UPS Man Throws Package Video

mlhradio

I ran across this on Digg today (apologies if this was brought up earlier, I checked and couldn't find any reference to it here) There's a short video making the rounds of a home security camera showing a UPS delivery man tossing a package over short gate towards the front door, the owner comes out of the house a few seconds later:

The video is currently on the front page of Digg, and in less than a day it has 268,000 views.

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
I like how he walked in front of the P/C. Was she saying "Thank You!" or "This is my stem-ware for my daughters wedding this weekend, I hope they are all in one piece!"

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Looks like he chucked it to the lady. Not his fault if she missed catching the pkg.:happy2: Not only did he walk around front, he parked on the wrong side of the street.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
In 8 years, I've probably done that 8 thousand times.

Tell them to file a claim instead of acting like it was on purpose.
The film was sped up a bit and looked worse. I hope the customer's shirts were unharmed.

mlhradio

As a driver's helper this season, I probably ran across 20 to 30 little gates like this on the route each day. 95% of the time, it's just a small latch-gate, I would open it up, and walk five to ten feet to the front doorway. Only a couple of gates would be locked up (usually tall ones), if it was a small and/or light package (envelope, couple of pounds), it was easy enough to toss it over the top or slip it underneath. For heavier packages, or boxes that sounded "fragile" we would just leave it outside the gate.

And then at the end of the route there would be a couple dozen stops where there were driveway gates - big houses on multiple acres. But the driver had worked the route for over a decade, and knew what to do with each and every house on the stop - which ones had gate codes, which ones to use the call button, which ones to leave at the front gate, outside the gate, inside the gate, which ones he had to drive all the way up to the house, which ones would send a servant down to pick up the packages, etc. Each one had a different preference.

Yeah, the video does not tell the whole story - who knows what was inside the box? What if it was one of those DirecTV boxes, which contains nothing more than the cardboard to return the DirecTV unit? Or clothing?

Even so, I was instructed by my driver to handle packages a little more...gently. However, I'm not so quick to judge based on just the video. One interesting point - if the timestamp on the video is correct, this was taken in 2006, right? Why the video now?

The arm chair experts are coming out of the woodwork. He could have done a little smoother job of it though. Hard to tell the whole story form just the tape.

U(s)PS Guy

I had a customer call my store about 2 weeks ago asking how to file a claim. According to this person, the driver tossed the package over a fence and broke a bunch of figurines on the inside. I would be amazed if this was that exact situation

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sad you're arguing what side of the street, because to me it looks like a one-way (maybe more easily recognizable up here in the great New England states) ...:p There likely was no side of the street

S

speeddemon

Excellent form. Notice how he stayed in his power zone and didn't go past his end range.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The video is from 2 years ago. I just find it funny that someone would upload the video after 2 years. It's basically an exact replica of the other video where the driver tosses the package because the shrubs were untrimmed and he couldn't go through.

I exaggerated in my previous post about doing it 8000 times, but there are plenty of boxes that weigh nothing that you can toss at a small distance.

The video is from 2 years ago. I just find it funny that someone would upload the video after 2 years. It's basically an exact replica of the other video where the driver tosses the package because the shrubs were untrimmed and he couldn't go through.

I exaggerated in my previous post about doing it 8000 times, but there are plenty of boxes that weigh nothing that you can toss at a small distance.
I don't disagree with you, however my prediction of a warning letter is based on someone getting caught on tape working outside of the proper methods. If you throw a package, period, don't be surprised if you get a warning letter.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
you can see th shadow of the package car is almost touching hte opposing driveway.

After further review, I see your point, I can see which side he's on as he passes the tree. No time out will be charged. No more tired posting for me.:wink2:

Here's a point for you, 555. If the video is dated, say, 2006 and it shows up 2 years later, can they actually still give him a warning letter, even though so much time has passed.

Here's another point. OJ was found not guilty of murder. What if a video of the slaying popped up, say, one year later, and the video shows him in the very act; Could he be punished even after being found not guilty?