not easy at first but you figure it out pretty quickly, little thought.

No thought goes into unloading.

Bagging small sorts is just as mind numbing.

Sorting small, pick off, and working the sort aisle are the only three positions on the typical evening/night shift (twilight/reload, whatever you prefer) that require any sort of brain function and you receive an extra $1 at many centers for being less than a drone.

TL;DR
My point to the question asked is: your answer isn't that important, they asked because its what they do. Tell them you want to work and that you're always available (reliable transportation, can work shifts where the start time isn't the same on a daily or weekly basis and you finish when you finish, no set time) and your name skyrockets to the top of the list essentially.

HardknocksUPSer

But knowing what not to ask has created a general guideline of what to ask for an employer.

Unless your job involves direct contact with your customer than your answers shouldn't matter outside of the ones pertaining to your legal working status and how capable you are of completing the job.

Most PPT employees start out loading trucks. Not easy at first but you figure it out pretty quickly, little thought.

No thought goes into unloading.

Bagging small sorts is just as mind numbing.

Sorting small, pick off, and working the sort aisle are the only three positions on the typical evening/night shift (twilight/reload, whatever you prefer) that require any sort of brain function and you receive an extra $1 at many centers for being less than a drone.

TL;DR
My point to the question asked is: your answer isn't that important, they asked because its what they do. Tell them you want to work and that you're always available (reliable transportation, can work shifts where the start time isn't the same on a daily or weekly basis and you finish when you finish, no set time) and your name skyrockets to the top of the list essentially.
That's how I've got every job I've ever had, tell them I'll work Monday-sat as many hours as they will give and I can start tomorrow, always works haha

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Very true, I could have drawn off of my dad's disability for the past two years and would make more than I do working preload now but I don't want a penny, I wana make myself useful to society, I do however want 1300$ paychecks in the future :)
No
You don't. If you're bringing home $1300 you're working way too much or not putting enough away. Lol

Live off $1000 a week and bank the rest. Retire a millionaire in 30 years. Happy ending.

HardknocksUPSer

No
You don't. If you're bringing home $1300 you're working way too much or not putting enough away. Lol

Live off $1000 a week and bank the rest. Retire a millionaire in 30 years. Happy ending.
Hell that works too, I guess I can live off 1000$ a week ;) being 19 years young (youngest one at my center) I say if I play my cards right and keep loading 5-10 years I'll finally get a full Time position, just gota hang in there, and hopefully when I'm 21 I'll try temp driving to get out of loading during peak haha

fres431

Awesome not sure if this Is true or if I heard it wrong. During my first interview the HR guy said probation was 6 months long? This was in a Southern California hub.
In NorCal it's 90 days after 90 days ya make book. Also depends on BA as long as you come into work work as directed you should make it.

browner89

Is it true background checks just take up to 20mins?

It depends how extensive of a check.

Whenever I purchase firearms the BG check is done over the phone in under 5 minutes, yet jobs claim they'll know in like 3 days if you passed or not. They just can't be assed to do it on the spot is all.

specter208

It depends how extensive of a check.

Whenever I purchase firearms the BG check is done over the phone in under 5 minutes, yet jobs claim they'll know in like 3 days if you passed or not. They just can't be assed to do it on the spot is all.
My background check for driver helping was done in front of me and took about 30 seconds.

Didn't want to create a new ,but I received a copy of my background check in the mail. you guys were right. It says it was completed in one day. I haven't received a call from UPS , does that mean I won't get the job?

tacken

Yeah man don't quit no matter how bad it sucks, it gets better as you learn to do the job, if your on preload focus on not having misloads not on speed. Just remember that. No other part time job is going to give you a dollar raise each year, insurance, and vacation so stick with it, don't work too hard or you'll get pounded with ridiculous amounts of work lol
Dont work to hard that should be the ups moto.The harder you work the more they give.