UPS "Mind Control" Real

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Sorry, I was one step ahead of myself. Tell me how following work methods is not a part of managements job? Is that why so many management people are working on crutches and have had back surgeries?
The point was about a Center Manager or Business Manager knowing how to "deliver a package using the proper methods".
The center manager's job is about watching the numbers and planning.
Knowing how to deliver a package using the proper methods is at least a couple dozen down in priority on his her list of tasks or knowledge units.
No one should know the methods better than an experienced driver and the On-Car Supervisors.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The point was about a Center Manager or Business Manager knowing how to "deliver a package using the proper methods".
The center manager's job is about watching the numbers and planning.
Knowing how to deliver a package using the proper methods is at least a couple dozen down in priority on his her list of tasks or knowledge units.
No one should know the methods better than an experienced driver and the On-Car Supervisors.
I do occasionally see managers working, and you are 100% correct and apparent that working by the methods is quite far down on the priorities list. ;)

JL 0513

Unlike most lines of work, UPS has built in time measurements for just about everything and generate reports on everything. This is their primary way of driving top efficiency out of you. They throw the report in your face if you are over-allowed the previous day in an effort to keep you running. They feel and make you believe that the report legitimizes their criticism and that you must be slow. Other work environments have no such metrics to hold you against.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Unlike most lines of work, UPS has built in time measurements for just about everything and generate reports on everything. This is their primary way of driving top efficiency out of you. They throw the report in your face if you are over-allowed the previous day in an effort to keep you running. They feel and make you believe that the report legitimizes their criticism and that you must be slow. Other work environments have no such metrics to hold you against.
I know of no large company this is true of.
Companies that don't have this have a strong market niche or go out of business.

In fact, a medium sized restaurant has to have these or they are out of business within a year.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I recently read an exert from "ups the totalitarian workplace".
It states that supervisors are supposed to gain your trust to run your career etc. Also, it mentions company spying. There's Also a rumor I heard that upsers.com is a site that can spy on any device it's accessed through. Thoughts or experiences, anyone?
So UPS knows my browsing history? Oh.

rod

Retired 22 years
I know of no large company this is true of.
Companies that don't have this have a strong market niche or go out of business.

In fact, a medium sized restaurant has to have these or they are out of business within a year.

You are right-- to a certain point--- but I have never heard of a restaurant or for that matter any other business actually timing you while you went to the bathroom. Not to say some places wouldn't get on you about how long it took but to actually stand outside the bathroom door with a stop watch and physically time you ----- I don't think so. I've had that done to me by a young female taking a time study on my route. I asked her what her boyfriend though of her timing strange guys taking a piss. She got all huffy and screamed "It's just part of my job---we have to account for EVERY second of your day. Apparently she had heard that question one too many times.

rod

Retired 22 years
Photog ---I see you gave my post about being timed while taking a wiz "funny". It is -but then again its kind of sad UPS has to stoop to that level.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You are right-- to a certain point--- but I have never heard of a restaurant or for that matter any other business actually timing you while you went to the bathroom. Not to say some places wouldn't get on you about how long it took but to actually stand outside the bathroom door with a stop watch and physically time you ----- I don't think so. I've had that done to me by a young female taking a time study on my route. I asked her what her boyfriend though of her timing strange guys taking a piss. She got all huffy and screamed "It's just part of my job---we have to account for EVERY second of your day. Apparently she had heard that question one too many times.
Time Studies have to account for all time the driver was on road.
No one actually uses the bathroom time for anything.
Another case of perception taking over without looking at or understanding work measurement.

rod

Retired 22 years
Time Studies have to account for all time the driver was on road.
No one actually uses the bathroom time for anything.
Another case of perception taking over without looking at or understanding work measurement.

You are going to actually try to tell me that time wasn't added to my "break" time? What column would it be added to then if not "break time".

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You are going to actually try to tell me that time wasn't added to my "break" time? What column would it be added to then if not "break time".
It was not unless the driver declared it as such.
Just like talking to customers, giving directions if asked, etc.
The developed standards include about a 40% additive to account for these "imperfections" to a perfect day.
That is the reason many drivers can run unallowed no matter what route they are on.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
UPSers, as a whole, do not understand how a driver time study is "worked up".
Only the work related tasks and occurrences are included in the work measurement.
The non-work related items are sub-totaled and even broken out.
No driver bathroom breaks are included in the work measurement standards or time allowances.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

I always keep a copy of a paycheck in my pocket.

Whenever a sup shows me a piece of paper with my numbers on it and tells me that they are not acceptable, I pull out my paycheck, point to the gross earnings and tell him that this is the only report, the only number, that I care about.

It always leaves them speachless.