UPS Issues Social Media Guidelines

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
...such as taking pictures of your on-car supervisor during a safety ride not wearing his seat belt with the door open and talking on his cell phone.
I don't think so. That spoke for itself, and as you can see, I'm still here. That wasn't the reason for my troubles, btw. Oh, and thanks for bringing that up for like the 25th time. I hope that when you do make it to your next K milestone, you'll give me honorable mention for the amount of times you have mentioned me in your posts. That makes me part of why you are where you are, ya know.

hmmmm.jpg

I am often surprised that corporate does not have someone join this site and somehow try to sway or influence public opinion.
I have a secret that I want to divulge. I am really Scott Davis and I care about your feelings. What are your problems and solutions because I want everyone to be happy at ups.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I have a secret that I want to divulge. I am really Scott Davis and I care about your feelings. What are your problems and solutions because I want everyone to be happy at ups.

This site is getting crowded with Corporate stooges ... they're all over the place. :funny:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I just wanted to get it over with Hoak. First thing Monday morning I want you in my office for a new special assignment. Your cover has been Blown and I'm really pissed.

Will do Scott ... are we going to keep Cheryl on as the proxy owner of this site? The charade can continue with her as our puppet.

The thing I like about this site is the diversity. Talking to guys like Tieguy and Hoaxter gives be a perspective that management is human. Getting along on this forum helps me out in my day to day battles in the trenches.

pretzel_man

I guess I just don't understand.... UPS put out a guideline on social media. UPS puts out a lot of guidelines, and most are common sense, like this one.

In this case.... Don't use company resources for social media. Don't post or blog on company time. Don't portray yourself as speaking for the company.

Why this simple message has to turn into a big deal is amazing to me. Here is some info I got directly from the pserson at UPS' responsible for monitoring social media:

UPS has three people who monitor social media. They use automated tools to show them trends in conversations about UPS. They will post using their real names to tell the UPS side of the story when appropriate. She said that posting anonymously as a representative of UPS is problematic and there have been lawsuits in other companies due to that.

I asked about the Brown Cafe, and they do not monitor it. As far as she knew (and as far as I know), no one at UPS is assigned to monitor this site. Of course, individual managers look at the site. I have seen posts from here transfered around in emails a few times, but generally not.

She is looking to see what customers are saying. She is looking to see hot topics and if the UPS brand is being impacted. Whether people here like it or not, this site is an anomoly and not representative.

I found a link on line with a video of the person who I spoke with. Its a couple of years old. It was earlier this year that I spoke with her.

http://www.socialmedia.org/blog/social-media-case-study-ups-presented-by-debbie-curtis-magley/

Listen to what she has to say and decide for yourself.

I'm posting what I was told first hand. Many may not like nor belive it.

Hoax, since you started this, if you know otherwise please say so.

P-Man

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I guess I just don't understand.... UPS put out a guideline on social media. UPS puts out a lot of guidelines, and most are common sense, like this one.

In this case.... Don't use company resources for social media. Don't post or blog on company time. Don't portray yourself as speaking for the company.

Hoax, since you started this, if you know otherwise please say so.

P-Man

I think you have it outlined pretty well here as far as what I know. I have never met Debbie but I have had a couple of hallway conversations with other people in Brand / Communications.

This what I included and bolded in my first post
I thought it was interesting that neither the blog nor the PDF file mentions Brown Cafe but that is probably that this is a Branding concern.

That is essentially what comes across in Debbie's video.

I don't think her group actually monitor's Brown Cafe but knowing the nature of the tools they use to crawl the web, BC posts do pop up on occasion.
I think they are more interested in Facebook, Tweeter, etc. where customers may provide feedback.

The most likely official monitors of Brown Cafe, just logically thinking it through, would be in the Human Resources and Security functions. HR would want to know how employees are reacting to changes, new programs, etc. Security would be interested in threats to UPS and to UPS employees that are indicated here.

Of course, there are many un-official monitors of Brown Cafe who bring certain posts to the attention of UPS Management. These are not systemic in nature but any post can be monitored by anyone within UPS.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
If you have nothing to hide then you should stop deleting [-]tieguys[/-] my posts about you being the company paid watchdog here so that we can all have a good chuckle. with you blocking [-]him[/-] me from posting and you deleting the few posts [-]he[/-] I was able to slip through it is difficult for us to see what is generating these chuckles.

what do you have to hide here that causes you to block [-]him[/-] me from the siite and delete [-]his[/-] my posts?

Of course, individual managers look at the site. I have seen posts from here transfered around in emails a few times, P-Man
Me too! I have been shown, on more than one occasion, something that I posted, or supposedy posted. I think my dispatch supe is our social media snoop, as well as the next mngr north of here.

Of course, there are many un-official monitors of Brown Cafe who bring certain posts to the attention of UPS Management.
+1

I was approached by the head of Corporate Communications last week and she said:
"The woods are lovely, dark, and deep, but I have promises to keep. And miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep. Remember. Miles to go before I sleep."

I had a strange tingling sensation in my right leg ... does this make sense to anyone out there?

Erectile dysfunction?

Well whatever the company wants to say they can say. As long as I have photos of the board in compromising positions with 5 guys I am safe.

tieguy

Banned
Me too! I have been shown, on more than one occasion, something that I posted, or supposedy posted. I think my dispatch supe is our social media snoop, as well as the next mngr north of here.

+1

I like the pic with the fed ex truck. Do you have anymore self serving poses for us?