UPS in the near future

Braveheart

Last time there was a strike Fedex Ground did not exist...you can figure out the rest as your looking for a new job!

RPS was around which is what FEDEX ground is now. GPS was here then too. So you are wrong. GPS went bye bye. FEDEX bought RPS which is something I said we should have done!

We bought a freight company which eliminated another carrier and others went bye bye.

I would strike but there is another option.

Demand that your union take smaller raises accross the board for all full timers. In return we get stronger job protections, better work conditions, replace older trucks, and more flexible use of vacation time like individual use of some vacation days.

I would even pay a little higher co-pays for medical appts. We need stronger rules and penalties that protect our seniority, bumping, route cutting, harassment, telematics, lunch issues etc etc

It is a see saw. More money means more harassment. But if we take less money then we can get a better work place.

Hell I think flat 50 cent raises per year are more than enough. I would take a pay freeze or 25 cent raises if the company would make UPS a better place to work without all the constant harassment and excessive terminations and such.

They could leave the routes on and grant pay actuals for starters. I would gladly work 5-6 hours and bust it out than to have 20-30 stops plus pick ups off area added to my day and be harassed about why I worked 10-11 hours!

hdkappler

:happy2:
A strike would be disastrous. With the way everyone is being worked right now I do not think we should settle for less than we have, but we shouldn't get greedy either we would definitely not get any sympathy from the public if we went on strike.
:happy2:a strike wouldbe stupid.a lot of people would work for$ 20.00 per hour plus benifits.no ot till they work over 40 hrs.some scabs would work 60 hours strait time.you guys are lucky you have what you have.

trickpony1

:happy2:
:happy2:a strike wouldbe stupid.a lot of people would work for$ 20.00 per hour plus benifits.no ot till they work over 40 hrs.some scabs would work 60 hours strait time.you guys are lucky you have what you have.

.....so it's okay for the company to be greedy but we can't be greedy?

How does that work?

rod

Retired 22 years
I picture all the good old boys up in the ivory tower in Atlanta reading this and slapping themselves on the back saying "we've already won" -- the troops are ready to start back pedalling -----------------------Don't go down without a fight. The last I read UPS is still making some very tidy profits. The #1 rule of negotiating is NEVER ACCEPT THE FIRST OFFER.

22.34life

something many of you forget including myself is that not everbody is a friend/t package car driver making $29/hr.sure you would be happy with a .50 cent raise because your already making mega bucks.what about the part timers who get hired in at the same pay rate as 15 years ago maybe longer,how long can a company prosper with this kind of explotation.drivers and combo guys making $900-$1000 a week and part timers making $125/week with no benifits for a year then 18 months to add dependents and really no chance for a full time job for at least 5 years and thats being optimistic.the union is being back doored out of here,the new guys dont want to join because what are the teamsters doing for them and you know what i can understand that,so soon all the old timers will be gone and you will have a company of none union employees who will cross the picket line in a heartbeat.remember its the part timers who get the shaft that allows p/c drivers and combo guys to make the money they do,the part time system needs serious fixing.

evilleace

something many of you forget including myself is that not everbody is a friend/t package car driver making $29/hr.sure you would be happy with a .50 cent raise because your already making mega bucks.what about the part timers who get hired in at the same pay rate as 15 years ago maybe longer,how long can a company prosper with this kind of explotation.drivers and combo guys making $900-$1000 a week and part timers making $125/week with no benifits for a year then 18 months to add dependents and really no chance for a full time job for at least 5 years and thats being optimistic.the union is being back doored out of here,the new guys dont want to join because what are the teamsters doing for them and you know what i can understand that,so soon all the old timers will be gone and you will have a company of none union employees who will cross the picket line in a heartbeat.remember its the part timers who get the shaft that allows p/c drivers and combo guys to make the money they do,the part time system needs serious fixing.

+100:happy-very:

over9five

Staff member
I picture all the good old boys up in the ivory tower in Atlanta reading this and slapping themselves on the back saying "we've already won" -- the troops are ready to start back pedalling -----------------------Don't go down without a fight. The last I read UPS is still making some very tidy profits. The #1 rule of negotiating is NEVER ACCEPT THE FIRST OFFER.
+1. Anyone talking givebacks should pipe down!

iloadthetruck

In the long term, I see UPS corporate continuing to exist. But they will only own/operate two things: UPS Airlines and UPS International.

UPS Small Package will get sold off so that the cash can be used to fuel international expansion. If it can't be sold as a whole, the new region structure might make it easier to sell it off piecemeal. Whoever buys Small Package would license the UPS brandmark from corporate but be wholly separate. Either that, or UPS Small Package will be spun off in the next few years into its own company. This way, all the labor, wage, and competitive issues can become "someone else's problem" while the boys in Atlanta can party on.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
In the long term, I see UPS corporate continuing to exist. But they will only own/operate two things: UPS Airlines and UPS International.

UPS Small Package will get sold off so that the cash can be used to fuel international expansion. If it can't be sold as a whole, the new region structure might make it easier to sell it off piecemeal. Whoever buys Small Package would license the UPS brandmark from corporate but be wholly separate. Either that, or UPS Small Package will be spun off in the next few years into its own company. This way, all the labor, wage, and competitive issues can become "someone else's problem" while the boys in Atlanta can party on.

Is this a "Forward looking statement"?
I take it as tongue in cheek. Who would buy Small and how would International fund ? I know you're kidding. No humour is allowed on BC!!!

iloadthetruck

Don't I wish I was kidding! The reorganization "disconnected" most of corporate from Small Package. The writing is on the wall - we're not the money-maker for the company anymore. We gotta get rid of the "dog" (SmallPkg) and focus on the "stars" (Air & Int'l). Just look at our recent performance - yes, we made money - but not because we tried to do things better or smarter or uniquely. We tightened the belt and slashed costs, raised our performance expectations - but did not make any corresponding investments in how we get business done. Our methodologies are stale, we manage our employees using mostly instinctual hunter-gatherer methods. Scott Davis is a smart guy, but he's not an operations person. He's not interested in the bottom-line improvements that better methods would bring or the competitive advantage that a truly well-run operation will bring. He's only interested in the return on our assets. And Small Pkg is one asset that doesn't return much.

What do you think UPS will look like in the next 5 to 10 years ?.....What will the next contract look like ?....These are 2 keys questions and considerations all of us......
We are going to have this thing called My choice. You can pick when you receive your delivery. Plus we are going to deliver even more stuff to the post office.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Don't I wish I was kidding! The reorganization "disconnected" most of corporate from Small Package. The writing is on the wall - we're not the money-maker for the company anymore. We gotta get rid of the "dog" (SmallPkg) and focus on the "stars" (Air & Int'l). Just look at our recent performance - yes, we made money - but not because we tried to do things better or smarter or uniquely. We tightened the belt and slashed costs, raised our performance expectations - but did not make any corresponding investments in how we get business done. Our methodologies are stale, we manage our employees using mostly instinctual hunter-gatherer methods. Scott Davis is a smart guy, but he's not an operations person. He's not interested in the bottom-line improvements that better methods would bring or the competitive advantage that a truly well-run operation will bring. He's only interested in the return on our assets. And Small Pkg is one asset that doesn't return much.

Not bad but you're no Sober!

A

anonymous6

What do you think UPS will look like in the next 5 to 10 years ?.....What will the next contract look like ?....These are 2 keys questions and considerations all of us......

UPS Freight will merge with UPS Feeders and take over most of the Feeder dept for a savings of about 45% in manpower overhead.

Package drivers will be replaced with clones. (UPS has been funding clone research for years )

UPS will bust the union and with their lobbyists in washington will repeal or ban the minimum wage. they will import workers from 3rd world countries and house and feed them on property in exchange for labor. no actual wages.

Profits will skyrocket into the stratusphere so my advice is to RETIRE NOW and BUY as much STOCK as possible.

You heard it hear first.

orangputeh

Not bad but you're no Sober!
No one is. When he posts it's to the sound of a symphony orchestra. His words are like those words of John the Baptist as far as ups is concerned. The man can wright like I wish I could think. Dammmmmmmm he is the best thing we have on the Brown Cafe.

A

anonymous6

Agree. Management is probably starting these threads and seeing which way the wind is blowing.

$5,600,000,000 in profits ........PROFITS. and you all don't think we deserve a piece of the pie??? Read the latest Teamster magazine.