UPS Light

C

cold

I am a young driver with ups. I worked part time for 7 years, and have been full-time driving for 4 years now....and Im not even 30 yet.I like reading some of the posts from older drivers on here that are positive, it gives me hope that I will be able to retire from this company...but sometimes I wonder if I will make it. This postal thing worries me. I would like to believe that we would keep some of the stops, but you know the company...step over a dollar to grab a dime. I just think that the growth that has happen in the 70's and 80's is gone. The only time part-timers will be able to drive will be because of retirements, not growing volume or growing areas. I know that the company,(and the teamsters) want growth, because this means job growth, but Im starting to wonder???If anyone has some words of wisdom....please share. Im not saying that there will never be any new driver jobs, but someone shouldnt wait 20 years to get one. The way this company is moving I would'nt be surprised if the union will be out in 20 years also. Im proud to tell people I deliver to that want a career change to come to ups. I tell them that if they can work in the warehouse for a while, they can have a good job driving someday. But Im starting to doubt that. Is there any good news in the horizon????

A

afups

Look for good news and you will find it.

Look for bad news and you will find it.

Keep an open and positive mind.....

D

dannyboy

"Look for good news and you will find it.

Look for bad news and you will find it.

Keep an open and positive mind....."

Let me add "and you will find the truth"

Yes, I see UPS around in 30-50 years. Will it be the same UPS we have now? Nope. But is UPs the same as it was when I started 30 years ago. Nope and thank God for that.

This company is evolving and growing with the needs of the economy. As such, we will grow into the future. Will the growth be like it was in the past? Prob not. But when I started we were still not a coast to coast delivery company. There were places we did/could not deliver to like we do today. And with the growth into air services and international, we experienced very rapid growth in our core business.

What is exciting is the way technology has played a major role in our business. 20 years ago who would have ever thought that tracking a package would be sooooooo important to the average customer, but it is. And most importantly, WE filled that need for the customer.

So as our customer's needs change, and the core of our business changes, so must we. And as we change to meet the challenges, we WILL not only survive the future, but will lead the way for the other would-be's to follow.

d

D

dammor

Danny,

UPS light is just now beginning to tricke down to the masses here. I may have been wrong in my earlier post suggesting we should perhaps let UPS run with it without a fight. The main problem here is that we have no information on how this will work. Our center team has not even been informed of the details yet. Meanwhile we are hearing of packages already being delivered by USPS with our bar code and a USPS confirmation
or whatever they use on it. These are not what one would consider rural either. I'm not sreamimg the sky is falling yet, but I am concerned. I have never enjoyed seeing the union taking on the company, but if we don't get some solid imformation and get it fast, this is gonna get ugly real fast.
I'm sure it already has and we just don't know it yet. We are talking jobs here, and I am willing to fight for that.

Any news or thoughts?

B

brownmonster

Is it not true that one of our selling points is that the pkgs will be handled by brown shirts all the way through the system.

D

dammor

The UPS powers that be have surely suffered a stroke and their peers are not aware of it.

D

dannyboy

Yes that has been a selling point all throughout UPS history.

But before we talk about a strike, we need to know more about what is actually going on. If there are packages that are ours, packages that the shipper wants UPS to deliver, and those packages are given to the arch rival, then yes there is a problem. A very large problem.

But as of yet I have not had concrete evidence shown to me of this happening.

I do know that a certain Mr. HAll was very upset over the proposals that he saw. So I dont know what to think right now.

I just dont ever want Brown to be the grinch that stole christmas.

d

D

dammor

As I said before, we need some imformation here.
Is that too much to ask? Hell, you'd think we were working for the CIA instead of UPS. Whatever the plan is we should be privy to the details so we can make an attempt to adjust at least. Why is it that everytime things start looking up someone makes a decision that kicks us all in the stomach? I hope it is not what it seems. We will see...

T

tieguy

One thing I did see is that there is no tracking with this service. Its no frills all the way.

M

mripld

One thing I did see is that there is no tracking with this service. Its no frills all the way.

All packages are to PLD and SMART compiant, this way they can flow through automated small sorts.

It's intreasting how everyone is saying the Post Office will be delivering UPS's packages.It's the other way around UPS will be delivering Post Office packages. The shippers in question( I beleive to be 4 - LL Bean, Chevalleia,sp., HSC and one that escape my memory)are all post office accounts who are being serviced entirely by the PO. With this service UPS takes the place of the consolidator and will make final delivery on most packages. Giving the non-profitable ones to the PO. A very small %. Word I hear is the Post Office is not too happy. I wish UPS would communicate this out better. From what I know.... it's seems like a huge win for all involved at UPS.

Rich

A

afups

What I am getting from all of this is:

If we gain new shippers like llbean and others, they will give us thousands of packages for shipment across the country. When they get sorted, most will be delivered by UPS and some that are addressed to rural areas will be given to the post office. Prior to all this we did not get any of these packages for delivery anywhere.

Those that we deliver to the consignee should help us improve our delivery costs in residential areas.

Prior to all this, none of these packages could have been tracked and some may have taken weeks to get to their destination based on personal experience. The shipper will still not be able to track them but I am betting that delivery times will improve.

Looks like everyone wins.

D

dammor

Seems we are all saying,"From what I hear"
We wouldn't even have to go through this if the powers that be would treat us and our management with a bit more respect. Everyday we make this company what it is. If we can't get respect for that, we at least deserve the details of any new plan that will affect us. What concerns me is that with all the ill willed discussions going on in most every center that the company has not stepped forward and given a reason to stop it.
Why not nip it in the bud if our concerns are not true?

R

rushfan

Just a couple of years ago, we were against the usps. There are too many un answered questions about this service. I see usps will be delivering them, and then I see ups will. Not even our center, nor district manager knows who will do so. I asked them personally.
I guess it's wait and see, and hope those who made the decision, did the right one.
When we are asked to write our congressman against the usps, what are we supposed to do now?

T

toonertoo

I agree with Rushfan. All we heard for years was how we were fighting against USPS because they had the unfair advantage of being government and not needing to make a profit, and now we are in bed with them? It would also be nice if we were informed about service enhancements before the whole customer base starts asking us and we are DUHHHH, we havent been told anything. It may be a good thing, sounds like it could be if it isnt used to control volume, and does increase our fulltime base. But I see ways of it being used in incorrect ways, but of course until we are told we cannot evaluate.

F

feeder

LL. Bean? I remember delivering so many of those packages years ago before they went to the post office, I still remember their shipper number if some of the older delivery drivers can confirm this.....ups shipper #172-446...

K

kidlogic

LL Bean didnt goto the post office. I live 60 miles away. They use Fedex. I hear runors that they might be heading our way. Fedex wants them to use their Fedex home delivery ,but LL Bean thinks that service isnt good enough. Look to see after the xmas season if they are coming to the side of the good guys. Last 3 digits were 358 of LL bean I believe.

W

wily_old_vet

Look at the thread "UPS Basic" I listed all the regulations for it that were listed on UPSers.com. Heard from a friend who said their center was told that it was going to be Fingerhut and the cheese shippers using this option. If that's true all you young drivers are in for a real treat this Christmas.

D

dannyboy

HEy wiley

You recon they will give drivers more than one helper since we are getting all this volume back?

d