UPS involved in 39 fatality accidents last year

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
Well Dave let me ask you a question. Let's say you are doing everything right, and it's the other nut jobs out there on the road that don't show you any respect in that 80,000 lbs doesn't exactly stop on a dime. What is slowing down going to hurt? What is a is cruising at 68 mph verses 65 mph going to do for you other than increase your time by 3 Min's over the course of an hour. You get paid by the hour. Who cares if you take 1 hour to go across town or 3 hours to go across town.
And as for as mechanic taking up for mechanic, drivers take up for drivers, loaders take up for loader, etc... It happens because everyone in the same job tends to know what the other persons going through.

And as far being safety minded.
In the course of the last 6 months while covering on outbounds, while trailer guy is a lunch.
I've noticed that the majority of drivers that run the stop sign outside the shop are feeders, while talking on there cell phone, which by the way is against UPS policies.

local804

If someone is coming in and cleaning windows every night because of an injury then they are on TAW. Those are called DART injuries and are classified as OSHA code 3's. They aren't hiding anything from OSHA in trying to let the person earn their regular amount of pay doing a job that is less physical in some way from their regular assignment that continues to let them work at their assigned rate of pay. Disability pay is much less than a persons average pay. OSHA has no problem with that, and the CHSP programs, where OSHA prints guidelines that recommend hourly co-chaired safety committees, regular meetings, concerns logs in the areas, etc. etc. are all modeled (by the governments own admission) to be virtually identical to UPS's own program we developed in the 90's and OSHA then copied because they were so impressed by it. Also, although some areas have a higher frequency than the OSHA average for "service workers" be aware that that that category includes all sorts of jobs dramatically different than our own, including uniform cleaning service pick up/delivery drivers, hotel and motel housekeeping maids, etc. all lumped in together. By the way, even with those huge differences in phsicality between those jobs and our own, at the rate of decline in injuries UPS has continued to attain over the last five years, we will meet or beat even THAT funky "industry" average within the next 2-3 years.

Pagenpink,
I am very well aware of dart injuries and what happens when a call is placed. I am talking about osha reportable injuries where there is 1 day missing from work. We have had guys wash windows,tape packages,answer phones, and even watch safety movies for 8 hours. I am sure you will beat that "funky industry average" when you continue to cover up injuries. A worker has come to work in a cast and washed windows with one hand. The supervisor told him if you can only do 1 window, just do the best you can. If UPS wants to pay a guy 8 hours to clean 1 window just so he doesnt miss a day of work, I guess that explains why they are planning to lay off more people. I just hope the next group they layoff isnt you. lol

dragracer66

One mechanic sticks up for another big surprise! Make some sense next time when posting? What are you talking about being sent home for pulling a trailer with D.O.T. violations? Get a life? Read my previous post it still stands. I dont need another "wannabe" driver telling me to do my job correctly. You may know how to fix'em but don't show your ignorance of package or feeder driver jobs by telling me you're a better driver. Your right, I've never driven for any other company but you know something at 22 when I started driving I was trained well and after 19 years safe driving I've managed to keep my job without YOU( a mechanic) telling me buzzwords of driving safety. Finally I dont wish for anyone to be involved in a fatal vehicle accident that's why I consider myself a professional not a wannabe and if you do your job right we'll have no problems but I don't go giving presuming advice to any mechanic about thier work environment and that was my original point.

p.s. I got a life a brown one dont ya know.
Yea right....How many time's in those 19 eledge "safe driving" years did you have to cover up a small fender bender and your mechanic touched up the paint so nobody would notice? If you say never you full of crap and you know it. I never mentioned anything about DOT violation's, having 1 light out isn't a violation!!! I guess you were taught that in big rig school.

A

Anonymous GearJammer

The feeder driver that lost his life in Colorado on a Thursday was on his way back to his home domicile. He had a PH for Friday to celebrate his son's birthday and attend his college graduation. Second UPS driver fatality in Rocky Mtn District in less than a year due to not wearing a seat belt the other was a pkg car driver.

As for the mechanics there are the few bad apples that can destroy how you think of them. Lucky for us we have one of the best, he can fix anything never complains or makes excuses not to fix it, just the other day he changed two bald tires in less than 15 mins. which required going outside to find two matching than row them in get the jack and rest of equipment, thought I was at a nascar pit watching the tire change.