UPS is a joke! Not what it use to be and flat out sucks!!!!

PT Car Washer

Not everyone is cut out for driving. Earning slave wages for 10 years just to have a chance to work another 30 years driving is not worth it to some.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Its all about being patient with this job while your pt. Just look at the big picture in society today. Theres not alot of high paying jobs out there without a college degree. Does this job suck, hell yeah it sux lol. 90k a year dont suck though. I make more money than most of my buddies with college degees. Yeah the hours suck along with the harassment. And you have to work your balls off too. But you realize when your an adult you got big boy responsibilities so you gotta put on the big boy pants lol. I would rather work a job i completely hate and make big cheese than a job i love and make nothing at all. It takes money if you want to live a good life nowadays thats the reality in society today, everything is expensive.

PT Car Washer

I am sorry but I can not agree with working a job I hate for a few dollars. Guess I am just lucky I can do what I like for the same money and more time off.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Thats the bs you have to deal with to get to fulltime. I agree with ya it is bs. But thats how the game is played. The question you have to ask yourself are you willing to endure the mental and physical test their putting you through now to get to the point where your making 75k to 90k a year. Do you think you will find a job that pays that much?

- Most persons just beginning their career with UPS are looking at nearly 10 years before they ever get the opportunity to go FT. That's starting at $10,000/year and finishing around $20,000/year.
- These persons will sign off at least three contracts before they get a FT opportunity. I highly doubt PT wages will improve; in anything, inflation will cause the wage to continue its present value decline.
- Best case scenario, competitive pressures will likely force the wage progression 7-10 years. Worst case scenario, there will be a two-tier pay system (perhaps with an equivalent "UPS Home Delivery" that works Tuesday-Saturday).

If you're 18 and not interested in college, the opportunity's worth it. If you're 30 and trying to raise a family... it's not very doable.

When PAS came in they took away the $1.00 an hour extra for preload.

Over 10 years since PAS was implemented here, and we (including new hires) still receive the $1 premium for loading & sorting.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I tell alot of new guys that start too look around and ask what they see. They usually ask what am i looking for. I tell them to look at all the old head drivers they see. I tell them in the next 5 to 10 years at least 50 perent of these guys are going to be retiring. Theres going to be a boom of new driver hires like you wouldnt believe all across the board. Just gotta be paient.

PT Car Washer

There will be a lot more opportunities in the near future than there have been for the last 10 or 20 years. With retirements and other drivers bidding Feeders. Still not a lot of young people who can afford or willing to put their life on hold working min. wage and min. hours for the big pay off. A job you hate.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
There will be a lot more opportunities in the near future than there have been for the last 10 or 20 years. With retirements and other drivers bidding Feeders. Still not a lot of young people who can afford or willing to put their life on hold working min. wage and min. hours for the big pay off. A job you hate.

That's assuming the Baby Boomers retire "as expected." Of course, as evidenced on this forum, many are too intwined in the logic that they can't afford to retire until they have $1M in their 401K in addition to full pension & full social security. Meanwhile, the banks hammering this thought are making $$$$$$ and by the time the drivers' retire, they'll be several years from death.

PT Car Washer

Early retirement cost a lot of money. Great if you can do it. A lot of new drivers don't even start until they are 30 years old or more. Some closer to 40. Do the retirement math on them.

Gross67

Early retirement cost a lot of money. Great if you can do it. A lot of new drivers don't even start until they are 30 years old or more. Some closer to 40. Do the retirement math on them.

I cant believe the people here who say suck it up and that your quiting a high potential paying job. It's not like all I do is work 2 jobs like some of you in hopes of potentially becoming a driver... I am also a full time student studying accounting. UPS is pretty much a plan B for me. There are absolutely no students working the twilight shift but me at my hub.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Your right on that one. Def gotta be smart with your money. Big one is paying the house off before retirement. Job you hate that u make big bucks vs job u love n make little bucks, no brainer for me lol. Mind over matter for me. Its a jail sentence true dat. But well worth it when you get done serving your jail sentence lol.

PT Car Washer

Paid the house off about 20 years ago. Real conservative with buying stuff. Don't need a 4 door 4x4 truck when my little Ranger gets me back and forth to work just fine.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
If UPS is a plan b for ya thats awesome and i dont mean that in a bad way so dont take it wrong. Everyone has a different story and different path. Different scenarios for everyone. Alot of people may not have the structure or tools to do things different than working here. If you dont UPS is a great company and pays really well. Is it ran like poop, sure is lol. But the money,health benefits, and pension are there also. Everyone has a different path that their going to take to get them where they want to go.

PT Car Washer

If UPS is a plan b for ya thats awesome and i dont mean that in a bad way so dont take it wrong. Everyone has a different story and different path. Different scenarios for everyone. Alot of people may not have the structure or tools to do things different than working here. If you dont UPS is a great company and pays really well. Is it ran like poop, sure is lol. But the money,health benefits, and pension are there also. Everyone has a different path that their going to take to get them where they want to go.
I agree. The reason why I have stuck it out for 35+ years. Just wish the new hires had the same benefits I had when I was first hired. After 90 days that is.

Indecisi0n

Wow, I hadn't realized how much things have changed since I started out as a part-timer. My first three days we all held hands and sang songs together.

I hate to break it to you kids, but life is tough. People quit a lot of things because they aren't tough enough to handle it. They quit jobs, they quit college, they bail on their marriages.

We had part-timers quit at the first break years ago when I started.

I am thankful I didn't have to fight a war or settle the west with you cry babies. Boo hoo , you got dust in your eyes.

That dust could cause cancer.

JohnCandy1987

Words of truth my friend. It's hard to find a job that you are going to positively love and make a lot of money. What this generation don't get is that sacrifices have to be made in life. For me and you that's a lot of hours. 13 to 14 hours EVERYDAY. Regardless of what the Democrats say, life ain't a free lunch. Our grandparents had to do the same, why should we be any different? UPS has done a lot for me. Been there 8 years, went full time bout 6 months ago, have 2 and 1/2 years including reg temping. For me I am happy with $32 an hour! LOL

JohnCandy1987

I'm 26 and have been at UPS for 8 years now, 20 years to go. I started at $8.50. In 2005 oil prices went through the roof after Katrina hit. I was basically going to work just for fun. But I told myself, "It will be worth it in the end". It took me 8 years to get full time. 3 years of reg temping 7 months out of the year. I think you need to give it a little more time before you can just say, " UPS is a joke and it flat out sucks". It's hard to find a job that you will absolutely love and get paid $60,000 to $90,000 a year. You gotta take the good with the bad.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
What happened to the guy with no life that had the plan to retire by age 30 or something.
I think he lived on bread and bugs and his plan didn't work mathematically.

I think you can have a job you love and be paid well.........somewhere..........over the rainbow