UPS loses lawsuit

barnyard

KTM rider
We have quite a few women in our center. As a rule, the best preloaders are women. Their loads are almost always easier to deliver.

I suspect that as a percentage, we have the same number of subpar woman drivers as we do subpar male drivers.

BrownArmy

My opinion is based on my experiences in my center. If things are different in yours, great. I'm sorry to have upset you so

No worries, I'm not upset...

It's interesting though (isn't it?) that some of the initial responses to this thread went straight toward talking about how women drivers can't pull their weight...which has zero to do with the Original Post:

"In the 2009 accident, Ms. Ibarra was driving a UPS truck when it hopped a curb and hit a telephone pole, causing no injuries. Trial witnesses testified that several male UPS drivers from the same facility in Odessa were allowed to keep their jobs despite being in far worse accidents, including two accidents involving fatalities and others involving serious injuries.Trial testimony also showed that UPS managers gave Ms. Ibarra more packages to deliver than her male counterparts, including one incident when a manager set aside six 100-pound packages for Ms. Ibarra to deliver between 9:30 and 10 p.m. even though she was pregnant at the time."

Sooooo.....replace the female driver in this scenario with a male driver who was on the hit-list (for whatever reason) by management.

Hopefully, either way, you'd be on the driver's side.

rod

Retired 22 years
I won't get into the "who's better" argument but I know for a fact that the few idiot customers who used to go out of their way to try to make my day harder by ignoring me when I had an arm load of packages would trip over each other to hold the door and carry packages for the gal who sometimes would cover for me when I went on vacation. No-- she wasn't a beauty queen either. Women UPS package drivers are treated differently than men by both UPS management and customers. It was especially true when we had a women center manager ---she would go way overboard with the favortisim toward "her gals".

Indecisi0n

I have nothing against women. The women at our center can def pull her own weight. I just find it intimidating that her balls are bigger than mine.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I find that hard to believe, I have yet to see a woman worked as hard as a man at UPS

For whatever reason, the women at my center are treated like gold. pathetic

I have no doubt there are some burly ones out there lol

My opinion is based on my experiences in my center. If things are different in yours, great. I'm sorry to have upset you so
Why would anyone be mad at such a pathetic soul? He is just showing how ignorant he is. I pity these people's wives. How low their self-confidence must be to feel they have to tie themselves to such an ignoramus.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I find that hard to believe, I have yet to see a woman worked as hard as a man at UPS

For whatever reason, the women at my center are treated like gold. pathetic

I have no doubt there are some burly ones out there lol

Who are you to judge me? Just because you don't like what I have to say doesn't make it any less valid of an opinion.
Then, I suggest, you take your very own advice. If that isn't sufficient, you are an ass. It's an invalid point because I'd work circles around you. If God gave you the ability to give birth, then I might not have this opinion. When you pump a 10 lb basketball out of your ass, come talk to me.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
People are different. People are capable of different things. Some can do things that others cannot. This doesn't make them bad employees. It is front-line managements' responsibility to put people in the position that they are most likely to succeed, while getting the most out of them that they can.

I intentionally used 'people' instead of 'women' because that's the nature of it. I am quite athletic and more than capable of running laps around whomever you put in front of me, but I know plenty of men who are some of the worst performers out there. And then you have young vs old. As I said already, people are different. While there are extreme cases where these differences are taken advantage of, I think we need to practice a little bit of acceptance of these differences in performance. I think it's silly to assume that a 58 year old mother of 3 is going to be just as capable, physically speaking, of a 29 year old jock. But if she is doing the best she can with honest effort and it's meeting the general goals set for her and her route, than who is to judge? I would EXPECT them to expect MORE from me because of my physical advantage. That doesn't hurt my feelings, as it shouldn't for anyone else. My best may be better than her best, but that isn't anyone's fault.

ppHATE

No worries, I'm not upset...

It's interesting though (isn't it?) that some of the initial responses to this thread went straight toward talking about how women drivers can't pull their weight...which has zero to do with the Original Post:

"In the 2009 accident, Ms. Ibarra was driving a UPS truck when it hopped a curb and hit a telephone pole, causing no injuries. Trial witnesses testified that several male UPS drivers from the same facility in Odessa were allowed to keep their jobs despite being in far worse accidents, including two accidents involving fatalities and others involving serious injuries.Trial testimony also showed that UPS managers gave Ms. Ibarra more packages to deliver than her male counterparts, including one incident when a manager set aside six 100-pound packages for Ms. Ibarra to deliver between 9:30 and 10 p.m. even though she was pregnant at the time."

Sooooo.....replace the female driver in this scenario with a male driver who was on the hit-list (for whatever reason) by management.

Hopefully, either way, you'd be on the driver's side.

It's sad how easily divided these replies were. I'm in management and the first thing that jumped out at me was that this was a case of management targeting someone and jumping at the first chance to "discipline" them.

barnyard

KTM rider
Thinking about this a bit today.

Think about your own opinion of a guy that is a slacker.

Now, think about a woman that is a slacker.

Interesting to me that we give so much grief to a chick that rates rarely a 2nd thought to a dude.

As the dad of 2 daughters, that bothers me.

Ms.PacMan

I am an evil beotch to mgmt for this exact reason. I didn't want any special favors. Another thing that helped me was being a bid cover driver for many years. Some guys would be upset when I ran their route in the same time but I always appreciated the guys that were man enough to admit that I worked damn hard to keep up with them and respected me for it.

I'm an old girl now - if the young male drivers can't run circles around me then that says more about them then it does about me.

InsideUPS

Funny thing is they watch every nickel but watch dollars fly out the window daily.

You are so absolutely correct. UPS is truly a "penny wise......pound foolish arrogant company"... A great example is not hiring one or two additional part-time employees at $8.50/hr. to make sure that an entire preload operation gets done on time. They would rather send out 50 to 100 drivers or more out late and pay them overtime at $48/hr.

InsideUPS

Odessa Woman Wins $600,000 Verdict in Sex Discrimination Case Against UPS - Yahoo! Finance

I'm surprised that Ms. Ibarra and her lawyer did not also bring a lawsuit against her Local or the Union in general for failing to properly represent. At some point in time, (at the State Panel for example) the Union side of the panel had to decide with the company in terminating her job.

InsideUPS

Odessa Woman Wins $600,000 Verdict in Sex Discrimination Case Against UPS - Yahoo! Finance

In my recent experience of representing a driver who was almost discharged because of an "accident", I'm surprised that more drivers do not get their own lawyer and file a lawsuit against UPS/Union for wrongful discharge. UPS's philosophy is the complete opposite of the judicial system...which is "Guilty until proven Innocent". I had a Labor Manager come across the table at me when I quoted State and City Code indicating that the other person involved in the accident was actually at fault. The Labor Manager became enraged and yelled "I don't care about what the other person did".

I totally empathize with most of the drivers as most of them simply take suspended days without pay rather than chance losing their job at the panel. It is about time that someone without balls.....had the balls to take on Big Brown....