UPS new hire training class

staticx

Hello, new here and I tried searching the forums to see if this question has been asked and nothing showed up. I just got hired to work as a seasonal driver and I will be attending the training class starting on Monday.

My question is, on the prerequisite packet that I got it says there will be a written test on that Monday and the test will cover the Space and Visibility section that I must pass with a 98-100%. It then says if the student does not pass this they will have to retake the test in one year. So is this true for the class? I'm a little nervous about this, because I am terrible at memorizing test sheets.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The Space and Visibility information is on upsers. I have never seen the test that you are talking about but would think that it is multiple choice. The S & V stuff is not that difficult--you are worrying for nothing.

staticx

The Space and Visibility information is on upsers. I have never seen the test that you are talking about but would think that it is multiple choice. The S & V stuff is not that difficult--you are worrying for nothing.

Oh ok, well the reason I am wondering is because the HR lady told me to know this S&V stuff word for word

UPSGUY72

You are required to be able to rattle off the space and visibility stuff verbatim before you can pass the class. I know when I took the driving class we had to rattle it off as we where driving around with the trainer.

staticx

You are required to be able to rattle off the space and visibility stuff verbatim before you can pass the class. I know when I took the driving class we had to rattle it off as we where driving around with the trainer.

So is there more driver training involved in the training class? I took a driving test with the station manager and I passed.

UPSGUY72

Doesn't matter I know when I took driving class the seasonal guys only got two days of training and by the second day they had to be able to rattle off the S & V stuff. While us full time driver got four days of training and on the four day had to rattle the stuff off.

Maybe it's different in NY but thats the way it is in Southern New England

UPSGUY72

So is there more driver training involved in the training class? I took a driving test with the station manager and I passed.

Ya they do that to make sure you can drive a stick and the car itself. The Sup that gave me my test said he has had people not even get out of the parking lot. If you can't drive a stick or drive a package car some what safely than you'll never get to drivers school.

staticx

Ya they do that to make sure you can drive a stick and the car itself. The Sup that gave me my test said he has had people not even get out of the parking lot. If you can't drive a stick or drive a package car some what safely than you'll never get to drivers school.

Ok oh. I've been comercial driving for almost 10 years (FedEx and some other delivery companies), I already have a ok paying job now, mainly took this seasonal drivers job to get my foot in the door as they say. So to the guys that are full time drivers, should I try the seasonal route and hope for a chance to be hired one day or stick with my ok paying job? I have a 9month old to take care of and just want to do whats best for the future.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ok oh. I've been comercial driving for almost 10 years (FedEx and some other delivery companies), I already have a ok paying job now, mainly took this seasonal drivers job to get my foot in the door as they say. So to the guys that are full time drivers, should I try the seasonal route and hope for a chance to be hired one day or stick with my ok paying job? I have a 9month old to take care of and just want to do whats best for the future.

That depends--will the "ok paying job" let you take a leave of absence for a month or so? Your UPS gig, if it happens, will end Dec. 24th, so talk to your boss and see if he can get by without you and if your job will be waiting for you Dec. 26th.

staticx

That depends--will the "ok paying job" let you take a leave of absence for a month or so? Your UPS gig, if it happens, will end Dec. 24th, so talk to your boss and see if he can get by without you and if your job will be waiting for you Dec. 26th.

Yeah I work for a pretty cool boss that lets me pretty much have any day and how ever long off, not paid unfortunately, but I will always have a job with him

UPSGUY72

It's up to you but your chances of getting a full time drivers job without first working part-time either in the moring or night are slim to none. For every 6 part-time employees that UPS hires as full time driver they hire one from the outside.

I'm not say that you don't have a chance to become a full time driver just that your chances are slim.

UPSGUY72

Yeah I work for a pretty cool boss that lets me pretty much have any day and how ever long off, not paid unfortunately, but I will always have a job with him

Well if you want any day and how ever long off you want then stay there. If you want a good pay check and 8-10 hrs a day on work then ou'll be happy at UPS

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Well if you want any day and how ever long off you want then stay there. If you want a good pay check and 8-10 hrs a day on work then ou'll be happy at UPS

But if he goes seasonal he will be out of work on the 24th and, like you said, with the 6 to 1 he will have a very hard time getting hired to drive unless he works on the inside first.

staticx

I would rather work the 8-10 hours a day and make a good living at it but if its comes to having to work part time for who knows how long to just get a driving job here I would have to stay at my current job. The UPS driver that I know was hired from the outside, first started as a seasonal driver and recommended I try it this way first. If I was single this wouldn't be hard to decide. Man decisions decisions

UnconTROLLed

perfection

Here Dec 31st is usually the last day for seasonals.

pudg00

pudg00
I started as a seasonal and worked until Jan. 3rd. Hired full time the next week. I got lucky that we were hiring drivers at that time. 2 seanonals got on. This is very rare. The class is the same for full time drivers as seasonal. Know the space and vis. stuff and the rest of the class takes care of it's self.