UPS Loaders, how Does your Facility Handle Miss Loads?

JDAM00

I've never gotten an out of sync, or even heard of an out of sync miss load. I think our drivers are pretty good about not calling those in to save our butts. As far as our facility goes, the drivers are very adamant about the "us versus them" hourly Teamsters vs supervisors and management. I saw a sup pick up a package, it was her second week, a driver ripped her a new one about taking loaders work. It was intense.

Our sup has calmed down with the warning letters. Not sure why, I think drivers now grieving every miss load a sup picks up to deliver might have something to do with it.

On Friday I was told I had a miss load, but "I've seen improvement and am letting these slide". Turns out it wasn't my miss load. Lazy part time sup who connects who to what miss load assumed I've been on the same trucks all week, but I was on one set thurs, and Friday was on a different set.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Out of sync misloads occur when the SPA person scans the bullseye on one package and applies the PAL to a different package. Preloaders would catch these if they had the time to compare the PAL and physical address. Out of syncs are an operational nightmare.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Out of sync PALs are the most common misloads that we have.

In the BOG.

Out of sync misloads occur when the SPA person scans the bullseye on one package and applies the PAL to a different package. Preloaders would catch these if they had the time to compare the PAL and physical address. Out of syncs are an operational nightmare.

Time they do not have, and even then they would actually have to know the area they were loading.

oldngray

nowhere special
By methods a preloader is supposed to confirm the PAL matches the address label. They are not trained to do that though and if questioned will claim they don't have time to read the addresses.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
By methods a preloader is supposed to confirm the PAL matches the address label. They are not trained to do that though and if questioned will claim they don't have time to read the addresses.
We have time to read addresses, i do everyday. It's just easier not to, and hence out of sync misloads.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Waste of time. Just throw them in the truck and let the driver deal with it.
drivers have enough to deal with. Loaders need to compare pal labels to address labels...that's how i was trained. We used to get SALTed everyday years ago. Not anymore. Many newer people aren't trained to load that way.

PT Car Washer

drivers have enough to deal with. Loaders need to compare pal labels to address labels...that's how i was trained. We used to get SALTed everyday years ago. Not anymore. Many newer people aren't trained to load that way.
You need another truck to load. Too much time on your hands. That is how our management team looks at it. Misloads are crazy and now air drivers are not allowed to deliver ground. Just drive by it and give the misload to regular driver to deliver. I love misloads.

Last edited:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
..... now air drivers are not allowed to deliver ground. Just drive by it and give the misload to regular driver to deliver. I love misloads.

I've talked to a couple drivers since I retired, and between injuries and vacations, my old center is running air drivers and porters on full routes.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You need another truck to load. Too much time on your hands. That is how are management team looks at it. Misloads are crazy and now air drivers are not allowed to deliver ground. Just drive by it and give the misload to regular driver to deliver. I love misloads.
I load 1200-1500 pkgs a day between 4 trucks. Do the pph math. I average one misload a week. My center manager has no complaints, so why are you talking? So because I can load my trucks by address and not pal, because that's how my drivers prefer it, and my trucks don't look like i piled it in with a shovel.... i have too much time on my hands? No, it's called DOING MY JOB CORRECTLY and my drivers have a better day because of it. You'd feel differently about misloads if you were some customer sitting at home, waiting for NDA plane tickets that show up two hours after the flight takes off because some idiot loader buried the envelope on the 8000 shelf (bad example with computers but catch the drift)

PT Car Washer

We have a few Preloaders like you and their drivers love them. I mean no disrespect to you just to the system. You and others with the same attitude are the reason we are so good.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
We have a few Preloaders like you and their drivers love them. I mean no disrespect to you just to the system. You and others with the same attitude are the reason we are so good.
Thank you. And the system is crap. If you have two bulk stops (say walmart and kmart), and I know you hit kmart first, would you rather have walmart stacked neatly behind kmart so you can get to the kmart packages? Oh no but both stops are PAL'd to RDL, and i can't read addresses so I'll just jam all 50 of them on the floor any which way and you sort it out....that works.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Thank you. And the system is crap. If you have two bulk stops (say walmart and kmart), and I know you hit kmart first, would you rather have walmart stacked neatly behind kmart so you can get to the kmart packages? Oh no but both stops are PAL'd to RDL, and i can't read addresses so I'll just jam all 50 of them on the floor any which way and you sort it out....that works.

You remind me of a loader I had long ago on a 98% rural route I had. She was good enough, that other than peak, I never had to touch a box more than once. You guys (girls) are gold, and should be appreciated by your drivers.

Your name isn't Vicki, is it?:wink2:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You remind me of a loader I had long ago on a 98% rural route I had. She was good enough, that other than peak, I never had to touch a box more than once. You guys (girls) are gold, and should be appreciated by your drivers.

Your name isn't Vicki, is it?:wink2:
lol no Cosmo, and there isn't a rural area for 60 miles in either direction where I live. :::laughing:::

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Not many gravel roads on Long Island? How about corn or soybean fields. Ever watch reruns of Green Acers?
A) I wasn't even talking to you. B) WTF is your point?? Are you from NY? It's not 1957! There are no rural ups routes on long island. Just because a driver has a stop at the Long Island game farm, doesn't make theirs a rural route. Every other private road in East hampton (which is 60+ miles from me) is gravel, that doesn't make it farmland. Somehow, I don't think the fine, wealthy people from the Upper East Side blow 2 million on a summer house in the Hamptons to harvest corn. Perhaps to run backwards through it naked, but they don't grow it. They're too busy spending $115 on a hoodie because it says "Three Mile Harbor" on it. Anything else you'd like to argue with me about tonight?? Green acres, seriously? I need more beer.

JDAM00

I go through my trucks and read as many labels as I can. After a while on a set of trucks you know the area bulks are at least being paled to, and can organize them. I put all the dock deliveries on the back and bury the late in the day awkward packages.

At least in my building, management has really shortened up our hours, and are really starting to cram packages down our throats. They put the harder working loaders on more trucks, its hard damn work, there are high expectations and I'm not complaining! But it bothers me when guys who have been driving for 10 years think that the problem is just lazy loaders. We do not get an easy deal, we are on that belt earning our stripes and hoping to make 34 an hour on a nice rural route some day. I don't think driving is easy by any means, but its at least your killing yourself for 70k a year instead of 10.50 an hour.