Ups mechanics

dragracer66

Hello, just curious how UPS treats their mechanics (I've searched w/o finding much). An opening became available near me for 6:00am to 12:00 pm for a tractor/ trailer mechanic. Any ideas what the pay scale would be? $30 an hour seems to be the average. It's in Northern California.
First off if its part time you will only get 5 hours a day. Secondly starting pay for part time is $14.00 under the new agreement unless you go full time someday, you will NEVER see $30.00 per hour. If you do go full time you will be in a 2 year progression and you have to get your ASE certs and a CDL before you can be a top rate journeyman mechanic. Most likely its a night job. I don't see the local letting the company hire off the street for a day job. Full time has rights to day work first before a part time or a street hire does. That's also in the contract. Fill out the application and find out the particulars. For the most part its a good job with a great IAM pension. I've got 27 years in and I live quite comfortly. Good Luck....

Job is located in California's Central Valley... I remember one time it was like 50 degrees out and I had to put a sweatshirt on. Haha. The app got turned in, so I'll let things play how they may. What certs does ups look for? Ase master tech or oem certs? I have none from either. Only thing I have on my side is youth and experience. I'll be 29 in late October and have turned wrenches on everything except cranes and earth moving equipment for about 14 years, with otr tractors and trailers being the bulk of it. So far, my work history has been enough.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Job is located in California's Central Valley... I remember one time it was like 50 degrees out and I had to put a sweatshirt on. Haha. The app got turned in, so I'll let things play how they may. What certs does ups look for? Ase master tech or oem certs? I have none from either. Only thing I have on my side is youth and experience. I'll be 29 in late October and have turned wrenches on everything except cranes and earth moving equipment for about 14 years, with otr tractors and trailers being the bulk of it. So far, my work history has been enough.
Certs aren't as important as experience at UPS. My experience prior to UPS about matches yours except it includes locomotive engines.

On average, how long does the hiring process take? I submitted my app on sep 5th, but when I try to schedule for an interview, it tells me there's no more appointments available. I usually check on that a couple times a day.