UPS " My Choice"

AKCoverMan

Wow.... That really surprises me.

The centers were not even supposed to know what time the four hour window is.... It was supposed to be an approximation without any change in the center's or driver's work.....

Exactly.. I thought the 4 hour window had about the same meaning as checking off a time window on infonote about when we would be back tomorrow.. i.e. not much meaning at all.

I'm thinking it was just the Hot New Thing So It Better Work syndrome.

pretzel_man

Exactly.. I thought the 4 hour window had about the same meaning as checking off a time window on infonote about when we would be back tomorrow.. i.e. not much meaning at all.

I'm thinking it was just the Hot New Thing So It Better Work syndrome.

I don't even know how your cener knew the window.....

Its not on any report that I am aware of.

I am wondering if this was a special case.

bigbrownhen

I thought there would be a commit time shown it the Diad like an air pkg. Why all the secrecy about the commit window? Makes sense that both management and the driver are aware of the commit time so service would be made. Just because EDD asigned it to a certain driver doesn't mean that's the correct one to get the job done.

pretzel_man

I thought there would be a commit time shown it the Diad like an air pkg. Why all the secrecy about the commit window? Makes sense that both management and the driver are aware of the commit time so service would be made. Just because EDD asigned it to a certain driver doesn't mean that's the correct one to get the job done.

When there is a commit, the DIAD will know. You will see the window and also be warned ahead.

But.....

There is a time shown to the customer that is not a commit. Its shown on all mychoice packages. There is no promise to deliver in that window.

UPSGUY72

When there is a commit, the DIAD will know. You will see the window and also be warned ahead.

But.....

There is a time shown to the customer that is not a commit. Its shown on all mychoice packages. There is no promise to deliver in that window.

Only the 2 hr window is guaranteed wait till peak come around and your sup start telling you to deliver the 4 hour window packages in trace.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Although it may not be apparent, MyChoice utilize lots of internal UPS technology. It uses DPS, PAS, EDD, etc. As far as I know, FedEx doesn't have that technology.

In addition, FedEx's ground operation is delivered by contractors. That also reduces their ability to match this service.

I hope the Marketing people are right about the need for these type of services. If they are right, it can provide long term benefit to UPS.

P-man I'm not sure why you wouldn't know this but both fedex air and ground have a pal system. Express uses small yellow stickers that tell their drivers where in the truck to load packages...they use a hin number system. Interesting enough fedex ground uses white pal labels that are very similar to ups...has a car number then a shelf number assigned to the package. Now I don't know if their scanners have a delivery order or if they can print out a paper hardcopy,I'll have to ask one of their drivers this week...but both units have this technology.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
How many years have you worked at UPS, Steve? It's called PEAK! What rules???
I just started in 2010. I think I need someone like YOU, to hold my hand, and help me deliver my pkgs. Well, maybe just to hold my hand. Wow, this is nice, I can flirt, and not feel guilty.

pretzel_man

P-man I'm not sure why you wouldn't know this but both fedex air and ground have a pal system. Express uses small yellow stickers that tell their drivers where in the truck to load packages...they use a hin number system. Interesting enough fedex ground uses white pal labels that are very similar to ups...has a car number then a shelf number assigned to the package. Now I don't know if their scanners have a delivery order or if they can print out a paper hardcopy,I'll have to ask one of their drivers this week...but both units have this technology.

I've seen those PAL labels on some FedEx ground packages. They certainly are not system wide. I don't know how they could be since its contractor based.

I have never seen one on an express package. I'd be interested in a picture of one on an express package.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
you know, years ago i could tell you within 15 mins where i would be at any given time of the day, now, with the gift of edd and pas my customers and myself will get a 3 of 4 hr window, who knows what splits/ add cuts i will have.. good luck with this gimmick, the drivers will be the ones who break trace , lose time and the company loses money, to make sure this idea works and looks good on paper,,to appease the Almighty ignorants who think this is a good idea

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I've seen those PAL labels on some FedEx ground packages. They certainly are not system wide. I don't know how they could be since its contractor based.

I have never seen one on an express package. I'd be interested in a picture of one on an express package.
That can be arranged, I'll get a ground picture, as well.

you know, years ago i could tell you within 15 mins where i would be at any given time of the day, now, with the gift of edd and pas my customers and myself will get a 3 of 4 hr window, who knows what splits/ add cuts i will have.. good luck with this gimmick, the drivers will be the ones who break trace , lose time and the company loses money, to make sure this idea works and looks good on paper,,to appease the Almighty ignorants who think this is a good idea
LOL, the runner/gunner's holster, has dropped to his ankles, Ha Ha Ha..........................WAIT, IT WAS A JOKE! All I have is my reputation, LOL.

satellitedriver

I still can tell where I will be inside a 15 minute window.
I look at my load.
I scan thru my DIAD.
I call the center to tell them what I will miss to be able punch out by 10PM.
Center says no help available.
5 to 10 deliveries are not made every Monday, due the ADD/CUT'S.
If my 25yrs of area knowledge means nothing, so be it.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
I still can tell where I will be inside a 15 minute window.
I look at my load.
I scan thru my DIAD.
I call the center to tell them what I will miss to be able punch out by 10PM.
Center says no help available.
5 to 10 deliveries are not made every Monday, due the ADD/CUT'S.
If my 25yrs of area knowledge means nothing, so be it.

10 pm!! If your telling the truth than thats just disgusting , area knowledge used to be the best tool out there, now,just follow trace, us idiot drivers only lie,cheat and steal from the company,,thank god for IE to tell us the right way

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
10 pm!! If your telling the truth than thats just disgusting , area knowledge used to be the best tool out there, now,just follow trace, us idiot drivers only lie,cheat and steal from the company,,thank god for IE to tell us the right way
I think sat has a different start time, than "normal". Oh, and here's some good news for you. Our "runner/gunner" that got canned just a short while back, is back on the road, as of yesterday. Pull from a curb, wrong side of street, causing a tier 3 with injuries, hmmmm?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I think sat has a different start time, than "normal". Oh, and here's some good news for you. Our "runner/gunner" that got canned just a short while back, is back on the road, as of yesterday. Pull from a curb, wrong side of street, causing a tier 3 with injuries, hmmmm?

Was the company serious about canning them and the union got their job back or was it a dog and pony show ups style???

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Do you know how long it's been since I've held hands??? I'm not even sure what to do anymore?!?!?!?! LOL!!
Do you know how long it's been since I, uh, well, just since?

Was the company serious about canning them and the union got their job back or was it a dog and pony show ups style???
He had to go to panel, but I think it was dog and pony, since he's "their boy".