UPS Lady Driver Stabbed While Delivering

outta hours

Fort Worth police shoot stabbing suspect

BY ELIZABETH ZAVALA
[email protected]

FORT WORTH -- A man and a woman were in critical condition Monday after Fort Worth police shot the man who they said stabbed a female UPS driver on her delivery route.
Sgt. Chad Mahaffey, a Fort Worth police spokesman, said officers were called to a reported stabbing at the Bent Tree apartments in West Fort Worth around 12:30 p.m. Monday afternoon.
According to witnesses, the man approached the UPS driver and repeatedly stabbed her in the back, Mahaffey said. The driver apparently broke free and ran from the suspect.
Mahaffey said the man had continued to chase the woman when they arrived on the scene. The first officer who encountered the man asked him to put the knife down, and that he refused.
A second officer also ordered the man to put the knife down, and he refused again. Then the officer fired a Taser device at him and the suspect charged that officer, Mahaffey said. As the man was charging the second officer who had shot him with the Taser, the first officer shot the man with his service weapon, Mahaffey said.
The UPS driver was taken to Texas Health Harris Methodist Fort Worth hospital, and the man was taken to John Peter Smith hospital. The officer who deployed the Taser device suffered minor injuries.
“According to witnesses and the preliminary investigation, this appears to be a justified use of force,” Mahaffey said.
Mahaffey declined to release names in the case, saying that major case unit would investigate the case as a critical police incident, which is routine in officer-involved shootings. He said the first officer to encounter the man has been on the force for four years, and the second officer, who used the Taser device, has been on the force for 11 years.
“A point to remember is that there are multiple victims in this case -- the delivery driver, and the police officers,” Mahaffey said, “Our hearts go out to everyone and their families."

"Justifiable use of force" ***? It would have been justifiable the minute he stepped toward the cop after being told to drop the knife.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I hope she is OK.

I hope UPS takes care of her and doesnt try to jerk her around on her workmans comp claim. She took a blade while doing her job, UPS needs to just step up and do the right thing.

I wonder what acronyms the Safety Committee is going to have her regurgitate when she comes back...I'm not sure that getting stabbed fits into any of the commentaries or checklists. They will probably have to invent new ones.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Prayers and best wishes to her and her family. This is just heart breaking, to have 2 incidents of this nature within a week of each other.

I do not wish the same for the suspect.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Unfortunately there might be some things behind the scenes that are not public knowledge at this time that could give UPS an out when it comes to this tragic story. I hope not, for her sake.

d

FedEX 4 Life

I hate hearing about stuff like this.I hope she makes it out ok and that UPS takes good care of her because all you guys n gals risk your lives everyday for them.

Last edited:

Jaws

Wow, prayers up for her. It sounds like that all of the details were not disclosed. I just hope UPS does its share in taking care of it's own.

I hope she is OK.

I hope UPS takes care of her and doesnt try to jerk her around on her workmans comp claim. She took a blade while doing her job, UPS needs to just step up and do the right thing.

I wonder what acronyms the Safety Committee is going to have her regurgitate when she comes back...I'm not sure that getting stabbed fits into any of the commentaries or checklists. They will probably have to invent new ones.
After reading this tragic event, I thought the same as you Sober. The only thing I could come up with is " Be aware of your surroundings".
As far as UPS taking care of their own, I have not seen any evidence of that happening lately.

The problem is there is no back ground in the story as to why he stabbed her, was it a robbery attempt, a road rage thing, did the driver know the assailant? We don't know, I just hope she makes it through this.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Tpl

To be fair, I have seen UPS go far beyond that extra mile for employees that get hurt, even while on their own time. Had a guy here involved in a MC accident, hit a guardrail, and UPS saw to it he got one of the best electronic arms available. Not insurance, but UPS.

And the feeder driver that was killed out of Ktown a while back. They have done tons for the family of that driver.

So while they do fall short at times, at others, they do shine.

Just being fair.

I do wonder how many times he was able to stab her, as she was trying to get away, and he was still after her when the police got there. That could be several minutes plus.

You want to talk terror........God bless her.

d

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
This is the perfect case for a driver to have a concealed carry permit. She could have turned and blasted him. . . . no need for police that are minutes away. She might not be in as bad a shape if she handled it herself. When dealing with the public you need to have your head on a swivel. Know your surroundings. Hope she makes it through.

Red Dawn

After reading this tragic event, I thought the same as you Sober. The only thing I could come up with is " Be aware of your surroundings".
As far as UPS taking care of their own, I have not seen any evidence of that happening lately.

The problem is there is no back ground in the story as to why he stabbed her, was it a robbery attempt, a road rage thing, did the driver know the assailant? We don't know, I just hope she makes it through this.
said on news this afternoon she is doing better. sounds like she will be ok
How about keep your eyes moving, or be aware of you surroundings

celsiana

The newspaper reported a witness ID the man as a Sudanese Lost Boy. Rufugee from the civil war. Reasons there to be crazy I guess. But in my opinion it appears he was on "meth"

Prayers to her and her family. What a nightmare. That would be something to try and get over.