UPS mismanagement....

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Thats what is amazing to me. I've never seen a company that looses money every year and continues to build distribution centers and employee so many people. Its beyond me.
Amazon does a whole lot better than UPS does in using the equity from public stock to make capital investments and acquisitions. That was "supposedly" why UPS went public ... to be able to use the money from stock purchases by the public to make acquisitions.

afterthought

NFL No matter what the story or excuse, a losing record, the new coach goes
in a winning teams past long history of success.

I wonder how much longer Mr. Scott stays.

The famous younger generation term' "just saying"?

worldwide

Well the day has finally arrived (or the peak anyway) where the PUBLIC finally got to see how mismanaged UPS is. Bad management, outside hires and people in positions that have no clue have been rising for years, and now it's come to a head. I know there are a lot of IE, BD, and logistic people who think they really drive this company, but they need to get out of the offices.
UPS management avoids operations because it's hard work and long hours. It's much easier to be an IE person sitting around on conference calls telling OPs Managers what the centers are doing wrong (in their eyes anyway).

The failures this peak have to be placed on THOSE people and above, NOT the operators. Unfortunately, they won’t.

I’m sure after the new year, the conference calls will start back up with a clueless IE people saying “you’re center is one trip over plan” or “you have one too many people on your sort”.

Thank God for the mute button, because the disconnect between the people on each end of these calls is wider than it has ever been. Operators laugh on one end, while upper management, IE or whoever thinks operators don’t listen and refuse to comply with what they want. I wonder how many 14 hour days those office people put in this year? The operators in the centers drive this company not these people setting forth bad plans and have never worked in a center in their lives.

2013 proved that.

This, my friends, is the beginning of the end. The failures this year will make UPS more nuts next year. More conference calls, less resources, and more people outside the centers who have NO CLUE what they are doing.

In the end, UPS thinks technology will solve all their problems. Get rid of management or pay them less. We have technology and IE people that can run centers. Well, we saw how that worked for 2013.

Happy New Year!!

Part of the responsibility for this situation has to lay with Amazon. The online giant said, as part of its traditional post-holiday recap, that more than a million customers, a new record, had signed up for Prime membership in the third week of December, the key week to qualify for guaranteed holiday delivery. Since Prime offers "free" guaranteed two-day delivery, the unplanned extra volume that flowed into the UPS and Fedex systems was a recepie for disaster and that is exactly what happened.

If Amazon depends on UPS and Fedex to fulfill the promises they make to their customers (and they do), they need to do a better job of communicating their plans with their delivery partners. Both UPS and Fedex make peak plans based on forecasted volume (economy, projections from customers, etc). Amazon suddenly adding 1 million customers to the shipping mix was not part of the plan so UPS and Fedex can not be faulted for having at least a million unplanned air & ground packages added to the system days before Christmas. It's not simply a matter of adding addtional aircraft, trailers and delivery vehicles a few days before Christmas-every plane, trailer and package car was already taken. Add in some volume that was already behind from various weather events around the country and it makes for an ugly situation.

I don't believe this can be blamed on squarely on UPS management. Where there could be some blame on UPS management is that they did not say "no" when certain large customers came to them at the last minute and said - "here's tens of thousands of unplanned packages to delivery, please help."

ActionJaxson

Amazon does a whole lot better than UPS does in using the equity from public stock to make capital investments and acquisitions. That was "supposedly" why UPS went public ... to be able to use the money from stock purchases by the public to make acquisitions.

We also went public under the guidance of Scott Davis to pay off the taxes owed IRS for the Overseas Partners LTD debacle.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
One thing is for sure, Corporate UPS will use this Christmas to either give no raises, or a very low MIP or both. Corporate UPS defines the new corporate greed.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Not sure why we would get a LOWER MIP, stock at an all time high, more packages than you can shake a stick at, labor costs lower then 2012 (cause we didn't hire anyone)...

feel free to add to the reasons we will not get a decent MIP number...

I was pleasantly surprised at the 2013 number...don't let me down please.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Not sure why we would get a LOWER MIP, stock at an all time high, more packages than you can shake a stick at, labor costs lower then 2012 (cause we didn't hire anyone)...

Because they can and there ain't spit you can do about it?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
We also went public under the guidance of Scott Davis to pay off the taxes owed IRS for the Overseas Partners LTD debacle.
The taxes were never paid and if so, they were so small as to be essentially zero.

The reason UPS went public was to use other people's money to buy acquisitions to diversify and grow the company and to line the pockets of BOD and Management Committee to some extent.

Karma...

My view is this..sure, Peak 2013 wasnt perfect..However, we will learn, rebound & execute a better plan in 2014. I have no doubt that UPSers will come together....The nay-sayers & complainers have to go...We dont need pusillanimous of either gender in the coming UPS....Either Lead, Follow or get out of the way !

UPS1907

I was pleasantly surprised at the 2013 number...don't let me down please.

Why didn't we get raises in 2010? Why did UPS change the MIP program to make everyone wait over 5 years to get stock? Why did UPS just drop all management spouses (if they work)? and Why did UPS incorporate your 1/2 month Christmas bonus into your salary and THEN come up with salary bands. I think the company is making ONE element on their fantastical BSC.
Seriously....

Sent using BrownCafe App

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoax....my first post didnt say "kitties"....it was changed to "kitties" thus suddenly losing its "impact"
Oh ... that is the automatic censoring for banned words.
You can't use the word pusillanimous or the singular pusillanimous

LOL

OK, it means you have to be a bit more creative.Come up with the word and I can edit it in for ya.

slantnosechevy

My view is this..sure, Peak 2013 wasnt perfect..However, we will learn, rebound & execute a better plan in 2014. I have no doubt that UPSers will come together....The nay-sayers & complainers have to go...We dont need kitties of either gender in the coming UPS....Either Lead, Follow or get out of the way !

Hilarious !!!

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Oh ... that is the automatic censoring for banned words.
You can't use the word kitties or the singular kitty

LOL

OK, it means you have to be a bit more creative.Come up with the word and I can edit it in for ya.

And, apparently, any time I would use my sister's name, it would be changed to Nancy.

That's totally wrong.