UPS New Hire Probation Period?

jesus_saves

I have a question about the ups probation period. Tomorrow I will be hitting 30 work days. I started June 21st. So is the probation period 90 working days or just 90 days after you start. Thanks in advance everyone

It's 30 working days, and you're off. Don't know where you got the 90 days from, that's when you get your first raise though. You should be done on your 31st day.

Last edited:

midwestmess

Here in the Central States region I believe its only 30 days. I was not aware that other districts had different probationary periods for there part-timers

browniehound

Sometimes you get lucky and your Steward's name really is Stuart, but the odds are against it. :wink2:

Probation periods may vary from one Supplement to another. Sometimes 30 days, sometimes 90 days. Might be calendar days, might be work days.

Some partial Supplements are here . . .
http://tdu.org/node/1617

HA HA, that's too funny. I usually don't like to make of spelling errors, but this is one that is too common in this forum that I have no mercy and must laugh!

What if though your shop "steward" name was "Stuart"? Would it be incorrect to say "I talk with my shop Stuart and Stuart advised me to not say a word".

No, It still doesn't work even if his name is Stuart. Oh well, we tried!

Its a quirk of the English language that we still have idiot Americans that can't distingquish between "Shop Steward" (He is a 'Steward' of you labor interests') and the name 'Stuart' (Like "Stuart Little"!). Stuart Little dosn't care if you get you 8 hours of work everyday, but if Stuart Little is the shop steward
then he does care!
Its just too funny that we are talking about this.

Hey Hey Stuart, or Stew-ee, have a good night! LOL

UPSGUY72

It should be (30) thirty working days. How ever if you missed a day of work they have the right to start the (30) thirty days over again.

Fullhouse

In our supplement it is 90 progression for drivers, so I tend to think it will be the same for part timers. The new guys kinda got screwed on this last contract. Second thought I think we all got got screwed! 1/2 of our raise for 6 months. with the over time we are getting that could end up to be some serious cash. We had 2 guys on the contract negotiating teams (1 master 1 supplemental). This fall there will be a local election. To add insult to injury they will offer us a $7 t-shirt and ask for our vote!

JonFrum

It should be (30) thirty working days. How ever if you missed a day of work they have the right to start the (30) thirty days over again.
Now where exactly in the New England Supplement does it say that???

Here's what the Supplement actually says . . .

ARTICLE 57 --- SENIORITY
Section 1
"(b) All new employees shall be hired on a thirty (30) day's trial basis and shall work under the provisions of this Agreement within which time they may be dismissed without protest by the Union. However, the Employer may not layoff, discharge or discipline for the purpose of evading this Agreement or discriminating in any manner prohibited by law. After thirty (30) day's trial period, they shall be placed on the seniority list as seniority employees in accordance with their date of hire provided, however, that an employee must work a minimum of ninety-six (96) hours during his thirty (30) day's trial period.

In case of discipline within the thirty (30) day period, the Employer shall notify the Local Union in writing."

I believe the 96 hour reference is intended for full-timers.