UPS mismanagement....

UPS1907

Well the day has finally arrived (or the peak anyway) where the PUBLIC finally got to see how mismanaged UPS is. Bad management, outside hires and people in positions that have no clue have been rising for years, and now it's come to a head. I know there are a lot of IE, BD, and logistic people who think they really drive this company, but they need to get out of the offices.
UPS management avoids operations because it's hard work and long hours. It's much easier to be an IE person sitting around on conference calls telling OPs Managers what the centers are doing wrong (in their eyes anyway).

The failures this peak have to be placed on THOSE people and above, NOT the operators. Unfortunately, they won’t.

I’m sure after the new year, the conference calls will start back up with a clueless IE people saying “you’re center is one trip over plan” or “you have one too many people on your sort”.

Thank God for the mute button, because the disconnect between the people on each end of these calls is wider than it has ever been. Operators laugh on one end, while upper management, IE or whoever thinks operators don’t listen and refuse to comply with what they want. I wonder how many 14 hour days those office people put in this year? The operators in the centers drive this company not these people setting forth bad plans and have never worked in a center in their lives.

2013 proved that.

This, my friends, is the beginning of the end. The failures this year will make UPS more nuts next year. More conference calls, less resources, and more people outside the centers who have NO CLUE what they are doing.

In the end, UPS thinks technology will solve all their problems. Get rid of management or pay them less. We have technology and IE people that can run centers. Well, we saw how that worked for 2013.

Happy New Year!!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Outside of labor negotiations, I never dreamed I'd see the amount of negative press towards UPS. (Obviously FedEx as well) If you read the comment sections, which you can feel the real pulse of an article, the obvious separation of hard working front line workers and greedy corporate is hugely apparent.

I never thought I would see the day UPS's lean and mean business model would be opened on the front pages. You can't work your employees to full capacity and expect to be able to absorb the unexpected. I'm happy to see that the public is not fooled.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Outside of labor negotiations, I never dreamed I'd see the amount of negative press towards UPS. (Obviously FedEx as well) If you read the comment sections, which you can feel the real pulse of an article, the obvious separation of hard working front line workers and greedy corporate is hugely apparent.

I never thought I would see the day UPS's lean and mean business model would be opened on the front pages. You can't work your employees to full capacity and expect to be able to absorb the unexpected. I'm happy to see that the public is not fooled.
I have not seen any news talking about "You can't work your employees to full capacity and expect to be able to absorb the unexpected."

I have seen lead-ins saying the employees are working long hours to try and get the job done.

I have also seen every spot this morning including:
1) People waiting too late to order
2) Amazon "pointing the finger" at UPS when they were promoting last minute ordering
3) FedEx is having problems too

Still negative press but a lot more balanced this morning.

I don't know if any real decision makers are watching these news clips and if so, will what they are seeing sway their decisions.
For the real decision makers, the lack of an alternative carrier limits any real choice.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
If every driver in every center is working 10-12 hours on Xmas eve and we still failed. Many would consider that "working your employees to full capacity and unable to absorb the unexpected".
The comment sections are full of this, no more apparent than UPS's facebook page and also mainstream news sites like NBCnews.com. The love for how hard the face of the company (UPS drivers) worked and the wrath of bad business planning by corporate is pasted on every other comment.

I am not disagreeing with your post but I'm sure decision makers have watched every news clip and read every article and comment section available to them.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
I have not seen any news talking about "You can't work your employees to full capacity and expect to be able to absorb the unexpected."

I have seen lead-ins saying the employees are working long hours to try and get the job done.

2) Amazon "pointing the finger" at UPS when they were promoting last minute ordering

I don't know if any real decision makers are watching these news clips and if so, will what they are seeing sway their decisions.
For the real decision makers, the lack of an alternative carrier limits any real choice.

Alternative carriers are out there and ready to use our results against us to take market share. Regional carriers are back!

http://m.benzinga.com/article/4169650

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Alternative carriers are out there and ready to use our results against us to take market share. Regional carriers are back!

http://m.benzinga.com/article/4169650
And there is little that UPS can do about it as their labor cost is so high.
Go apply for a job with these Regional Carriers ... Wal-Mart might be a better choice.
These Regional Carriers take the cream off the top for lower cost lanes.
As a consignee, I like a uniformed person in a company vehicle coming to my house.
I feel like my house is being caged every time I get a delivery from LaserShip.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
... I'm sure decision makers have watched every news clip and read every article and comment section available to them.

More than likely, they have not watched or read any.
They are busy doing their job and trying to manage customer recovery and retention due to transportation failures within their own company.
I doubt if they rely on Social Media and 24-hour Media news blurbs to get their information. At the same time, it may cause them to analyze service provided and consider alternatives.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

Just found this article on a major news website

http://www.today.com/news/frustration-support-workers-social-media-over-delivery-delays-2D11805924

AND IT BEGINS

UPS1907

One thing is for sure, Corporate UPS will use this Christmas to either give no raises, or a very low MIP or both. Corporate UPS defines the new corporate greed.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Ouch

UPS is not the UPS of old. Its a bigger picture with more people to satisfy. Labor cost has nothing to do with the problems of peak. Stock prices are what drove the failure. More work with less people=more profit. UPS could have hired the drivers to put on road without hurting their record breaking profit. It just didnt make sence to the shareholders who are greedy and want to see the most in their return. Going public is the absolute worst thing UPS could have done in my opinion.

I saw the writing on the wall. Stupid IE planning people were using numbers from last year and the year before. The economy is slowly rebounding. How can you use historical data? You can't. Also it doesn't help that UPS goes bare bones at all times and scrambles at the last minute. Well UPS upper management can now sit with the egg on their faces. You want to work your front line people to death and expect the job to always get done. This is what happens. One day you will not be able to finish on time. The preparations that were done were poor at best and I am glad that most people are thanking the hard workers and killing upper management.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I saw the writing on the wall. Stupid IE planning people were using numbers from last year and the year before. The economy is slowly rebounding. How can you use historical data? You can't. Also it doesn't help that UPS goes bare bones at all times and scrambles at the last minute. Well UPS upper management can now sit with the egg on their faces. You want to work your front line people to death and expect the job to always get done. This is what happens. One day you will not be able to finish on time. The preparations that were done were poor at best and I am glad that most people are thanking the hard workers and killing upper management.
KingofChester (KOC) beat you to it and he posted his prediction back in October.

Ouch

Fox news just reported they will give refunds on non delivered packages and $20 gift cards for future purchases. I wonder how much of that refund will come from the ups end? Way to go board members. I havent looked to see what our stock is today but I will be curious as to what this will do to it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Fox news just reported they will give refunds on non delivered packages and $20 gift cards for future purchases. I wonder how much of that refund will come from the ups end?
Way to go board members.
I havent looked to see what our stock is today but I will be curious as to what this will do to it.
UPS contract with Amazon eliminates damage claims and guarantee refunds - pretty standard for larger shippers.

UPS Stock up $0.04.

Ouch

UPS contract with Amazon eliminates damage claims and guarantee refunds - pretty standard for larger shippers.

UPS Stock up $0.04.
Thats pretty good to have that clause In their. Doesn't seem like a very smart business decision on amazons part. Seems like the refund would help their negative when it comes to free shipping. I also heard that they have lost money every year due to the free shipping. Don't know if thats true or not. Haven't been able to research that yet.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Thats pretty good to have that clause In their. Doesn't seem like a very smart business decision on amazons part. Seems like the refund would help their negative when it comes to free shipping. I also heard that they have lost money every year due to the free shipping. Don't know if thats true or not. Haven't been able to research that yet.
The extended tier pricing includes a "percent off" to account for damages and service failures.
I don't know the exact amount bit would not surprise me that Amazon may be paying as little as 50 - 60 % of the published price.

There is a per occurrence cost incurred with the processing of a Claim or GSR/ASR on the shipper and UPS side. It saves money to eliminate these non-revenue generating costs for Amazon and UPS.

Ouch

Hey hoaxster have you also heard that amazon is losing money every year due to the shipping? I understand what your saying about the shipping cost and refund percentages, just seems to me that wouldnt be enough to keep amazon operating in the green. Beyond my education I guess, but if they are reporting a loss every year how long can they continue to stay in business. On the other hand they are kind if screwed with the shipping end, the usps cant handle it so who would be left other than ups and fed ex? Fed ex doesnt want it so it kind of narrows it down. The solution goes back to having the personel and equipment to handle such a season as peak. Then that goes to getting projections right. Unfortunately the customers just see the drivers and will voice their concern with us. That is unfortunate cause in our district they dont need driver input lol lol lol lol lol.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hey hoaxster have you also heard that amazon is losing money every year due to the shipping? ...
Yes I have.
It is a common topic on the Business News channels.

"When is Amazon going to have to start charging for shipping."
Usually every quarter after Amazon publishes the fact that they have never made a profit.

Ouch

Thats what is amazing to me. I've never seen a company that looses money every year and continues to build distribution centers and employee so many people. Its beyond me.