ups insurance cover lasik?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I've heard from a bunch of people that they're so happy they had it done. The thought of a laser near my eyes freaks me out to no end...however irrational...lol. i'll stick with my glasses.

browndingo

I've heard from a bunch of people that they're so happy they had it done. The thought of a laser near my eyes freaks me out to no end...however irrational...lol. i'll stick with my glasses.

I'm with you. I talked to a driver who had it done and loved it, but then he started telling me about how they clamp your head in place and your eye is propped open and the laser comes right down...

I had to clean my glasses, it was making my eyes water so much thinking about it.

oldngray

nowhere special
I didn't have lasic but I did have a lens implant (paid for by insurance) and I completely agree how scary it is for them to operate on your eye with eyes open. Lasic is a lot simpler surgery but still anytime they mess with your eyes you get nervous. I did need to go back a year later to have a capsulotomy where they just zap your eye with a YAG laser and that was just a zap! zap! and you're done in seconds.

Funtimes

I've had it done in 2007 and couldn't be happier about it.

My daughter works for ups and she will be getting insurance soon that's why I'm asking.
Do they offer a flexible spending account where u can put in 2500.00 a yr they take out of your paychecks for a year but they take it from your check before it's taxed?

oldngray

nowhere special
I've had it done in 2007 and couldn't be happier about it.

My daughter works for ups and she will be getting insurance soon that's why I'm asking.
Do they offer a flexible spending account where u can put in 2500.00 a yr they take out of your paychecks for a year but they take it from your check before it's taxed?

You can set up one of those accounts which are good if you expect to have high medical bills that year but they are use or lose money. You might end up paying money into the account you never spend and you would lose it at the end of year. I never set up one of those accounts and not sure of the details.

gingerkat

No insurance will ever pay for a "cosmetic" procedure. If you have a cafeteria plan that allows you to take pre tax dollars, that would be a good way to save for this.

I had Lasik done in 2002 and I have 20/20 vision (for the first 2 years it was 20/10). It can change from when you originally have it done. Your eyes/vision will constantly change and might need "tweaking" throughout the years.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I'm with you. I talked to a driver who had it done and loved it, but then he started telling me about how they clamp your head in place and your eye is propped open and the laser comes right down...

I had to clean my glasses, it was making my eyes water so much thinking about it.
I can imagine lol.....I've heard it's a simple procedure, but I think I'd pass even if our insurance covered it.

gingerkat

It was simple, but I was really scared. You can cut off my arm and sew it back and I'm cool with that, but my eyes were terrifying to me. They gave me a huge teddy bear to hold, a valium and I sat there expecting a horrible death - lol…and it was so quick and painless.

I'm happy as ever! I had seriously bad vision - coke bottle eyes if you must - lol

over9five

Staff member
HERE in Local 25, we have our vision care through Davis Vision. The plan provides for 25% off Lasik when done through a Davis Plan provider.
The OP should check what he has on his own plan, asking here will get him many different answers that won't apply to him.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
It was simple, but I was really scared. You can cut off my arm and sew it back and I'm cool with that, but my eyes were terrifying to me. They gave me a huge teddy bear to hold, a valium and I sat there expecting a horrible death - lol…and it was so quick and painless.

I'm happy as ever! I had seriously bad vision - coke bottle eyes if you must - lol
I hear ya...my vision's been terrible since I was a kid. I won't even wear contacts....voluntarily putting things in my eyes? No thanks...lol. The only way I could do it is if I were unconscious....lol. They could give me 3 teddy bears, valium and a beer IV......I'd still be like, ummm the laser's getting awfully close to my eyes.....lol.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

HERE in Local 25, we have our vision care through Davis Vision. The plan provides for 25% off Lasik when done through a Davis Plan provider.
The OP should check what he has on his own plan, asking here will get him many different answers that won't apply to him.

We have Davis also. My daughter wears glasses and when she was still on my plan she would bitch that she had to choose from the "welfare rack". I told her she was more than welcome to pick out any frame that she wanted and pay the difference. Suddenly the "welfare rack" wasn't so bad after all.

Like where to get ups socks?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I wish Teamcare covered Lasik, I would get it. Seems like its a better procedure than getting new glasses every year, you can easily spend $500-600 for frames and lenses. We get the 25% discount through Davis Eye Care too, although I have never known anybody that uses them.